U.S.A: PACT Act 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngeLsLuv

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Lake Ariel, PA.
Since Congress is likely to enact the PACT Act (as the Senate approved Kohl's PACT bill several years ago, but it didn't get approved by the House), I suggest that it would be best to urge members of Congress to exempt smokeless tobacco products from the legislation.

Unlike the massive and growing problem of cigarette tax evasion, there is very little if any tax evasion or smuggling of smokeless tobacco products.

And since cigarettes are 100 times deadlier than smokeless tobacco products, there is no public health need to apply the PACT Act to smokeless tobacco products.

Although the FDA doesn't now classify e-cigarettes as tobacco products, if they do (as I've been urging the agency to), e-cigarettes would probably be considered a smokeless tobacco product (not a cigarette or cigar).

Ironically, there is far more tax evasion for cigars than for smokeless tobacco products. But cigars are exempt from the PACT Act.

Why are you urging the FDA to classify juice as a tobacco product?? This is what none of us want them to do..

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
Why are you urging the FDA to classify juice as a tobacco product?? This is what none of us want them to do..

I think you need to catch up on the legal issues. The choice is realistically going to be between only "drug product" or (reduced harm) "tobacco product". The latter is the only way ecigs have a prayer of staying lawfully and openly available here in the US.

Last edited:

AngeLsLuv

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Lake Ariel, PA.
The Native Americans will fight back and I mean that literally. They did a few years back when the state of New York tried to block shipments from leaving the reservations.

That's the problem with them.. The Pact Act 2003 tried to screw them royally...

Along with that, the USA Postal Service lost from 2003 to 2008 $140 million (and people wonder wht the postage stamps went up?? )

Last edited:

JerryRM

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2009
Rhode Island
That's the problem with them.. The Pact Act 2003 tried to screw them royally... I was getting my ciggies from
Discount Cigarettes : Cheap Cigarettes Online

They are in up state NY.. although they were being harrassed, etc, I still got my analogs and none were blocked.. Along with that, the USA Postal Service lost from 2003 to 2008 $140 million (and people wonder wht the postage stamps went up?? )

I was looking at a website the other day and the Native Americans are very upset about the PACT Act. Some of them mentioned about going underground and some accused the "white man" of oppressing them, again. It's going to be very interesting to see how they react if it's passed.

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
Ashley, there is no problem yet. If they decide to ban, or impose severe restrictions on internet sales of e-cigs, then CVS will just stop selling them.

online...CVS will stop selling them online.

I travel I-10 several times a month and Pilot has moved their Njoy displays from next to the bumper stickers and collectable shot glasses to a display case right next to the register. (Where they were prior to the FDA report)

AngeLsLuv

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Lake Ariel, PA.
Hmmm! Good to know AngeLsLuv. Good to know. ;)

I dropped UPS from my vocabulary after they held a large shipment "for inspection" back in March. Maybe it's time to revisit them.

Hi Webby,

"For inspection"??? Did you get everything or were there things missing???

I get my insulin pump stuff every 3 months and it's the same thing everytime.. Same UPS guy too.. He says hi by my nickname and knows me, but out of "rules" he still needs to see ID and all.. Kinda silly...

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
I think you need to catch up on the legal issues. The choice is realistically going to be between only "drug product" or (reduced harm) "tobacco product". The latter is the only way ecigs have a prayer of staying lawfully and openly available here in the US.

Right Yvilla,

A third angle is that they be classified as something entirely new. The car was classified as a "horseless carriage" until "automobile" became a new entity altogether.

Of course this is an argument that can only be made on appeal. CASAA is monotoring every possible line of attack. (Remember, after years of hitting him head on, Al Capone was caught on tax evasion) They can call e-cigs rubber baby buggy bumpers for all I care. Just as long as they are kept legal.

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
Hi Webby,

"For inspection"??? Did you get everything or were there things missing???

I get my insulin pump stuff every 3 months and it's the same thing everytime.. Same UPS guy too.. He says hi by my nickname and knows me, but out of "rules" he still needs to see ID and all.. Kinda silly...

Odd case - they actually sent them back to China (doubt they'd do that now) and we had them reshipped with no problem. Same paperwork, different carrier.

JerryRM

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2009
Rhode Island
online...CVS will stop selling them online.

I travel I-10 several times a month and Pilot has moved their Njoy displays from next to the bumper stickers and collectable shot glasses to a display case right next to the register. (Where they were prior to the FDA report)

You are right, Webby, but the reason I didn't mention "online", is because their website states "online only". I assume they don't carry them in their "brick and mortar" stores, but who knows, that could change with the PACT Act, and maybe they will start selling them in the stores.

Webby

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Mar 31, 2009
USA
You are right, Webby, but the reason I didn't mention "online", is because their website states "online only". I assume they don't carry them in their "brick and mortar" stores, but who knows, that could change with the PACT Act, and maybe they will start selling them in the stores.

Exactly what I was thinking Jerry. It seems like odd timing that the PACT act, Judge Leon's decision and a sudden re-emergance of SE and Njoy (not to mention CVS) all suddenly have come into play when we've had no movement for months.

AngeLsLuv

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Lake Ariel, PA.
Exactly Angels!

;-)

Where's the smiley for a wink?? aauuuggghh!!! *LOL*

Last thing I want is for them to be anything but something I buy for my personal use.. Not a tobacco, Not a subscription (where I know for a fact that my doctors will not perscribe), not a controlled substance, or anything..

As far as I'm concerned the FDA is a bunch of yahoo's that don't know what they are doing, and cannot mind their own business.

How many drugs have they put on the market, where you see PSA's on contacting a lawyer if you've experienced illness' or someone taking them has died?? F

DA is a Crock of Bouillabaisse....

Last edited:

JerryRM

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2009
Rhode Island
Right Yvilla,

A third angle is that they be classified as something entirely new. The car was classified as a "horseless carriage" until "automobile" became a new entity altogether.

Of course this is an argument that can only be made on appeal. CASAA is monotoring every possible line of attack. (Remember, after years of hitting him head on, Al Capone was caught on tax evasion) They can call e-cigs rubber baby buggy bumpers for all I care. Just as long as they are kept legal.

You should read some of the ridiculous laws that they wrote, when the "horseless carriage" came out. One that I remember (can't remember what state), is that when approaching a horse, the driver had to stop, dismantle the car, hide it on the side of the road, covered with a cloth, until the horse passed by. You can't make this stuff up!!

I wonder if we will have to dismantle and hide our e-cigs, when a non-smoker/vaper approaches us!! At least it will be easier than dismantling a car. lol.

AngeLsLuv

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Lake Ariel, PA.
Think about this..

If it wasn't for those two companys trying to sell my e-ciggies and claimed that you could quit smoking using them, there would be no claim that these were a drug product...

Yes they are essentially are a tobacco product, but it's pretty well known that they do not have the same effect as tobacco as far as consuming fyberglass and all of the toxins as tobacco, thus in 1/2 of the reasoning they are not a tobacco product is true..

Still say, FDA can kiss my tushy... Along with the USA Government (who is probably watching me and will find Da Feds at my door for talking against them as I type *LOL*)

Last edited:

JerryRM

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2009
Rhode Island
Exactly what I was thinking Jerry. It seems like odd timing that the PACT act, Judge Leon's decision and a sudden re-emergance of SE and Njoy (not to mention CVS) all suddenly have come into play when we've had no movement for months.

It's all coming to a head, Webby. The next few months may be very interesting.

AngeLsLuv

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Lake Ariel, PA.
You should read some of the ridiculous laws that they wrote, when the "horseless carriage" came out. One that I remember (can't remember what state), is that when approaching a horse, the driver had to stop, dismantle the car, hide it on the side of the road, covered with a cloth, until the horse passed by. You can't make this stuff up!!

I wonder if we will have to dismantle and hide our e-cigs, when a non-smoker/vaper approaches us!! At least it will be easier than dismantling a car. lol.

Jerry,

*LOL* Those Red and Blue for that matter laws slay me.. I could read them forever... Too funny!!

JerryRM

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2009
Rhode Island
Think about this..

If it wasn't for those two companys trying to sell my e-ciggies and claimed that you could quit smoking using them, there would be no claim that these were a drug product...

Yes they are essentially are a tobacco product, but it's pretty well known that they do not have the same effect as tobacco as far as consuming fyberglass and all of the toxins as tobacco, thus in 1/2 of the reasoning they are not a tobacco product is false...

Still say, FDA can kiss my tushy... Along with the USA Government (who is probably watching me and will find Da Feds at my door for talking against them as I type *LOL*)

That's not going to happen, Jules. We still have freedom of speech.

JerryRM

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Nov 10, 2009
Rhode Island
Jerry,

*LOL* Those Red and Blue for that matter laws slay me.. I could read them forever... Too funny!!

Jules, there was a law from Colonial times on the Massachusetts books, that wasn't removed until about 10 or 15 years ago, that stated that a Rhode Islander found in Massachusetts could be shot on sight.

I didn't realize that all those times that I entered Massachusetts, I was putting my life in danger.

They didn't like us back then. lol. :D

AngeLsLuv

ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2009
Lake Ariel, PA.
Jules, there was a law from Colonial times on the Massachusetts books, that wasn't removed until about 10 or 15 years ago, that stated that a Rhode Islander found in Massachusetts could be shot on sight.

I didn't realize that all those times that I entered Massachusetts, I was putting my life in danger.

They didn't like us back then. lol. :D

Hahaha!! Too funny.. Would have been afraid what they thought of those in Connecticut *LOL*

Back in 1982 0r 1983 I lived in a town near Scranton, PA.. Two of my neighbors were fighting with each other about silly stuff.. One called up the cops about an old blue law that was still on the books saying that you could not iron clothes on Sunday against the other (the other neighbor used to iron her husband's clothes for his upcomming week on her back porch).. Cops showed up and arrested her... She sat at the police station for afew hours and had to pay a fine.. Stupidest thing I've ever seen.. *LOL*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread