Trouble Sleeping??

Status
Not open for further replies.

LinzCarp

Jan 3, 2011
Folsom, CA
Hello Everyone!

I am just curious if anyone else had a really hard time sleeping when they quit analogs and switched to vaping. Today is my 10th day since I quit analogs and began using the ecig. I have had very little withdrawal symptoms; the symptoms I have had have been mild and manageable. I am using about 1 - 1.5 ml of 12mg liquid per day so I know I am not suffering from nicotine overdose. I do not get a racing heart or anything like that. I am just having the hardest time sleeping! I feel like the 12mg and the amount I am using is working out great for me so I don't want to increase or decrease the dose right now if I don't have to since what I am doing is working well to curb my cravings and keep me comfortable. In the first few days I did not see any difference in my sleep but as the days go on I am having a hard time staying asleep. Last night I even laid down early at about 9:30, just to relax and watched some television to unwind. I eventually dozed off at about 11:00 but woke up at 3:00am and was wide awake until just after 6:00am.

Has anyone else experienced this and for how long? Is this just a symptom of withdrawal from analogs or could it possibly be something to do with the ecig? I know that withdrawal from analogs can cause issues with sleep but you would think by the 10th day it would be getting better!!

Whytlash

Nov 10, 2010
Washington
Hi there,

I have had odd sleeping habits for a while now, usually getting 3 to 4 hours sleep at a time (unemployment will do that to you!). Occasionally I'd get 6 or 8 at a time, but not often. Today is 4 months off cigs for me. I noticed no change in the first month or two, but the last couple of months I've been able to get 8 hours sleep easily. I vape 18mg mostly, occasionally 24mg, and have never "cut back" before bedtime.

Granted, everyone is different, has different circumstances, but it does seem to be a pattern that when many people stop smoking and start vaping they find 8 hours of sleep elusive for a period of time. But it does pass. How long it takes will be an individual thing, but history has shown that it does pass.

Steve

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
I had anxiety at night about taking the PV apart so the battery could charge. It also disturbed my before-bed pattern which with cigarettes was one last cigarette, last drag, right up to bed. it also messed up my morning pattern. So I bought another charging cable and another battery. So I can be charging 2 and still leave my PV all set up with a battery right where I vape. last drag, put it down, go to bed.

re nicotine - yes some people have said they need to vape a lower nicotine in the evening, especially if they are vaping more than during the day at work etc. But a couple of people actually said they needed higher nicotine right before bed to sleep through the night.

The Big Chief

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2009
Anderson, IN
I never had many issues with sleep..but Im one that requires a FULL top off on the good ol' nic before bed. But a drastic increase in oxygen intake would most likely increase energy levels and might reek havoc on sleep pattern for a minute while adjusting to e cigs, at least if you put them cigs down all at once, instead of weining over a week or two.

Newbz

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2010
US
A few weeks ago someone here mentioned they had to quit vaping coffee flavors at night because it was killing their sleep. I didn't pay much attention to that statement until this past week when I was wide awake until 2 or 3 AM. This was highly unusual as I'm usually out by 10 PM. I switched from the coffee to something else, and sure enough I was back to business as usual. It would not surprise me to learn that some flavors act as stimulants.

Sorrid

ECF Veteran
Oct 15, 2010
Tampa,Florida
After a few days vaping and not smoking I started sleeping better than I ever remember sleeping. No more annoying wheezing keeping me awake and the wife says I snore quite a bit less than I did when I smoked. I don't wake up in the middle of the night like I used to either.

You are just going through a major change and that it will go away with a little time. I went through all sorts of odd changes the first month or two after I quite cigarettes.

LinzCarp

Jan 3, 2011
Folsom, CA
Thanks so much everyone for your responses! I have decided that I am going to stick with the 12mg through the day as usual but switch to 0 nic a couple hours before bed and see if that helps any. I had planned to do this anyway over time so maybe it is just a good idea to start now. Once I have some extra money towards the end of the month I was planning on ordering 8mg to step down during the day once I run out of my 2 30ml bottles of 12mg and then do the 0 nic at night. My goal is to slowly work my way to 0 nic all together. I am sure this is going to take a few months to get off the nic all together but that is my ultimate goal, I am in no rush. I just want to be able to sleep at night so we shall see if this helps!

I did have one more question however. My mom has several bottles of 0 nic doublers that she purchased when she was attempting to cut her high nic liquid but she never used them. Is it ok for me to vape the doublers?

LinzCarp

Jan 3, 2011
Folsom, CA
It's absolutely okay to vape the doublers! Really all they are is flavored juice with no nic. People use them to decrease the nic level of some juice and others vape them as they are. Vape your head off and enjoy them!

Thanks for clarifying that for me! She has all kinds of great flavors so I will have fun trying them out! Hoping that by vaping these a couple hours before bed will be effective.

Jenn1181

ECF Veteran
Dec 4, 2010
NW GA
Great job on making it past the one-week mark! It's possible that the sleeplessness is caused by either detoxing from the chemicals in cigarettes or lowering your nicotine levels, or even both. I know that when I quit smoking cold turkey last year, before finding out about e-cigs, I struggled with insomnia. It's a common side effect of nicotine withdrawal. It's hard to pinpoint what the exact cause would be. I'd say if it becomes a serious problem (as in the lack of sleep is interfering with your ability to function) or continues for much longer this may be a better question for a doctor, just to be safe.

pandatera

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2011
NY
It's my 9th day vaping and I do have a similar problem as you do. I can't seem to fall asleep at nite, but if i do fall asleep I do still get 8 hours of sleep before I will actually wake up, so it didn't really bother me. But it's different for me, I have a 2 week vacation from work, started on New Year. So it didn't matter what time I wake up, so I think that makes a big difference for me. Also I didn't totally quit my analog as well. I do feel kinda guilty though. I still take that first cigarette when i wake up and after meals.

c0nrad

Jan 4, 2011
California
Looks like we quit smoking cigs and started vaping at the same time. =)

My sleep patterns were all screwed up by the third day. I'm also vaping juices with 12mg of nic, but use closer to 4ml of juice per day. I try to sleep at 10PM, but end up rolling around in bed and it drives me insane. Rather than wake my wife up from my constant movement, I end up lounging in the living room reading up on ECF and vaping some more. I've been falling asleep at around 2AM, and then I get up at 7AM to get the kids ready for school and daycare. I'm not used to running off of just five hours of sleep. Surprisingly, I'm not tired or sleepy at work.

On the bright side, we're not smoking. =)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread