Status
Not open for further replies.

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
I think once one gets over the idea that an e-cig should resemble an analog -- the field is wide open.
I prefer box type mods (my favs are wood ones) because they are comfy to hold (if not too big) and often lighter than other mods that hold 18650 batteries. I also like that they sit well on a desk or table. You can also lay them flat without rolling around. Also, they don't get really cold to touch.

At first I was drawn to the boxes because I didn't like the idea of carrying around an empire state building sized mod...or one that could be used as a billy club or look more like "non-mentionable on ecf" devices that start with a v. It seemed many guys prefer those looks.

Now, I'm used to the looks of the metal mods and I do own a high rise as well as a tire checking gauge. However, my favorite to hold really is my original wooden box mod(s).

Last edited:

Ratman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2012
Tulsa OK
For me it's a combination of the beautiful wood work on the wood boxes and the bottom feeders. I like the REO grands and Mini's but I work outside and a metal box thats hot in the summer and freezing in the winter is not too attractive. The wooden ones are much more comfortable in the hand to me. It's mainly about the bottom feeder aspect tho. There are add ons to a tube mod to make them act like a bottom feeder/dripping but they all look ridiculous to me and make a large tube even bigger.

The feeder boxes can just do it all and look great doing it.

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
The feature "feeder" is the biggest benefit a box mod can have as far as I'm concerned. Boxes do offer some other benefits even when they aren't feeders. A regular old box mod can offer a lot of flexibility in the build (Kens Box Mods Big Daddy comes to mind as do several others). Where else can you get something that holds a pair of 18650s except for a box form factor? In fact, i even have a plastic VV box that I like for its dependability, shape and weight. It fits the front pocket on a dress shirt nicely and is light enough not to pull the pocket down. There are good box mods out there made out of all sorts of different materials that have all sorts of cool features.

I really love all my feeders, though. The three feeders on my desk right now dominate my vaping routine. I have several other PVs but only a couple of them get used on any sort of regular basis any more. And, two of my feeders are amazing machines that can provide all day battery life, all day juice supply, and are VV. That's why I think that "feeder" is the best feature available in box mods. A VV Feeder that has enough battery power and enough juice in the bottle to last all day offers a lot of vaping freedom through not carrying extra batts, juice, or whatever other vaping supplies might be necessary.

rtrain99

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2009
The 808 state
Can anyone offer why they like a box mod over a tube mod? I am curious about box mods but have never had the chance to use one. It seems like Reo owners are very devoted, and that makes me curious and interested in what it is that they offer that is so appealing. Thanks!

I'm an RSM guy. The reason I prefer them over tube mods, whether bottom feeder or inset tank mod, they just feel good in your hands. A tube mod can easily slip out of your hands. A box mod, you know It's there and tend to have a tighter grip in them. I've never dropped one yet. And besides, a wooden mod is just so purdy.

Jixchel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2012
Indiana
Just to update since this thread is still pretty high on the liquid feed board, I bought the Reo Grand silver/silver, it arrived July 12th and that same day went through a hell of a car crash with me (all people are fine, but the cars are now junk). I love my Reo, I bought 4 batteries so the egos are now collecting dust. My poor little Reo, and it is much smaller than I thought it would be, has been through hell with me and my general clumsiness. It has bounced down the stairs more times than I can count, as well as being dropped atelast twice as many times than it has bounced down the stairs, and I have yet to break an atty, but I have lost a couple drip tips when it bounced down the stairs. One little scratch from the car accident, and vapes like a champ every time!

WetWooD

Jun 2, 2012
Dallas, TX
I own a VModXL, and yes I have used a Reo and love them as well. here is the thing (the possible deciding factor) The REO's juice well is exposed, so YES if you over feed you have the possibility of spilling juice if you aren't careful. BUT, the VMODXL's juice well is inside of the mod, so it WON'T leak or spill. Some people dont like the VMOD because you have to tip it in order to feed it.....well, let me just say that I did a very easy mod to the 9ml bottle so that it feeds without tipping it. Bought 10 feet of 1/4 inch hose from Home Depot and cut off a piece that fits into the bottle fine, although I did have to shave off some of the tubing in order for it to fit into the bottle. NO MORE TIPPING!!! Just squeeze and vape!!

Ratman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2012
Tulsa OK
I own a VModXL, and yes I have used a Reo and love them as well. here is the thing (the possible deciding factor) The REO's juice well is exposed, so YES if you over feed you have the possibility of spilling juice if you aren't careful. BUT, the VMODXL's juice well is inside of the mod, so it WON'T leak or spill. Some people dont like the VMOD because you have to tip it in order to feed it.....well, let me just say that I did a very easy mod to the 9ml bottle so that it feeds without tipping it. Bought 10 feet of 1/4 inch hose from Home Depot and cut off a piece that fits into the bottle fine, although I did have to shave off some of the tubing in order for it to fit into the bottle. NO MORE TIPPING!!! Just squeeze and vape!!

I always wondered about this, not just with the Vmod but with other bottom feeder designs as well. I am waiting on my first BF to be completed but always thought that feeder designs could be modified to work like the REO with very little work. Nice to know it works on yours.

bjannr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2010
NE Pennsylvania
I have had two Provaris I had one die and sold the other one. I have tow VMods. They do not leak on the outside, but there have been many times they are wet on the inside. Now my REOs on the other hand are my work/barn mods. Nothing at all stops them from working. I can change batteries while driving and riding a mountain trail. I never had one leak.
One of my Grands has even been stepped on by a 1000 lb horse. It ruined the carto, but not the Grand.

Jixchel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2012
Indiana
The Provari is the most indestructable unit around.
Get a Vivi Nova and buy the optional Metal Tube.

Everything screws in, You will have a hassle free setup.
My Vivi in the month I've been using it has never leaked.

Sorry tomz, first I avoid anything that even resembles a clearomizer, and the ViVi tank just looks like a bigger one that I would have to fiddle with to get to work. Never again! Second I like my atomizers, only atomizers, and the bottom feeder will act as my tank. I'm not really even looking into rebuildable atomizers because thanks to the ego-t, the ego-c and those stupid clearomizers I do not like having to fiddle with anything to make it work properly. I've had my Reo for almost a month now LOL it has never leaked either, and I only overfilled that first week I owned it.

rondasherrill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 19, 2012
Valhalla
The Provari is the most indestructable unit around.
Get a Vivi Nova and buy the optional Metal Tube.

Everything screws in, You will have a hassle free setup.
My Vivi in the month I've been using it has never leaked.

Agree with the OP. If it looks even close to a clearo, I don't want it. On the other hand, I love my Provari, so I had my husband make me THIS. Bottom feeding on a Provari. Game Over.

lizardnipples

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 6, 2012
Highland, IL
I want to try one of the feeders mentioned but I'm having a hard time letting go of the $150 for the Reo or the other wood ones having never tried one. The concept seems perfect, big battery, large liquid capacity all in a compact pocketable design. Then you factor in that you get a dripping type vape...wow. Is there cheaper setup out there that would allow me to try the feeder type setup?

JTman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 24, 2010
SE Michigan
I want to try one of the feeders mentioned but I'm having a hard time letting go of the $150 for the Reo or the other wood ones having never tried one. The concept seems perfect, big battery, large liquid capacity all in a compact pocketable design. Then you factor in that you get a dripping type vape...wow. Is there cheaper setup out there that would allow me to try the feeder type setup?

Yes! I was in your shoes before I got my first REO. I bought an Old Goat mod. He is a poster on this forum and he makes little plastic bottom feeders (and possibly other things). The one I got from him was a modded 2x AA battery box made into a 3ml bottom feeder. If i recall it was about 25 bucks. Still have to buy a couple batts and a charger. I dont have a link to his thread handy but a forum search should help you find him.

It is plastic, so it is not exactly durable. But it is a great way to test out the bottom feeding design without breaking the bank. Also, if you consider buying a reo on the classifieds here on ECF the man himself who crafts the REO's will stand by his product even if you bought it second hand. He just fixed mine up good as new after I fried it with a shorted rebuildable. (I got mine second hand).

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois

Here is what I use at the moment. I am saving my money now to get a VV Grand for my next step in vaping. You can get into the Vmod for $85.00 less 20% with the coupon that is floating around. I would try to wait till maybe the holiday as they will probably be having the 50% off deal again..... You can read more about it here.... http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...0-bottom-feeding-mod-vapage-com-part-2-a.html

Vapage V-MOD XL

muzichead

Resident Knucklehead
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2011
Illinois

I always wondered about this, not just with the Vmod but with other bottom feeder designs as well. I am waiting on my first BF to be completed but always thought that feeder designs could be modified to work like the REO with very little work. Nice to know it works on yours.

This will also work inside the 9ml bottle on the Vmod XL. You just need to shave off the little lines on the outside of the lock.... 2" Stainless Luer Lock 14 Gauge Blunt Needle - Avid Vaper

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread