Trying to keep up :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katcandoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2013
Georgia , USA
The vaping products are evolving faster than I can keep up. I quit a PAD 30 year cigarette addiction more than 6 years ago. vaping saved my life! My problem over the years is that once I find a tank and coil with the ohms and open draw I like, it quickly becomes obsolete. I can't find replacement coils anywhere. So, I built my own coils and dripped for a whille. But that's not practical for daily use. I'm comfortable at 1.2 ohms. Everything seems to be sub ohm now. I adjusted, and got a tank with the open draw of dripping I like, at .4 ohms, and dropped from 18 to 3 mg juice. But now it's difficult to find replacement coils at .4; they are in stock most places at a .2. I can't go any lower on ohms or mgs. Any suggestions?

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I almost exclusively build for RTAs that I like. I have changed several times but have settled on the Dual Coil Zeus X and I will stay with for several years as I picked up quite a few of the tanks for backup. I vape at .2 ohm with 1.5 mg nic down from 2 mg a short time ago,

If you are willing to build, why not look at a few good single coil RTA Tanks that would allow you to get in the ohm range you like and are the type of tank for the vape you like. There are several designed for Mouth to Lung vape and a lot of ones made for Direct to Lung vaping.

So it will depend on what type of vape you like to find a tank you like. Any tank with pre-built coils will probably be hard to find coils for after a year or so, just the way it goes.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
The Vaping products are evolving faster than I can keep up. I quit a PAD 30 year cigarette addiction more than 6 years ago. Vaping saved my life! My problem over the years is that once I find a tank and coil with the ohms and open draw I like, it quickly becomes obsolete. I can't find replacement coils anywhere. So, I built my own coils and dripped for a whille. But that's not practical for daily use. I'm comfortable at 1.2 ohms. Everything seems to be sub ohm now. I adjusted, and got a tank with the open draw of dripping I like, at .4 ohms, and dropped from 18 to 3 mg juice. But now it's difficult to find replacement coils at .4; they are in stock most places at a .2. I can't go any lower on ohms or mgs. Any suggestions?
Have a look at the Innokin Zenith D22 MTL tank. There are a few different options for replacement coils too at 0.8 and 1.6 ohm's. There a many folks here who love that tank. With the Black Friday sales I'm sure you can find deals on both. Or ask @JCinFLA as she has a good handle on deals "far and wide".
Good luck. :)

LoveVanilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2013
Texas
Katcandoo, I remember you! Welcome, from one old dog to another. Can't help much as I decided to stay with rebuildables. Just a jiffy with a coil master. I keep multiple builds on hand so, if flavor fades or the wick darkens, I just grab something else for the day. But yes, it is planned obsolescence. And if you track a while, you'll notice lots of trends plus recycling of prior ideas. Let me know if I can help on rebuildables. GL

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
Yes Vaping does change quickly - just about every week some firm comes out with the latest greatest new device which lasts until the next miracle gizmo gets launched.

My own approach is when I find something I really like I tend to stick with it - which means for me that I buy stocks of the thing while they are still available.

The handle "Falconeer" originated because I switched from cigarettes to a Falcon pipe back in 1974 and stuck with Falcons ( I had 14 of them ) until 4 years ago - so I'll admit to being slightly resistant to change!

I'm still happily using my Nauti Minis four years on and my iStick 30ws because for me they work ( and I have shall we say a few of them and "some" spare 1.6 ohm coils.)

As has been mentioned the Zenith Tanks get a lot of love round here - that might be the way to consider for you.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I am not sure why people are suggesting the Zenith tank, which everything I have heard says it's a tight draw, and OP said specifically they want an open draw. Also OP is in the USA and may not even be able to buy replacement heads for it come next year (depending on regulations). Doesn't sound like a good fit to me.

@Katcandoo It might help us provide more accurate suggestions it you could tell us which tanks and drippers you have tried that you do like. As others have said, for longevity, rebuildables are the only option. Especially with the possible bans currently making the rounds in the US and the pending regulations coming early next year. At this point in the US, I wouldn't buy anything that uses pre-built coil heads because you may not be able to get ANY of them come next year. If you don't like dripping but are OK rebuilding, there are lots of rebuildable tanks that you don't have to drip. Again knowing what you do like can help us to give you more suitable recommendations.

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
I wouldn't wish to argue for the sake of it and I suppose it depends how you define things, us all being different, but I find the Zenith fully open to be exceedingly airy - I don't normally do DTL but OMG when I have tried it with my Zeniths and Zlide to me it they were cloud machines.

Good point about the possible non availability of coils on the other side of the pond!

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
I wouldn't wish to argue for the sake of it and I suppose it depends how you define things, us all being different, but I find the Zenith fully open to be exceedingly airy - I don't normally do DTL but OMG when I have tried it with my Zeniths and Zlide to me it they were cloud machines.

Good point about the possible non availability of coils on the other side of the pond!

Exactly why I like to know what a person has used that they liked and what they disliked before just blurting out suggestions.

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Katcando i understand what you mean about the quickly changing vape products it has happened often
here as well. Once i learned diy and making coils years back that helped a great deal.
Many coilheads are proprietary then something new comes up and the old is no longer around.

Some mentioned the Innokin's Zenith tank and can attest its a great tank for some including me but the day will come when they become obsolete like most others so i took a head apart and personally testing a vertical coil similar to joyetech's clr coilhead .

Joyetech's clr coilheads are easily rebuilt if one can rebuild but the wire itself last a long time just dry burn coil and replace the cotton when wire breaks or whatever its easily for many to recoil it.

Its all about the individual if one is willing to keep buying the newest and latest and fads as well back when i started there were no cloud chasers or pods, no wattage mods or temp control mods and mostly sub ohm was not heard or popular then things changed.
One can change with it or not if they can diy and rebuild.
Once you find something you really like and rebuild and stock up on tanks etc to your satisfaction you will be fine.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I'm comfortable at 1.2 ohms. Everything seems to be sub ohm now. I adjusted, and got a tank with the open draw of dripping I like, at .4 ohms, and dropped from 18 to 3 mg juice. But now it's difficult to find replacement coils at .4; they are in stock most places at a .2. I can't go any lower on ohms or mgs.

If you'll PM me, to let me know what tank that is...I may be able to help you with locating more of them and/or the coils. I've recently found amazing deals on some subohm tanks and the very discounted in price drop-in coils for them, for several other ECF members and local friends.

As mentioned by @ShowMeTwice, I do enjoy "the hunt" for deals on things people are looking for. I'm also a big fan of the Zenith MTL tanks, so may be able to help you with info on them and some deals, too. :)

Katcandoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2013
Georgia , USA
I almost exclusively build for RTAs that I like. I have changed several times but have settled on the Dual Coil Zeus X and I will stay with for several years as I picked up quite a few of the tanks for backup. I vape at .2 ohm with 1.5 mg nic down from 2 mg a short time ago,

If you are willing to build, why not look at a few good single coil RTA Tanks that would allow you to get in the ohm range you like and are the type of tank for the vape you like. There are several designed for Mouth to Lung vape and a lot of ones made for Direct to Lung vaping.

So it will depend on what type of vape you like to find a tank you like. Any tank with pre-built coils will probably be hard to find coils for after a year or so, just the way it goes.

Thank you! I'm comfortable with rebuilding single coil drippers. Had a Paradigm I loved! It would take dual coils, but I wasn't proficient at multiple coils. However, I hope that the market has advanced enough that those little little tiny screws and minuscule screw drivers are no longer necessary. Lol!

Reactions: stols001

Katcandoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2013
Georgia , USA
Katcandoo, I remember you! Welcome, from one old dog to another. Can't help much as I decided to stay with rebuildables. Just a jiffy with a coil master. I keep multiple builds on hand so, if flavor fades or the wick darkens, I just grab something else for the day. But yes, it is planned obsolescence. And if you track a while, you'll notice lots of trends plus recycling of prior ideas. Let me know if I can help on rebuildables. GL

I remember you too! It's coming up on 7 years! This site saved my life when I was a newbie. Things have changed so much! This place such a wealth of knowledge, support, and information. And I still come back here for advice.

Katcandoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2013
Georgia , USA
Yes Vaping does change quickly - just about every week some firm comes out with the latest greatest new device which lasts until the next miracle gizmo gets launched.

My own approach is when I find something I really like I tend to stick with it - which means for me that I buy stocks of the thing while they are still available.

The handle "Falconeer" originated because I switched from cigarettes to a Falcon pipe back in 1974 and stuck with Falcons ( I had 14 of them ) until 4 years ago - so I'll admit to being slightly resistant to change!

I'm still happily using my Nauti Minis four years on and my iStick 30ws because for me they work ( and I have shall we say a few of them and "some" spare 1.6 ohm coils.)

As has been mentioned the Zenith Tanks get a lot of love round here - that might be the way to consider for you.

Thanks! I loved my two Aspire Nautilus 2 tanks on my Eleaf picos! Then I found myself on a trip with my last coil, and it was a dud. The local vape shop didn't have coils for it, so I had to get a new tank. All their tanks were 22 mm, and my Pico only took 18 mm, so got a new battery. That experience opened up a whole new world.

Katcandoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2013
Georgia , USA
I am not sure why people are suggesting the Zenith tank, which everything I have heard says it's a tight draw, and OP said specifically they want an open draw. Also OP is in the USA and may not even be able to buy replacement heads for it come next year (depending on regulations). Doesn't sound like a good fit to me.

@Katcandoo It might help us provide more accurate suggestions it you could tell us which tanks and drippers you have tried that you do like. As others have said, for longevity, rebuildables are the only option. Especially with the possible bans currently making the rounds in the US and the pending regulations coming early next year. At this point in the US, I wouldn't buy anything that uses pre-built coil heads because you may not be able to get ANY of them come next year. If you don't like dripping but are OK rebuilding, there are lots of rebuildable tanks that you don't have to drip. Again knowing what you do like can help us to give you more suitable recommendations.

ScottP, you are right on the money. I have several Joytech ProCore Airs that have a wide open draw that I love. I can build for single coil drippers, but it's so much easier to just change a coil.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
I know how you feel about "drop-in" coils. Even though I'm mostly building RTAs I still love my little Nautilus X tank with 1.8 ohm coils (it's MTL... my carry around... doesn't leak either) I Like loose MTL and restricted DL. Can't stand tight MTL though (my first little mod kit I would have thrown it out if I hadn't drilled out the air holes!) Problem is, it's getting hard to find coils for my Nauti X (at one time I found them for $4 a 5-pack... didn't have the funds or would have bought a bunch) I like my RTAs but they don't travel well. If you find a tank you like, and can afford it, stock up as many coils as you can! Otherwise you may be forced to do rebuildables. Just how much airflow do you want? It's hard to describe in words. What one person calls restricted is like super loose to someone else. I don't know if you realize, but there are lots of super good deals right now. I am a super bargain hunter (don't have a choice) There is also the option of building with mesh (works well with less watts) For a dripper, you have choices of RDTA or squonker if you tire of actual dripping. Many newer design for build decks have easier ways to mount coils (and dollar stores have cheap reading glasses) Don't be afraid to jump back into this.

Katcandoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2013
Georgia , USA
Katcando i understand what you mean about the quickly changing vape products it has happened often
here as well. Once i learned diy and making coils years back that helped a great deal.
Many coilheads are proprietary then something new comes up and the old is no longer around.

Some mentioned the Innokin's Zenith tank and can attest its a great tank for some including me but the day will come when they become obsolete like most others so i took a head apart and personally testing a vertical coil similar to joyetech's clr coilhead .

Joyetech's clr coilheads are easily rebuilt if one can rebuild but the wire itself last a long time just dry burn coil and replace the cotton when wire breaks or whatever its easily for many to recoil it.

Its all about the individual if one is willing to keep buying the newest and latest and fads as well back when i started there were no cloud chasers or pods, no wattage mods or temp control mods and mostly sub ohm was not heard or popular then things changed.
One can change with it or not if they can diy and rebuild.
Once you find something you really like and rebuild and stock up on tanks etc to your satisfaction you will be fine.

I've done DIY juice when my favorite and daily vape went out of business. Built coils for drippers when my favorite tank went obsolete. But it's time consuming.

Katcandoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 4, 2013
Georgia , USA
If you'll PM me, to let me know what tank that is...I may be able to help you with locating more of them and/or the coils. I've recently found amazing deals on some subohm tanks and the very discounted in price drop-in coils for them, for several other ECF members and local friends.

As mentioned by @ShowMeTwice, I do enjoy "the hunt" for deals on things people are looking for. I'm also a big fan of the Zenith MTL tanks, so may be able to help you with info on them and some deals, too. :)

Yay! Thank you! I'm very happy with my Joytech ProCore Airs. I was purchasing the .4 coils from myvaporstore. They recently only had the .2 coils. I looked everywhere online for the .4 with no luck. Myvaporstore just got them back in stock so I ordered 10.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    You're just like me. I hear you LOUD AND CLEAR. Sorry for the long-azz post but I think it should be helpful as I am just like you in many ways and I have been down that road.

The problem that you're having is the exact reason why I like and have many of the Kangertech Subtank/Toptank Mini and the Protank 4, which are both discontinued and it looks like the coils are discontinued, too (but not sure on that).

But the reason I like them is they are basically clearomizers that come with an RBA head that turn your tank into an RTA. I have 20 or so of these RBA heads and maybe as much as 8-10 of the aforementioned tanks. I can coil & wick the RBAS up and carry some with me wherever I go, just like I would with factory coil heads. So if I'm out n about and my current coil/wick need changed, I can switch out the current RBA with another that I coiled and wicked ahead of time.

The Subtank Mini RBA V2 is also very easy to coil and wick, which is a big plus for me.

Now that's not a solution because eventually you will never find the Kanger Subtank/Toptank Minis and Protank 4s or the RBA that fits them. Unless of course you buy a couple hundred dollars worth now before they are all gone. lol

I know there are other tanks out there like the Subtanks, where you can use a factory coil or an RBA, but I can't suggest any because I have so many Subtanks/Toptanks/Protank 4s and RBAs that I have never had to buy new tanks for quite a few years and will not for many more years to come.

So you have to ask and look around for a clearomizer tank that has the following features...

1. Can use factory coils...but...
    2. Comes with an RBA section to turn the tank into an RTA.
    3. Can buy those RBA sections separately so that you can have multiple, coil/wick them ahead of time and carry a few around with you just as you would a factory coil heads.
    4. Is a 22mm tank (otherwise you may have to buy al new mods).

I suggest you make a new thread asking for suggestions for newer tanks (released in the last 1-2 years) that fit the above criteria. I'm sure there are plenty of people here that probably know every single tank out there that exists with the above criteria. Your best bet is to buy one that is not too old so you have a better chance of getting parts for the next few years. But ultimately you'll want to buy more than one tank and many RBA sections (and other parts like glass) so you eventually never have to worry about playing this awful game china plays with us smokers, er um, vapers.

Your only other solution is that you'll have to start buying/using tanks that are strictly RTAs that are suitable for you. Yes, they are inconvenient than the types described above in that if you are out and about and your RTA needs recoiled and wicked,then you are kinda screwed. But that's why you have to hedge that by carrying more than one RTA and/or coil/wire/tools with you. Once you find the RTA that you love, then you will have to buy more than one BUT you will also have to buy spare parts like screws, o-rings, glass, base sections/decks etc. so that you can vape that for a few years into the future before you have to worry about finding new tanks.

It's going to be a little work before you find a good fit for you, But if you play your cards right, you'll get to that happy place soon enough.

Thanks! I loved my two Aspire Nautilus 2 tanks on my Eleaf picos! Then I found myself on a trip with my last coil, and it was a dud. The local vape shop didn't have coils for it, so I had to get a new tank. All their tanks were 22 mm, and my Pico only took 18 mm, so got a new battery. That experience opened up a whole new world.

You must be confused or I am not understanding you correctly. The Nautilus 2 is a 22mm tank. And all the picos that I know of all accommodate 22mm tanks or larger, depending on which model.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread