twisted kanthal wire coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

im_coryy

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
USA
so whats the point of twisting kanthal wire? just to get lower ohms and have more coils? i cant really find any guides on it.

i use 32 gauge kanthal did a 5 wrap coil made 1.7-1.8 ohms. i fairly new to building so please forgive me. also i see on youtube coil videos. people will make diamond coil builds and stuff what are they used for? do people actually use them as legitimate coils other to to say hey ive done this? whats the purpose?

TheKiwi

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 2, 2013
Durham, North Carolina, United States
I used to be a huge skeptic of twisted wires until I tried it out myself. A double or triple twisted 32 is a ridiculously good vape. Like someone else mentioned, keep in mind that heating time can increase. The solution is to avoid twisting massive wires eg double 26ga, and of course limiting the number of wraps. The other more obvious solution is to vape at a higher wattage. Do keep in mind though, twisting wires lowers the overall resistance per length.

Burping out loud using Tapatalk

guambred

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2014
Guam, USA
I have had an amazing vape with some twisted 28 in my Igo-W at around 3.4ohm 4 wraps dual with silica. Same setup with 26g and 24g is good but for some reason the twisted heats up faster, and has better flavor. been running it almost a month with a couple rewicks and dry burns. looking kinda tired today and I think I will do another build tonight if I have the time. I think I have enough left over for another go, but if not I have lots of 26, and 24.........Ah decisions. For the record It is a PITA to thread the twisted 28 into Igo-W post holes.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread