Trident clone first time dual coil...

Status
Not open for further replies.

RPM_Redline

Oct 6, 2013
Newtown, PA
Just built my first dual coil setup and I'm pleased with the results :)

I've been doing micro coils (or so I believe) on the trident clone for a few months and just decided to give a dual setup a try.

Made two 2.16ohm coils resulting in 1.08 overall. Some sterilized cotton for wicking and some Bobas Bounty. Loving it.

Popped it a mech running an AW 18650 1600mAh batt and wow :)

Also surprised at how long the juice lasts before needing to drip again.

RPM_Redline

Oct 6, 2013
Newtown, PA
Thanks Dice!

When this build starts to die I'll give it a try.

Also noticed going from a single coil and smaller air hole to dual and twice the flow, mouth hits weren't enough so I had to give lung hits a try to keep the air moving over the coils. Big difference in flavor and vapor! And the atty stayed much cooler (makes sense).

Would be nice to get the same power and longevity from an 18350 as I do that 650, would be much more compact.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've been using my Trident clone with dual coils for a few weeks now and It's really changed the way I vape. I've never used a dripper before and never thought I would, but this is REALLY nice!

I think if it didn't have the big drip chamber on the deck I would probably have modified it for bottom feeding, but I'm really glad now I didn't do that. I use multiple bottles of different juice and mix flavors on the fly as I feel like. So my favorite home made juice is getting alternate accents of strawberry, cinnamon or blueberry right now. Later today I might switch to pralines and cream, coffee and chocolate.

Nic might not be addicting, but this is may be :rolleyes:

KrisAinTX

ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Central Texas
Thanks all!

I'm pretty happy with the 1ohm for now. Will see how it goes.

From what I have read, the AW 18650 1600mAh has a max discharge rate or 30amps...someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Again, I'm not chasing any clouds or crazy stuff like that.

24 amps on that battery. You can safely go down to .3, but I wouldn't recommend it. You lose a lot of flavor below about .5 on a Trident. I run mine around .8, dual coils, cotton wicks.

RPM_Redline

Oct 6, 2013
Newtown, PA
Adding pic: wouldn't let me edit the first post to include

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386859613.425833.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386859623.207969.jpg

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
When I first started vaping at 15 watts, was amazed at the juiciness of the vape compared to 8-12 watts. With the right rba wick and build, vaping at 30+ watts is like a milk shake in comparison. Maxing out the capabilities of an atomizer is one of the joys of building. Just when I am comfortable with my builds and wicking, then a new rba comes along, or wicking material, and I get to relearn all over. Started using hemp fiber this week, and must say, am liking the wicking properties of hemp.

RPM_Redline

Oct 6, 2013
Newtown, PA
Thanks for all the good info gang!

I don't know where I came up 30amp but I now see it's actually 24. Thanks again :)

Doubt I'll be dropping below 1ohm anytime soon though.

I only use mechs and try not to get too crazy with the ohms. That said I keep a multimeter, ohm meter, and a rebuildable road kit in my bag while I'm at work. Sounds like allot but it all fits in there quite well.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Adding pic: wouldn't let me edit the first post to include

View attachment 282549
View attachment 282550

I set mine up with the coils further out from the center of the Trident so they're closer to the air holes and high enough to get air flow right on them. I find this gives me the best flavor and overall vape. These are 0.5 ohms together. I didn't drill out the air holes and I won't as I doubt I'm ever going any lower in resistance.

2wd0bur.jpg

rhrfhs.jpg

RPM_Redline

Oct 6, 2013
Newtown, PA
Reydan, makes sense. I'll give that a try next time. I was worried about the legs being too long and the coil possibly hitting the cap.

You can see in my pic that the cap brings the hole another 16th of an inch closer to the coil once it's on.

Next build I'll bring them a smidge closer to the hole and lift them up a little higher too.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
You can see in my pic that the cap brings the hole another 16th of an inch closer to the coil once it's on.

That's a very good point Redline and I should have mentioned it in my post. My coils are just inside the top cap. I actually had one short once when I got too close. Got a couple of dry hits before I figured it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread