Top air RTAs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foggyroomz

ECF Veteran
Nov 14, 2014
Indiana
Ok so I am way out of my element here and need some guidance on purchasing a new tank system.

Some info of what I am looking for is as follows: a Rebuildable tank system that I can build a single fused clapton for that will allow me to run between 45 watts and 60 watts that produces excellent flavor yet isn't a mouth to lung device. It will be paired with the VooPoo Drag2 177 watt box mod. I am moving away from a 4s lipo box and Modfather Voltrove 41mm to a more refined, juice conservative, battery life minded, compact portable vaping rig as my lifestyle and demands have evolved beyond cloud competitions and conversation starter pieces. Everything that I have owned beyond my subtank mini has always been a dual coil tank and generally over 30mm in size so again I am way out of my element here. Don't get me wrong I have some very nice tank systems but none that fit the bill for what I am looking for in an ADV rig. I appreciate any suggestions and guidance that the community can provide as most everything I do know of is no longer available like the OBS Engine Nano.
Thank you.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Ok so I am way out of my element here and need some guidance on purchasing a new tank system.

Some info of what I am looking for is as follows: a Rebuildable tank system that I can build a single fused clapton for that will allow me to run between 45 watts and 60 watts that produces excellent flavor yet isn't a mouth to lung device. It will be paired with the VooPoo Drag2 177 watt box mod. I am moving away from a 4s lipo box and Modfather Voltrove 41mm to a more refined, juice conservative, battery life minded, compact portable vaping rig as my lifestyle and demands have evolved beyond cloud competitions and conversation starter pieces. Everything that I have owned beyond my subtank mini has always been a dual coil tank and generally over 30mm in size so again I am way out of my element here. Don't get me wrong I have some very nice tank systems but none that fit the bill for what I am looking for in an ADV rig. I appreciate any suggestions and guidance that the community can provide as most everything I do know of is no longer available like the OBS Engine Nano.
Thank you.
There are several top air RTAs that'll satisfy your criteria:

Kaees Solomon 2
QP Design Juggerknot Mini
Advken CP TF
OBS Engine Nano
Kaees Solomon 3 (also dual coil capable)
Vapefly Horus
Wotofo Serpent Elevate
Augvape Intake
OBS Engine MTL
eXvape eXpromizer v4
Geekvape Ammit MTL
Geekvape Zeus

There are some that claim to operate as either a dual or single, but I find their performance as a single coil to be lackluster. The exception is the Solomon 3 which has a swappable chimney. Some of the top air mesh tanks will also allow a chunky single to be run in place of a mesh strip.

Since you're coming from the Voltrove, you're likely used to a lot of air. With that thought, you'll likely want to avoid the Intake, Ammit, eXpromizer, and Engine MTL. They're orange from really tight to a quite restricted DL. The remainder range from restricted to wide open.

Kind of hard to recommend just one based on your wants... if I had to do so, it'd likely be the Vapefly Horus, but their aesthetics are an acquired taste. Next on the list would be the Advken CP TF or the Solomon 3 (but the Solomon 3s deck is a little wimpy).

Hope that helps...

hiclass

ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2016
There are several top air RTAs that'll satisfy your criteria:

Kaees Solomon 2
QP Design Juggerknot Mini
Advken CP TF
OBS Engine Nano
Kaees Solomon 3 (also dual coil capable)
Vapefly Horus
Wotofo Serpent Elevate
Augvape Intake
OBS Engine MTL
eXvape eXpromizer v4
Geekvape Ammit MTL
Geekvape Zeus

There are some that claim to operate as either a dual or single, but I find their performance as a single coil to be lackluster. The exception is the Solomon 3 which has a swappable chimney. Some of the top air mesh tanks will also allow a chunky single to be run in place of a mesh strip.

Since you're coming from the Voltrove, you're likely used to a lot of air. With that thought, you'll likely want to avoid the Intake, Ammit, eXpromizer, and Engine MTL. They're orange from really tight to a quite restricted DL. The remainder range from restricted to wide open.

Kind of hard to recommend just one based on your wants... if I had to do so, it'd likely be the Vapefly Horus, but their aesthetics are an acquired taste. Next on the list would be the Advken CP TF or the Solomon 3 (but the Solomon 3s deck is a little wimpy).

Hope that helps...

@Foggyroomz:
In addition to the above, I would like to add the below:
1. Augvape Intake not only has very restrictive airflow it also won't accept any Clapton wire coil, it has too small post hole, you can only use plain wire coil.
2. Advken CP TF and Serpent Elevate need lengthy wick. In term of wicking, they are more like top airflow RDTA then top airflow RTA.
3. Vapefly Horus airflow coverage is NO good, I mean it does not cover an installed coil well. That means if you CHAIN VAPE at 60watts its wick won't last. Its flavor output also can never come close to single coil Zeus or JuggerKnot Mini.
4. JuggerKnot Mini is expensive and its slide (side refill) mechanism is a torture, it requires you to always refill slowly (the same thing go to Advken CP TF).
5. Single coil Zeus suits you the most. But it is no more available in Fasttech and some popular vape shops.
6. I have found clone for Intake, Serpent Elevate, JuggerKnot Mini and Single Coil Zeus. I take "Clone" as an indication of having good market - no one will clone a tank if the ori can not sell well.

• Disagree
Reactions: Jebbn

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
@Foggyroomz:
In addition to the above, I would like to add the below:
1. Augvape Intake not only has very restrictive airflow it also won't accept any Clapton wire coil, it has too small post hole, you can only use plain wire coil.
2. Advken CP TF and Serpent Elevate need lengthy wick. In term of wicking, they are more like top airflow RDTA then top airflow RTA.
3. Vapefly Horus airflow coverage is NO good, I mean it does not cover an installed coil well. That means if you CHAIN VAPE at 60watts its wick won't last. Its flavor output also can never come close to single coil Zeus or JuggerKnot Mini.
4. JuggerKnot Mini is expensive and its slide (side refill) mechanism is a torture, it requires you to always refill slowly (the same thing go to Advken CP TF).
5. Single coil Zeus suits you the most. But it is no more available in Fasttech and some popular vape shops.
6. I have found clone for Intake, Serpent Elevate, JuggerKnot Mini and Single Coil Zeus. I take "Clone" as an indication of having good market - no one will clone a tank if the ori can not sell well.
Au contraire!

I'm running a 3.5mm fused clapton in the Intake. It uses slots, not post holes. Fit what you want!

Advken CP-TF and Serpent Elevate need medium length wicks... nothing compared to the Dead Rabbit RTA. They wick fine.

Vapefly Horus is an airy beast with air coming at the coil from the side and bottom. I have to cut it down to around half.

Juggerknot Mini is a PITA to fill... I'll give you that.

The OG Zeus is OK... Wicks are about as long as the Advken CP-TF and Serpent Elevate... BUT, the coil and the wicks need to be laid in at an odd, twisted angle. The vape is fine, but the build is my least favorite of all of the top air tanks I own (and that's all of them to date).

Daniel Forsyth

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2019
    Victoria, Australia
    Au contraire!

I'm running a 3.5mm fused clapton in the Intake. It uses slots, not post holes. Fit what you want!

Advken CP-TF and Serpent Elevate need medium length wicks... nothing compared to the Dead Rabbit RTA. They wick fine.

Vapefly Horus is an airy beast with air coming at the coil from the side and bottom. I have to cut it down to around half.

The OG Zeus is OK... Wicks are about as long as the Advken CP-TF and Serpent Elevate... BUT, the coil and the wicks need to be laid in at an odd, twisted angle. The vape is fine, but the build is my least favorite of all of the top air tanks I own (and that's all of them to date).

I agree with the Intake, I have 3mm fused clapton in mine. Very easy fit:)

hiclass

ECF Veteran
    Aug 11, 2016
    Au contraire!

Hee,hee,hee...
    Sorry, the small hole which won't accept Clapton wire is in the Ammit not Intake. :p My mistake, indeed.

CP TF and Serpent has high raise deck (that is why they require lengthy wick), I almost always face spit back problem using big coil like 3.5mm or above in these 2 tanks.

And it is a absolutely NOT TRUE that single coil Zeus requires similar length wick like them. You only need to fill half the juice well with cotton in Zeus. The required wick is even shorter if you align you coil to the juice holes (twisted angle, your words). I only recoil once a month, so a little bit effort in twisting the coil is more than easy to me. Btw, Zeus wick is 200% better than CP TF or Serpent. I can chain vape as intensive as l like with Zeus without any problem but not the formers.

Single Zeus has the highest scores according to my preference. I own 5 units and is buying the 6th. Strangely, I can still find its ori or clone version easily in Malaysia market...

Reactions: Letitia

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 21, 2015
    Arkansas Ozarks
    Hee,hee,hee...
    Sorry, the small hole which won't accept Clapton wire is in the Ammit not Intake. :p My mistake, indeed.

CP TF and Serpent has high raise deck (that is why they require lengthy wick), I almost always face spit back problem using big coil like 3.5mm or above in these 2 tanks.

And it is a absolutely NOT TRUE that single coil Zeus requires similar length wick like them. You only need to fill half the juice well with cotton in Zeus. The required wick is even shorter if you align you coil to the juice holes (twisted angle, your words). I only recoil once a month, so a little bit effort in twisting the coil is more than easy to me. Btw, Zeus wick is 200% better than CP TF or Serpent. I can chain vape as intensive as l like with Zeus without any problem but not the formers.

Single Zeus has the highest scores according to my preference. I own 5 units and is buying the 6th. Strangely, I can still find its ori or clone version easily in Malaysia market...
    That's part of what make vaping so nice... something for almost every style and taste.

hiclass

ECF Veteran
    Aug 11, 2016
    Btw, another factor to consider is "how easy to open the base" of a tank, for recoil. Even under wet and greasy condition, I find it easy to open the base of single coil Zeus, Intake and Serpent Elevate but it won't be that easy for the rest of single coil top airflow tanks on Shawn's list. (I only use single coil tanks, so no comment on the duals)

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 21, 2015
    Arkansas Ozarks
    Vandy Vape Kylin M
    20190618_112616_compress10.jpg

Before we begin, brace yourselves for a mini-rant...

There's been a bit of drama over this because of perceived similarities to the Wotofo Profile Unity RTA. The perceptions are accurate, the drama is unnecessary. Vaping, since its revolutionary start, is evolutionary. Each new mod or atomizer has borrowed something from its predecessor. Those companies that didn't evolve, died. Don't get me wrong. There have been spurts of true genius here and there. By and large, though, it's more iteration than innovation. So when someone says "Hey! They totally stole this from the Wotofo Profile Unity RTA!" I have to respond "No. They created a new iteration... they took the concept one step further... they evolved." If it was theft, it wouldn't be top air (and hence, not on this list), and it wouldn't have spring-loaded clamps. If it was worth angry about, why aren't those that are angry screaming about the Profile's theft of the Digiflavor Themis Mesh deck. If you are offended by an atomizer's use of earlier tech, don't buy it. But, if you don't buy it you have no grounds to complain about it. End the drama...

Moving on...

This RTA is 24mm at the base, but flares out to 26mm. With the bubble glass, its overall diameter is around 28mm. It stands 34mm from the base to the top cap. It comes with a fairly generous bunch of goodies... straight and bubble glass, resin 810 drip tip, 510 drip tip adapter, 4 mesh coils - 2x0.2ohm and 2x0.15ohm, 2x agleted cotton, extra springs for all springy things, a coil bending rod, a little blue screwdriver to add to your collection, and extra screws.

The top cap is threaded rather than hinged or quarter turn, but the threads feel smooth enough. I've had no issues taking it apart and putting it back together again... even in the dark. Underneath the top cap is a deepish well with kidney fill ports at the bottom. In this regard, filling it is a little like filling the Dead Rabbit RTA... fill it to the bottom of the o-ring at the top of that well. With the straight glass, that means adding g 3ml. The bubble glass bumps that to 4.5ml.
    20190620_113948_compress11.jpg
    Beneath the top cap is a removable AFC ring. The ring is easily movable, but not loose. It also has a stop at full open and full close. Each side of that ring had 19 small air holes over an oval hole. Air can be adjusted 3 holes at a time down to one, but don't even think that this will do MTL. The range is from slightly restricted to restricted DL. The air comes in at the top and is directed down through a tapered tube to the coil.
    20190620_114007_compress97.jpg
    The deck, as has been discussed, is quite similar to the Wotofo Profile Unity RTA. There are differences, though... the wicking ports are different, and the clamps on the Kylin M are spring-loaded.

As such, building is a breeze... open the clamps about 2 turns, bend the coil.over the supplied rod, drop the coil in place, tighten. That's it. Since its arrival, I've used a Wotofo mesh strip, both styles of the supplied VV strips, and a strip of 150 mesh SS. I see now they're also offering a SS mesh strip and a "dual" mesh strip.
    20190620_113942_compress66.jpg
    20190620_114137_compress59.jpg
    Wicking, on the other hand, takes some finesse - just as it does on all mesh tanks. I first used the provided cotton and found it to be way too much. I then used a rolled up pad and had fair results. I tried rayon and had fair results. I've settled on some Native Wicks Platinum... I split it down and use about 3/5 of the "rope". The wick is tucked in and trimmed at an angle from just a hair away from the top center of the coil to the base of the atomizer. I then clip the pointed tail of wick square and tuck it in. Using this method, I've run through roughly 6 tanks full and not had even a scratchy hit. To verify this method's efficacy, I went back and rebuilt my Profile Unity and Themis Mesh the same way (adding a little extra cotton to the Themis to make up for the lack of the spring-loaded block in the base of the deck on the other two). I had similar, satisfactory results. In fact, with this new wicking method, I'm finally getting the saturated kind of vape I prefer rather than the kind of arid vape I had complained about in the past. It's still not quite as warm as I'd like...
    CollageMaker_20190620_115546084_compress74.jpg
    When assembling, the base does not have to be removed from the device. There are two little nubs in the chimney that line up with the slots where the clamps are and the deck turns inside as it's screwed together.
    20190620_113956_compress34.jpg
    How's it vape? Quite nicely. The Profile Unity is a little better on flavor, but I'll take the leak resistance over such a marginal flavor bump any day. Both of 'em beat the Themis Mesh, but again, only by a small margin. In the end, it really boils down to a question of aesthetics... do you want a tall, straight tank or a short bulging tank? Note that I did not compare the VandyVape Mesh 24 RTA here as it uses the Taifun BT/Cthulhu Ceto vertical mesh deck.
    20190620_111031_compress42.jpg
    That's not to say that there aren't any cons... there is a learning curve on the wicking, I've already lost one of the springs from the clamps (glad they included spares, but also note that the springs are not needed for use... they're just a convenience. I also had issues installing a regular coil in this one... the chamber is just too small and most every coil with enough diameter to hold a proper amount of cotton for wicking (to prevent flooding) shorted out when the chamber was screwed on. That's not to say it can't be done... just that it's not worth fussing with.

If you're a fan of mesh and top airflow, this is a no-brainer.
    20190620_115718(0)_compress73.jpg

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Hee,hee,hee...

Have you really got nothing better to do than to pick holes in all attys that aren't The Zeus? ;)

hiclass

ECF Veteran
    Aug 11, 2016
    The reasoning: emphasize CONS over PROS before buying a tank.
    There may be many reasons for you to expect a tank to be GOOD: colors, deck structure or may be a new innovative feature etc.
    My experience: don't rush into buying one before you study its CONS...

No matter how many nice features you find in a tank, it only takes 1 frustrating factor, yes! a single one which is lousy enough and you will end up putting the tank aside from your daily rotation...

Becareful and be smart, OK?

• Love

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 21, 2015
    Arkansas Ozarks
    @Shawn Hoefer i was wondering since I never owned the profile rta do the new mesh style rtas vape more as a single coil or dual coil ?
    In terms of wattage, they run like a beefy single, topping out around 65 watts. In terms of vapor production, they feel like a smallish dual coil.

Buckeyevapen

ECF Veteran
    Jan 22, 2016
    This is one of my favorite reads.

I do have a question: does anyone know if the press fit issues with the first run of black Zues X have been resolved?

I have one that I purchased right when launched. And cannot fill it more than 1/3 full without it dumping massive amounts of liquid up through the air flow.

Understand that this is not a wicking issue. This is a manufacturer defect. I have communicated with Geekvape and the hoops they want me to go through are not worth it. If the issues is resolved I would buy a replacement or a different similar RTA.

Any thoughts or recommendations would be appreciated.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread