Not open for further replies.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
This is one of my favorite reads.

I do have a question: does anyone know if the press fit issues with the first run of black Zues X have been resolved?

I have one that I purchased right when launched. And cannot fill it more than 1/3 full without it dumping massive amounts of liquid up through the air flow.

Understand that this is not a wicking issue. This is a manufacturer defect. I have communicated with Geekvape and the hoops they want me to go through are not worth it. If the issues is resolved I would buy a replacement or a different similar rta.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.
As I never experienced that issue, I cannot say...

Reactions: Letitia

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
I’m glad you haven’t. It’s terribly frustrating. It vapes great but I have to constantly fill because I cannot fill past half the Zues face on the chamber. So it stays home. It’s not allowed out and about.

• Agree
Reactions: Jebbn

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
This is one of my favorite reads.

I do have a question: does anyone know if the press fit issues with the first run of black Zues X have been resolved?

I have one that I purchased right when launched. And cannot fill it more than 1/3 full without it dumping massive amounts of liquid up through the air flow.

Understand that this is not a wicking issue. This is a manufacturer defect. I have communicated with Geekvape and the hoops they want me to go through are not worth it. If the issues is resolved I would buy a replacement or a different similar RTA.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.
I’m glad you haven’t. It’s terribly frustrating. It vapes great but I have to constantly fill because I cannot fill past half the Zues face on the chamber. So it stays home. It’s not allowed out and about.
Perhaps try this:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
The reasoning: emphasize CONS over PROS before buying a tank.
There may be many reasons for you to expect a tank to be GOOD: colors, deck structure or may be a new innovative feature etc.
My experience: don't rush into buying one before you study its CONS...

No matter how many nice features you find in a tank, it only takes 1 frustrating factor, yes! a single one which is lousy enough and you will end up putting the tank aside from your daily rotation...

Becareful and be smart, OK?
Frustrating factors from your pov hiclass is the point. To some of us maybe not frustrating or have found a good solution.

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016

Perhaps try this:

Oh yes. I did. It’s a temporary fix as any wobble will cause the issue to reappear. I appreciate it. Plus consider me old fashioned but if I pay 30 dollars for something I shouldn’t have to hit it with a hammer to make it work correctly.

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
Oh yes. I did. It’s a temporary fix as any wobble will cause the issue to reappear. I appreciate it. Plus consider me old fashioned but if I pay 30 dollars for something I shouldn’t have to hit it with a hammer to make it work correctly.
True you should not have had to fix that issue.

Remember,anything you buy that is press fit runs the risk,if not sealed properly of,coming loose and you will need to fit it back. Not excusing it just saying it does happen. Remember what happened with those press fit 510's on a certain device(I won't name) a year ago that came out. It happens ??press fit devices usually in vaping should not exist unless sealed,my opinion ??

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Get a bigger hammer LOL

• Agree
Reactions: Mordacai

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA

I've seen the hammer repair and shudder at the lack of craftsmanship in the video. Hit it with a hammer or rock or something? No, not a good way to deal with a simple problem. Too easy to get the part partially seated and cocked a bit sideways. Get a cheap drill press vice like this one:
4 In. Drill Press Vise

And use this to reseat the offending part. It doesn't take much pressure at all (or much time... about 5 seconds) and it will be aligned straight and seated properly so it should not be a problem again. I've done a couple of projects like this, including a friend's Zeus X, and the problem did not reoccur later. A proper fix should be sufficient while beating with a hammer, rock, tire iron, or whatever is dubious at best. A vice like this will be handy for lots of small projects and is a very good inexpensive investment and can be stored away easily always ready for another small project.

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
I've seen the hammer repair and shudder at the lack of craftsmanship in the video. Hit it with a hammer or rock or something? No, not a good way to deal with a simple problem. Too easy to get the part partially seated and cocked a bit sideways. Get a cheap drill press vice like this one:
4 In. Drill Press Vise

And use this to reseat the offending part. It doesn't take much pressure at all (or much time... about 5 seconds) and it will be aligned straight and seated properly so it should not be a problem again. I've done a couple of projects like this, including a friend's Zeus X, and the problem did not reoccur later. A proper fix should be sufficient while beating with a hammer, rock, tire iron, or whatever is dubious at best. A vice like this will be handy for lots of small projects and is a very good inexpensive investment and can be stored away easily always ready for another small project.
I have a vice. How much pressure would you estimate that you used and also was there a noticeable click into place?

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
I have a vice. How much pressure would you estimate that you used and also was there a noticeable click into place?

It takes very little pressure really, maybe 5 to 10 lbs. on the handle if I were to guess. It doesn't click into place, it just slides into place and you'll know you have bottomed out when the pressure increases but the handle of the vice doesn't move... then just stop. Hard to explain since it's a "feel" thing, but you will know and you won't have to put a lot of muscle into it since you are only going to move it maybe an 1/8". Just use a small pieces of wood or plastic on both sides if the jaw faces are not smooth so you don't leave any marks on the piece you're working on.

I tried this on my Zeus X, because why not, but it didn't need it and there was no movement at all. Mine was a later version that had no issue but it was worth checking anyway I thought. It certainly won't hurt anything, but I didn't have the same flooding issue either. Just tried it to be sure since it only took seconds, I had it apart for cleaning, and the vice was handy.

Reactions: Mowgli

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
Advken Owl tank...So, this isn't a traditional RTA. Like the Smok X-Baby, it's a hybrid sub ohm tank that will accept an RBA. In this case, it happens to be a Smok Baby Prince RBA. NOT the Baby Beast RBA... that RBA requires a taller glass.
How did I miss this?!

QUESTION: Does the above mean that the Baby Prince RBA can also be fitted into the (Big)Baby Beast, without the usual need for a taller RBA glass? That would be great!

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
How did I miss this?!

QUESTION: Does the above mean that the Baby Prince RBA can also be fitted into the (Big)Baby Beast, without the usual need for a taller RBA glass? That would be great!
Yup... any tank that takes a Baby Beast coil... Vaporesso, etc...

• Useful
Reactions: Letitia

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2016
It takes very little pressure really, maybe 5 to 10 lbs. on the handle if I were to guess. It doesn't click into place, it just slides into place and you'll know you have bottomed out when the pressure increases but the handle of the vice doesn't move... then just stop. Hard to explain since it's a "feel" thing, but you will know and you won't have to put a lot of muscle into it since you are only going to move it maybe an 1/8". Just use a small pieces of wood or plastic on both sides if the jaw faces are not smooth so you don't leave any marks on the piece you're working on.

I tried this on my Zeus X, because why not, but it didn't need it and there was no movement at all. Mine was a later version that had no issue but it was worth checking anyway I thought. It certainly won't hurt anything, but I didn't have the same flooding issue either. Just tried it to be sure since it only took seconds, I had it apart for cleaning, and the vice was handy.
Thank you very much for the clarification. Definitely worth the few seconds. I will report back. Hopefully with great news.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
The Timesvape x Ambitionz Vaper Diesel RTA
20190701_112733_compress12.jpg

Again with the drama disclaimer... really wish these folks would grow up! You might recognize parts of this deck as looking quite similar to other decks... namely the Recurve and Recurve Dual RDAs by Wotofo x Mike Vapes. The similarities are not that pronounced (one is an RTA, the other an RDA, one has a W shape, the other does not). Should Ambitionz Vaper have said he was inspired by the aforementioned atties? Probably. Do I care? Not one little bit.

Moving on...

Initial impressions upon taking this out of the box is that it's quite heavy for an RTA. A lot of stainless steel went into this tank. It measures 25mm at the base and bells out to 27mm. With the straight tank, it'll stay that way up to the top cap. With the bubble tank, it increases to around 30mm. In the box, we have the tank, the spare bubble section (it comes with the straight section installed), a spare set of o-rings, 4 spare flat tip screws, 2 spare insulators (these press into the holes that the positive screws occupy), a Barbie screwdriver, and a shorty frosted 810 (Goon style) acrylic drip tip.
20190701_130931_compress83.jpg
The two tank sections are both frosted acrylic... no glass to be found.

You'll want to be using the bubble section, though, as the straight section holds a paltry 2ml. With the bubble section, you'll get 5ml. Still not a lot for such a large tank.

The reason the capacity is so low (TPD aside) is that the deck in this RTA is huge! Between the "ears" and the chamber fitting over the ears and the distance between the ears, a lot of capacity has been eaten up. That space will not allow for the use of huge coils, though... I'm running 3mm coils and feel like 3.5 might fit, but not any more.
20190701_130949_compress53.jpg
20190701_132418_compress90.jpg
20190701_132359_compress27.jpg
Building is a little bit of a challenge, but only a little bit. The challenge comes from installing the coils between those ears and then positioning them just so. Pre-bending the leads might help. Using a Coily Tool to snip the leads off around the 5mm mark will also help

Wicking is quite easy... run the cotton through, trim even with the outside edge of the base, tuck into the generous wicking slots, and prime. With the 3mm coils, no combing of the wick was needed. I imagine a little combing might be needed if larger coils were attempted.
20190701_132640_compress65.jpg
There is a two piece chamber much like those seen with the Advken CP TF, the Geekvape Zeus X, and the Kaees Solomon 3. But, where the other tanks had the inner, removable bell perforated to supply the air, this has enormous notches to accommodate the ears. You can either leave the inner bell in the tank and assemble, or place it on the deck and assemble.
20190701_132930_compress44.jpg
20190701_132948_compress16.jpg
Once assembled, the entire top section unscrews to allow for filling. I knew this, but it still threw me... it was odd removing the air section, what I thought was the top cap, and the drip tip... nearly 1/3 of the tank... to fill it up. It was also weird looking down into the air section of the tank... great big hole there and I had to remind myself to fill through the outside slots.
20190701_112912_compress47.jpg
But does it vape? Of course it does... and pretty nicely, too. I'm getting a smooth, dense, flavorful vape out of it. I find the knurling around the base and top to be very nice. The machining appears to be mostly* good. I don't even mind the aesthetics** as there is minimal, subdued branding (Diesel on the exterior bell and Diesel on the top cap... no Ambitionz Vaper anywhere outside from a couple afterthought stickers on the box).
20190701_133619_compress9.jpg
It's not without some significant cons, though. For starters, this RTA comes with no coils and no cotton, no spare drip tip or 510 adapter, no glass option, no coil snipping guide gadget, no other screw option (all flat tip here... I don't mind flat tip, but they are set in there quite deep, and I wonder if longer screws or easier to slot Philip's or hex might have been a better choice. The way the positive screws are set into little insulated tubes was odd and, to me, a little worrisome... I've never seen that before and I'm wondering why. The weight of the tank makes most of my 2-battery mods feel top heavy. The fill method is weird. *The machining in the notches at the top of the inner bell were a little rough. **The tank is huge for such a small capacity... as large as something like the SteamCrave Glaz (7 ml with the straight glass) or the Triple V2 (8ml capacity with the bubble tank).

The verdict? It's by no means bad, but there are several top air RTAs out there that will cost less, come with more, and not sacrifice capacity to an unnecessarily large deck.

Last edited:

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
And that, ladies and gentlemen and non-binary gendered souls, is a wrap (unless something else pops up). I'll start the process of converting all of these reviews into blog posts as requested and promised very early on.

Honestly, I rather enjoyed the give and take this thread offered compared to what blog posts (which are often overlooked) do.

Since I enjoyed it, I'm wondering what to review in a running thread next. RDTAs? Single 21700 regulated devices? Sex toys?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread