Tried New Ratio and Now I'm Vaping KY Jelly. Any Fixes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

release the kraken

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Stalking the Mailman
Quick Background, was doing a premix base of 58\42 ratio at 18mg but the throat hit was still too strong. I could only vape for a few minutes before my throat went raw which is the case with both store bought and my DIY thus I assume I am a little pg sensitive.

So I decided to dilute my premix base down with some VG to a 25\75 9mg. Made my first test batch using the same formula of 80% nic base and 20% flavor recipe that worked perfectly with my 60\40 base. I already knew that the flavor might be a little muted due to pg carrying flavor better than vg. However, what I got hit with was as if I poured a tube of warming KY jelly down my throat and exhaled it out my nose (no I have not done exactly that but due to some errr situations, I have smelled and tasted the stuff before).

Current thoughts and remedies tried -
1. Did I do the math wrong? double and triple checked, nope confident ratio's calculated properly and some people do 100% vg and I highly doubt they all like vaping ky jelly
2. Bad bottle of vg - bought it from essential depot through amazon and it was sealed. Plenty of people use that and have never heard anyone complain about it tasting like lube. Also liquid ky jelly base is a combination of PG and VG, so maybe I happened to hit the exact ratio for ky?
3. Is this lube flavor what people refer to as the perfume taste and the natural sweetened taste? I tried things from the Vinegar thread such as lemon juice, and different vinegars and yes it did help bring the flavors out and mute the STRONG lube taste, but there is still a definite and in your face lube taste.
4. Bumped my juice formula up to 60% base and 40% flavor. Still muted flavors, added vinegar and flavor a little too strong now. None the less still tastes like I am eating a peach covered in ky jelly.

Original base before adding essential depot VG:
Wizard labs PG based 1.8% nic 500ml
Health Cabin VG based 1.8% nic 345ml (they sell them in 115ml bottles)

New base:
Essential depot vg 940ml
original nic base 500ml
wizard labs 100% pg 4.8% 100ml
Final calculations 8.93mg 1540ml 25.97% PG 74.03% VG

There has been no steeping yet, just some warm water baths and shaking for a bit.

I searched through the forum as best as I could but couldn't find anything on anyone stating their vape tasted like lube. Found plenty of people talking about how VG is a main ingredient in many "personal" lubricants, so sorry if this has been covered elsewhere already.

I think that's everything. I would like to keep the VG ratio high, Any ideas?

release the kraken

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Stalking the Mailman
Good to know @southern. The flavorings are fine though, not a real issue with the flavor ratios. The ratio issue is when I went to 75% VG, every thing I make tastes exactly like the flavoring I am making but covered in KY Jelly.

Here is a prime example and neither one of these flavors are perfumy at any ratio:
8ml base
1ml popcorn
1ml butter

in my original 60\40 base, it tasted exactly like movie theater popcorn with extra butter. it was fantastic, just a little harsh on the throat hit.

now when I use the 25\75 base, it tastes like movie theater popcorn with a gallon of KY Jelly dumped on top of it.

Or a simple one of
8ml base
2ml juicy peach

Tasted perfect before, now its like sliced peaches in a bowl of KY.

I get no perfumy tastes at all with my flavorings.

Hope the extra details help.

EDIT: The 60% base 40% flavor from initial post was just a one time test to test an extreme.

Last edited:

release the kraken

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Stalking the Mailman
Sorry I can't help OP, but love the title of your thread.

It's always good to know I can create my own KY Jelly, for um.... Well u know, ahem.

Technically, all of our juice is the same base ingredients as the KY Warming Jelly (combo of PG and VG). So if you happen to be a "certain" situation and have 0 nic juice, well then... :blush:

The liquid form of the product combines glycerin with propylene glycol, sorbitol, and Natrosol 250H (a brand of hydroxyethyl cellulose) for lubrication, with benzoic acid, methylparaben and sodium hydroxide as additives. An alternative glycerin-free formulation marketed as "K-Y Ultra" contains propylene glycol, sorbitol, Natrosol 250H and polysorbate 60 for lubrication, benzoic acid and methylparaben as preservatives, and vitamin E.

Last edited:

SouthernBliss

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Athens, Ga, USA
How much distilled water did you add to the mix to get the viscosity back to the correct level? That actually can change how the liquid vapes and tastes. Did you taste the VG to see if it tastes like lube? If it doesn't then the problem is elsewhere. Did you try a drop of EM to smooth the mix out and drop the TH before you swapped to a higher VG mix? At low levels EM smooths without sweetening. It is also possible that you have issues with VG and just can't tolerate it above a certain amount. It is very rare but possible. I am one of those rare people who really tastes the flavor of PG in a mix so I do understand how it can be to taste something most people don't.

Um.. and VG needs to be diluted if your going to use it directly on skin.. and it may not be as sweet without the sorbitol addition.

release the kraken

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Stalking the Mailman
I did not add any distilled water since I am already at 25% pg, plus the flavors I add are PG based. I thought you only added water if you were going for 100% VG.

Yes, I will often add 1-2% of EM that I purchased from Wizardlabs. That didn't really seem to help with the TH, but then again I could have just been concentrating on the flavor bonding of EM. I was not aware of it softening the TH. Will keep that in mind.

Um.. and VG needs to be diluted if your going to use it directly on skin.. and it may not be as sweet without the sorbitol addition.
Haha, yeah that's why I underlined and bolded the word "base". :) Im definitely not condoning or promoting using sweetened e-juice for anything other than vaping. :vapor:

SouthernBliss

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2013
Athens, Ga, USA
Try adding a couple of drops of distilled water. Oh and now my brain is getting confused with the numbers. Your pg percentage should include the flavor percentage if they are pg flavors. If your using 20% pg flavor then the percentages are 45/55 right? In which case I would consider 2-3 percent distilled water to balance out for a viscosity similar to a 50/50 mix.. And those can sometimes be to think depending on the original viscosity of the VG. Lastly, which kind of VG are using?

Sniffle

Co-op Junkie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2011
Moody, Alabama
SouthernBliss covered what i was about to say. I am primarily a VG vaper, and i have actually dropped my VG ratios quite a bit just because of wicking and to lighten the VG taste that sometimes creeps up. Now if i could just get rid of PG's ability to irritate my throat and sinuses i would be in heaven.

release the kraken

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2013
Stalking the Mailman
Try adding a couple of drops of distilled water. Oh and now my brain is getting confused with the numbers. Your pg percentage should include the flavor percentage if they are pg flavors. If your using 20% pg flavor then the percentages are 45/55 right? In which case I would consider 2-3 percent distilled water to balance out for a viscosity similar to a 50/50 mix.. And those can sometimes be to think depending on the original viscosity of the VG. Lastly, which kind of VG are using?
I added essential depot VG. The original VG that was in my base was VG 1.8% nic from Health Cabin. It wasn't until I added the essential depot VG that it went to KY.

I don't seem to have an issue with wicking, the throat hit harshness is resolved, and it makes clouds of vapor. It's simply the taste. I was hoping there was some kind of trick to get rid of the KY Jelly taste.

Thanks for your help on this holiday weekend.

lasttango

What would Freud say?
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2010
Wilmington, DE / Ithaca, NY
www.last.fm
This probably isn't the best answer... but it's my answer.... I felt the same way vaping wizard labs and companies like them...
Since I shelled out a few more bucks for what I perceive as higher quality base and nic, my liquid tastes less like ointment or medicine.
Can't think of any vendors I actually enjoy that use cheap bases...

I suggest you try something like TW's platinum ice or even xtremevaping's stuff...

I actually enjoy diy now.

...now... of course... this isn't science... it's just my experience...

my wiz labs nic base smelled like something I might rub on sore muscles or an open wound to promote healing... my xtremevaping nic doesn't have any odor.

a friend on these forms sent me a couple hundred mls of vg... and this vg is what you get from decadent vapors or tw... the viscosity is closer to a relatively thin pg than the vg's I have previously used.

FinallyQuit

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2011
SC
Dammit, I have ordered a bottle of ED vg based on numerous recommendation on this forum! I've been using vg bought at Walmart and CVS with no issues. I thought I was ordering 'high quality' compared to what I had been using.

OP I hope you can fix your flavor, that sounds mighty unpleasant. I've vaped vg straight out of the bottle to see what was causing harshness in my mixes, it didn't remind me of anything other than maple syrup. Maybe after a day or so the flavors will meld together and the unpleasant one will have faded?

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    This probably isn't the best answer... but it's my answer.... I felt the same way vaping wizard labs and companies like them...
    Since I shelled out a few more bucks for what I perceive as higher quality base and nic, my liquid tastes less like ointment or medicine.
    Can't think of any vendors I actually enjoy that use cheap bases...

I suggest you try something like TW's platinum ice or even xtremevaping's stuff...

I actually enjoy diy now.

...now... of course... this isn't science... it's just my experience...

my wiz labs nic base smelled like something I might rub on sore muscles or an open wound to promote healing... my xtremevaping nic doesn't have any odor.

a friend on these forms sent me a couple hundred mls of vg... and this vg is what you get from decadent vapors or tw... the viscosity is closer to a relatively thin pg than the vg's I have previously used.

Lol, good try, but I don't think Wizard Labs is having to expand their operations twice in 1 yr because they sell bad quality.

release the kraken

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 9, 2013
    Stalking the Mailman
    Dammit, I have ordered a bottle of ED vg based on numerous recommendation on this forum! I've been using vg bought at Walmart and CVS with no issues. I thought I was ordering 'high quality' compared to what I had been using.

OP I hope you can fix your flavor, that sounds mighty unpleasant. I've vaped vg straight out of the bottle to see what was causing harshness in my mixes, it didn't remind me of anything other than maple syrup. Maybe after a day or so the flavors will meld together and the unpleasant one will have faded?

I too thought I was ordering high quality from the numerous ravings about essential depot. Again, it could just be that I am hypersensitive or that I mixed so many different nic bases, pg and vg from various vendors.

I just grabbed the bottle that I had thrown away and there is a little in the bottom (I had put the cap back on so no, I wont be smoking garbage :)). I will try the test of vaping just that to see what happens.

release the kraken

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 9, 2013
    Stalking the Mailman
    OK, I tried it solo and it doesn't have any kind of taste to it. Definitely not ky jelly anyway... @Finally you should be OK.

I just tried vaping the nic base with no flavor at all and still no ky jelly.

Maybe I had always had the ky taste, but due to the harsh throat hit with the higher PG, I just didn't notice?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread