Top air RTAs

Status
Not open for further replies.

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
Not yet. Haven't had any need to. I can check when I get home.
Please do. And if you can spare another 30seconds, please tell me what the diameter of the top metal part is on which the delrin top cap resides. I'm trying to find a 3rd party drip tip with the closest possible fit, that's why I need this number. Thanks in advance, that helps me a lot.

Reactions: Shawn Hoefer

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Please do. And if you can spare another 30seconds, please tell me what the diameter of the top metal part is on which the delrin top cap resides. I'm trying to find a 3rd party drip tip with the closest possible fit, that's why I need this number. Thanks in advance, that helps me a lot.
The tank sections are interchangeable as are the o-rings. The base of the included 510 drip tip is approximately 16.5mm. The diameter of the platform is approximately 19mm.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Bought a bunch of 'em for side by side comparisons. So far, I have the following:

Wotofo Sapor 25
OBS Engine
OBS Engine Mini
OBS Engine Nano
OBS Engine II
GeekVape Zeus
GeekVape Zeus Dual
Kaees Solomon 2
Digiflavor Themis Standard
Vapefly Horus
QP Juggerknot
Augvape Intake
Aspire Cleito EXO (with RBA)
Smok X-Baby (with RBA)

ON ORDER:
UD Athlon

Have I missed any? If I have, speak up and I'll add it to the collections for testing.

Meanwhile, I'm gonna start building and vaping these in earnest. I'll post my thoughts...
Apparently, I can't edit the original post anymore... Wanted to add that I am ordering the Dead Rabbit RTA on Monday. That said, I'm not convinced that it's a big improvement over the original Engine RTA.

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
Beautiful. All falls into place ^^

It's just a pity that the glass from the Engine2 doesn't seem to be compatible with the original Engine, because then fatboy/bubble glasses would be in reach as well.

Wanted to add that I am ordering the Dead Rabbit RTA on Monday. That said, I'm not convinced that it's a big improvement over the original Engine RTA.
Engine, Engine 2, Engine Sub, Geekvape Zeus, Zeus Dual, Digiflavor Themis ... pretty much the same stuff, eh? Why change a winning concept?

vexx

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
No parts allowed
Beautiful. All falls into place ^^

It's just a pity that the glass from the Engine2 doesn't seem to be compatible with the original Engine, because then fatboy/bubble glasses would be in reach as well.

Engine, Engine 2, Engine Sub, Geekvape Zeus, Zeus Dual, Digiflavor Themis ... pretty much the same stuff, eh? Why change a winning concept?

Similar.. but they don’t vape the same

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks

I disagree... The Zeuses... Um... Zeusii and Themis and Intake and... Well, they have air that enters at top, but come at the coil from the side or bottom. The original Engine lineup, and now the DR, have air that comes in the top and hits the top of the coil. While both work, I feel like more air gets to the coils with the newer (excluding the DR) tanks.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
The DeadRabbit RTA is absolutely a step back imo.
Or to say it with Don29palms words:
"The Dead Rabbit is garbage".
First time I'd agree. At least compared to the other RTAs on the list.
Can't agree or disagree yet... But I'll post an opinion when mine has arrived. Just doesn't LOOK like any kind of improvement...

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Geek Vape Zeus (single)
20180825_113105-1396x1861.jpg
This is a single coil banger with top airflow that is channeled to the sides of the coil.
20180825_111859-1396x1861.jpg
There's plenty of space in here for some chunky coils. I'm running a 3.5mm SS316L fused clapton (26x2/36). It'll fit a bigger coil, but I'm running this because I feel it'll fit in all the single coil tanks I'm comparing.
20180825_112224-1396x1861.jpg
I want the airflow aligned with as much of the coil as possible...
20180825_112246_HDR-1396x1861.jpg
It's important to wrap the coils counterclockwise to minimize twisting when installing.

The cotton has to be, comparatively speaking, quite long. I want it to reach the base... Just brushing it...
20180825_112513-1396x1861.jpg
Longer, because not only does it have to reach the base, but also because it has to kind of twist around to get to the wick channels. I think I'd much rather have a straight shot, and I don't understand the rationale here...
20180825_112658-1396x1861.jpg 20180825_112706-1861x1396.jpg
Vapor production is a little diminushed, being a single coil, but the flavor is good.
20180825_114428-1396x1861.jpg
The Geek Vape Aegis is not terribly good with TC with the version of the firmware I'm running (1.24... The latest), but it'll do... At least it's not all over the place wavy... It's just not as warm as I'd like with the settings I use on other mods. I have it set to TC-SS at 55 watts, and 460F to get to my happy spot. Most other mods feel about the same at 420F.

In wattage mode, I'm running this 0.28Ω build at 55 watts. The tank will keep up if it's wicked JUST right. It's finicky to say the least, and it's taken me some 3 or 4 attempts to get it balanced between flooding and dry hits.

I like it, but there are better wicking, easier to build single coil, top airflow tanks on the market now...

ETA: Only available with a straight glass tank fitted over a cage... Limited juice capacity (4ml) is another downside... Already having to refill...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread