Transit cop tried to fine me..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Whitecloud

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2012
Richmond B.C
I was taking a toot on the Skytrain platform about 4 days ago,I was approached by two rather large miserable looking transit cops(real cop wanna be's) and was told to put out the cigarette.I told them it was not a cigarette but an e-cig.I took the cartomizer off and said ever see a real cigarette do that!!!One cop started to write a ticket I said you know your gonna look really stupid in court when I contest this,because there is no law against exhaling water vapor,now if you show me a sign that says this to the contrary I will stop and accept the fact that I broke the law.They both looked at each other said have a nice day and left....I guess they did not want to look stupid.(Loves to stir the pot when he can) vape on people:D

Huffelpuff

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2011
Philadelphia Burbs
Before I vaped would've come to the same conclusion. I saw somebody vaping a large tube mod before I switched and assumed that he was smoking something else altogether. I've never been approached but have gotten some really odd looks when I vape in my car. Wonder what people think who really don't know what it is when I whip out my big mods and vape in a car w/ my teenagers. Scandalous :)

RRoberts

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2011
Florence,AL
Story great, Handled correctly, all good but one suggestion...
-not from my mind but a fellow ECF member.
Never say cig, or e-cig, that makes them think Cig...remember the woman at the motel in ...(Vegas? $250 fine)
Say PV ...only.
If your answer has cig in it, BAM.
If it does not, they question themselves for not being on top. (so 27seconds ago!)
I am getting mentally armed for my confrontation and like that idea.
-just a thought.

PoliticallyIncorrect

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
SoCal
In all fairness, the non-initiated to this stuff have to be cut a little slack.

The industry grew up around the idea of verisimilitude, devices designed to look, feel and operate as close to the cigarettes they were replacing as possible, so to minimize the shock of transitioning from one to the other. Vaping has thrived because the act of it feels so much like smoking; the natural consequence is that it looks much the same also.

If we've been that good at fooling ourselves, we can't come down very hard on onlookers who are also fooled.

TonyTT

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2011
Ottawa
Story great, Handled correctly, all good but one suggestion...
-not from my mind but a fellow ECF member.
Never say cig, or e-cig, that makes them think Cig...remember the woman at the motel in ...(Vegas? $250 fine)
Say PV ...only.
If your answer has cig in it, BAM.
If it does not, they question themselves for not being on top. (so 27seconds ago!)
I am getting mentally armed for my confrontation and like that idea.
-just a thought.

I find the problem with that is, then they go what's a PV?, and I say personal vaporizer...and then it becomes a whole different assumption all together...

5vz

ECF Veteran
Jan 19, 2011
in here somewhere USA
Lol, you handled it a lot differently than I would have, I guess I don't have the ca-hones. I would have apologized and explained it is a pv, but I would put it away. (I feel we should not vape where we cannot smoke, just my feelings on that one.)

It's still not mainstream enough. Just yesterday I was driving down a busy a.m. rush street. A guy walked across the street, yep while people are driving in hurry to get to work, and saw me vaping in the car. His mouth dropped open and he looked aghast! I felt sorry for him for not knowing. Couldn't say anything, I was driving trying not to hit jaywalkers though.

sailorman

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 5, 2010
Podunk, FLA
I find the problem with that is, then they go what's a PV?, and I say personal vaporizer...and then it becomes a whole different assumption all together...

Simple. Just say "vaporizer". It's a vaporizer. For most people, that conjures up images of a nice warm machine in little Johnny's bedroom at bedtime. Just like on the boxes at Walmart. And most people have no concept of the vaporizers used to vaporize that which cannot be mentioned. If they do, they're not likely to be the kind of people to object to an e-cig.

PoliticallyIncorrect

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
SoCal
I've always wondered about cops and not knowing what an ecig is. When a cop drives by, i always make sure i'm not vaping, because with the tube mod and the tank, i keep thinking they'll pull me over thinking its a crack pipe.

A cop once pointed at the Darwin protruding from my shirt pocket, the tone of his what's THAT? unmistakeably implying something other than innocent curiosity.

I went with e-cigarette; he may or may not have known what that meant, but I was happy to volunteer a comprehensive explanation of propylene glycol, nicotine absorption rates, atomizers and their relative pros-and-cons vis-a-vis cartomizers, lithium-ion batteries, protection circuits, the cost effectiveness of DIY liquids, etc, etc.

Well inside of 30 seconds, the glaze in his his eyes implied unmistakeably that he had better things to do.

Last edited:

Boognish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2012
Chocolate Town
I've always wondered about cops and not knowing what an ecig is. When a cop drives by, i always make sure i'm not vaping, because with the tube mod and the tank, i keep thinking they'll pull me over thinking its a crack pipe.

Crackheads can't afford to smoke out of anything as sexy as our mods:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread