Status
Not open for further replies.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Interesting dilemma @BillW50, @dwcraig1 that you two are having. Neither of my Topsides have had any leaks at all under their atty's in the 15 and 13 days I've been DLH vaping them day and night. Maybe its just the nature of the beast. The beasts that I am running on both of them are Digiflavor Mesh Pro rda's, with massive wicks under low subohm mesh builds that takes some pressure to squonk these tight wicks (and with no 510 o-rings). I have 5 DMP's that have never leaked on any mod I have used them on since last December. The third Topside coming will get one of the DMP's as well. So my current favorite attys being ran on my current favorite mods. Maybe I should have ordered a couple more Topsides while I can still get them? (Maybe I would if they had more colors available.) :unsure:

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
Due today... #3.
dovpo-topside_silver-new-547x547.jpg

To go with already in hand #1 & #2...
dovpo-topside_blue-new-547x547.jpg
dovpo-topside_gunmetal-new-547x547.jpg

Wonder what color #4 will be... :shock: Nah, 3 will probably do (but what if... it would have to be black, only color left that I'd want).
:D

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Some interest in the Topside so been following this thread.

To comment on the leaking through the 510. The atomizer to mod interface as it is used for squonking is not the best of implementations. We have a flat surface against flat surface – if these tolerances are not 100% perfect it will promote leaking, and even then higher pressures could still cause leaking. Look at any connection where fluid is required to pass through and you will see it is not implemented in this type of fashion.

As for leaking, personally I think it is better to leak under the atomizer where the user can see it and deal with it. Trying to seal this area means the fluid has to find another escape which could mean back through the 510 of the mod and into the device itself. If your device excessively leaks (not from over squonking), try another atomizer, or if you have another 510 squonk pin, give that a shot. Outside of that, leaking in this area is just something you will have to accept – carry a rag.

Last edited:

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
We have a flat surface against flat surface – if these tolerances are not 100% perfect it will promote leaking, and even then higher pressures could still cause leaking.
One of the worst leakiers I have ran across is those Pulse squonkers. They are not even flat on top of the 510. If the RDA is flat, you need a flat 510 connection. Of course that is going to leak. What were Vandy Vape and Tony B thinking of? :-x

Outside of that, leaking in this area is just something you will have to accept – carry a rag.
What? My two GBOXs doesn't leak. My four Therions BF doesn't leak. And my two Topsides doesn't leak (now). Why would you put up with leaking and carry around a rag for? I don't understand? o_O

Reactions: Mysteron

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
One of the worst leakiers I have ran across is those Pulse squonkers. They are not even flat on top of the 510. If the RDA is flat, you need a flat 510 connection. Of course that is going to leak. What were Vandy Vape and Tony B thinking of? :-x

What? My two GBOXs doesn't leak. My four Therions BF doesn't leak. And my two Topsides doesn't leak (now). Why would you put up with leaking and carry around a rag for? I don't understand? o_O

You are picking specifics – just because your mod/atomizer combination does not leak does not mean someone else with the same combination or other will be as successful.

These devices are mass produced and their tolerances are not what I consider to be the tightest, especially when dealing with multiple manufactures. We are dealing with a flat metal surface to flat metal surface connection in order to create a seal. A small burr within the 510 pin for your atomizer could mean that seal is not 100% therefore it could promote leaking. Fluid will take the path of least resistance, and if your 510 interface is leaking I would much rather to see this leak appear from under the atomizer where it can be dealt with than leak back into the device where it could cause a more severe issue.

If changing your atomizer/squonk pin does not rectify the leaking from within the 510 connection, this could mean a the 510 on your mod is the culprit. So if we seal the underside of the atomizer, where does that leaking fluid go?

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
I don't know Punk In Drublic. It seems like 98% of all of the squonk stuff could be used interchangeability. The small percentage that doesn't has QA issues. As the 510 isn't exactly 90 degrees from the base, poor threads, burrs, etc. Now I am not going to pretend to say I like our metal to metal seals. I believe this could be greatly improved. But it isn't really that bad as it is now. Besides it is only a very small percentage of stuff are just such poor quality and will leak, the rest are doing quite acceptably. No rag required. :)

Reactions: Mysteron

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I don't know Punk In Drublic. It seems like 98% of all of the squonk stuff could be used interchangeability. The small percentage that doesn't has QA issues. As the 510 isn't exactly 90 degrees from the base, poor threads, burrs, etc. Now I am not going to pretend to say I like our metal to metal seals. I believe this could be greatly improved. But it isn't really that bad as it is now. Besides it is only a very small percentage of stuff are just such poor quality and will leak, the rest are doing quite acceptably. No rag required. :)

Sometimes I think you would argue over the colour black just for the sake of arguing. There is discussion here along with many other discussions within ECF about leaking 510’s with squonkers. I only provided an explanation as to why this occurs. All leaking is not exclusive to a low tolerance connection between 510 pins, but that does not mean it should not be ruled out as a source. There are no standards outside the actual 510 threads for this interface. And without a standard, manufactures are free to implement how they wish – this has nothing to do with poor QC. Although QC can be a culprit. There are no standards with squonk 510 pins, this allows manufactures to implement any tool interface they wish. Out of the 2 below pics, which has more potential to leak?

The second part of my post is an opinion in that I much rather see a leak where I have the ability to deal with it than to not see a leak where I have no idea what damage it is causing. If one is leaking from underneath their atomizer, what is the source of the leak? If the source is the 510 interface, implementing some sort of seal underneath the of the base atomizer does not rectify the leak – it just rectifies leaking from underneath the atty. The 510 interface is still the source, so now where does that fluid go?
510-1-300x300.jpg

SquankPin.png

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON

The 510 plate on the Pulse BF is actually well implemented. Channels into the 510 threads creates a path of least resistance where fluid will follow in the event your squonk pin interface is not creating a perfect seal. If the plate was perfectly flat, or did not provide leak channels (for lack of better terminology), fluid will find another path of least resistance which could very well be into your device.

• Agree
Reactions: hazozita

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
The 510 plate on the Pulse BF is actually well implemented. Channels into the 510 threads creates a path of least resistance where fluid will follow in the event your squonk pin interface is not creating a perfect seal. If the plate was perfectly flat, or did not provide leak channels (for lack of better terminology), fluid will find another path of least resistance which could very well be into your device.
I look at it as a good place to place an o-ring.

Reactions: BillW50

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
If it's leaking on the top that really doesn't have much effect on leaking at the base of the 510 around the positive pin seal, it will just leak both places if either tends to leak. Leaking on top isn't going to have hardly any change in pressure on the bottom.

• Agree
Reactions: BillW50

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
If it's leaking on the top that really doesn't have much effect on leaking at the base of the 510 around the positive pin seal, it will just leak both places if either tends to leak. Leaking on top isn't going to have hardly any change in pressure on the bottom.

There is nothing at the top plate that promotes leaking. Leaks here are from the squonk pin interface between the mod and the atomizer and end up at the top plate due to being a path of least resistance.

As you squonk, pressure builds within the 510 connection should you not have the perfect interface between atomizer and mod. Pressure will push the fluid through the threads and out the top of the 510 between the plate and atty. Should this get sealed off, with either a flat 510 plate and tight atomizer connection, or an o-ring, that fluid now has to find another path. I am not saying it will exclusively find its way into your device, possible causing damage – but one cannot rule out that possibility.

The above does not account for a leaky atomizer due to bad o-rings or over squonking.

• Agree
Reactions: hazozita

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
There is nothing at the top plate that promotes leaking. Leaks here are from the squonk pin interface between the mod and the atomizer and end up at the top plate due to being a path of least resistance.

As you squonk, pressure builds within the 510 connection should you not have the perfect interface between atomizer and mod. Pressure will push the fluid through the threads and out the top of the 510 between the plate and atty. Should this get sealed off, with either a flat 510 plate and tight atomizer connection, or an o-ring, that fluid now has to find another path. I am not saying it will exclusively find its way into your device, possible causing damage – but one cannot rule out that possibility.

The above does not account for a leaky atomizer due to bad o-rings or over squonking.
With no leaks it flows into the atty, pretty simple really.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread