Troubles with Nautilus cotton coil rebuild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

matty007

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2014
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I've been working on my first ever rebuild after hearing the benefits in regards to flavour with cotton over Silica. Having watched Riptrippers tutorial which seemed fairly straightforward, I thought I'd have a go.

I managed to make the microcoil, albeit I don't have a Blowtorch so did my best with a lighter to compress the coil as much as possible. It probably isn't quite as compressed as it should be but is very close to a microcoil. I did 5 wraps of twisted 32 gauge Kanthal round a toothpick and got a resistance of 1.5ohm. Pretty good.

When I was putting the coil in, it was slightly lopsided so pulled it back out and the filler material came out with it. I put the filler material back in and trimmed the cotton wick slightly as I suspected it was slightly too big. After doing this the coil went in fine and I put the head back together.

I primed the coil and let it sit for 10 minutes. Although I used Organic Cotton, on the first few vapes I was met with a cotton taste, not very pleasant. After a few more vapes, the cotton taste subsides and I was blown away with the flavour. HOWEVER. The vapour production is fairly poor. I was getting quite a bit more vapour with the stock heads, and even my T3S with stock heads. Admittedly, it has improved slightly but still not close to what it should be. I'm not a cloud chaser by any means, flavour is much more important to me, but not getting much vapour is telling me something isn't quite right.

Now I'm a fairly light vaper. About 2.5ml a day. And a tend to take a few vapes and then put it down for around 15 minutes. I've noticed every time I put it down and then come back to it later, the first 3-4 puffs taste burnt. After these initial puffs the burnt goes away and I get an awesome flavour. But the burnt taste happens every time I leave it for a little while then come back to it. Very strange.

I'm typically vaping it at about 10 watts. I've tried lowering it to 8 watts and it still happens.

Like I said. The flavour is awesome but the vapour production isn't great and that burnt taste on the first few puffs is very annoying.

Any advice?

Cloud Junky

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 6, 2014
Texas, USA
Thoroughly watch RiP Tripper's video and you will get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAmIJIUeEUg

Use a cigarette lighter and tweezers, get the coil red hot and squeeze gently on it until it cools down your coil will be tight at that point.

To rid the burnt taste lower the wattage down, you should star low and work your way up.

Last edited:

JeremyR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 29, 2012
Oregon, IL
Sounds like you need less cotton in the coil, don't roll it just pull it to size. If you get flooding add a small wispy cotton overwick. Riptripper looks to be using way too much cotton to me, too dense. And I wasted 5 min of my life... lol

You can use a gas stove if you have one, a lighter never gets it hot enough for me.

Last edited:

matty007

ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2014
United Kingdom
Sounds like you need less cotton in the coil, don't roll it just pull it to size. If you get flooding add a small wispy cotton overwick. Riptripper looks to be using way too much cotton to me, too dense. And I wasted 5 min of my life... lol

You can use a gas stove if you have one, a lighter never gets it hot enough for me.

Thanks for that.

I was wondering if the cotton was a little too thick, so it's not wicking properly. I'll trim it down slightly and see if that improves it.

I did try the Gas Stove when I first did it but it didn't heat it properly. I'll have to try it again.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread