Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob Chill

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
Sans Nom, USA
My County proposed a tax last year but failed. I'm pretty sure the state will jump on board within a year though. Luckily we have a Republican Gov for once and he's pretty cool about taxes so far. He slashed the bay bridge toll by nearly 40% last summer along with multipe other toll plazas. He initially had some critics but oddly (sarcastic oddly) ocean city md recorded one of its best tourist seasons in many years.

Our tax happy previous governor "Owe'Malley" jacked the cig tax from a buck a pack to 2 bucks. Cig tax revenue went basically unchanged. Lol. Virginia sure liked it though.

States that are dumb with ecig taxes will only benefit States that are smart. There is no doubt in my mind that VA will be easy on ecig taxes. WV's taxes kinda suck but will end up looking pretty good once everyone else jumps in.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Read the link you posted. It's specifically for tobacco products.
Here is what is on the books concerning e-cig tax in Minnesota.
You'll notice the 95% wholesale tax rate. Read it carefully.
Minnesota tobacco wholesalers never sold e-cigarette products.
still don't as far as I know. This law is from 2009. It refers to
cigalikes only. Two new laws attempting to close the loop hole
were pocket vetoed with out over ride and no apparent hue and
cry from all of the usual subjects.

E-cigarettes

As of today the only tax paid on e-cig products is the states sales tax as with everything.
Regards
Mike
Minnesota wholesalers are responsible for state tax collection of tobacco products.
who ever brings them in sate are responsible for federal taxes. Same as alcohol
I beleive. Not 100% sure.

I just quoted their Listing.........:cool:
MD = Age Restriction and 6% Sales Tax.:thumb:

Reactions: skoony

Friday13th

Vaping since Friday 13th of July 2012
Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2015
Living a Dodge life in Oklahoma
States that didn't participate in the MSA and so aren't depending on those funds for current and future revenue:

Florida
Minnesota
Mississippi
Texas

It will be interesting to see how things go with them. I am looking to find a list of states who have sold tobacco futures bonds. They will likely be looking to protect smoking by taxing vaping punitively or banning it to the extent that they can.

Here's a link to an excellent article describing the MSA and futures bonds and what states are in trouble. Well worth reading:

How Wall Street Tobacco Deals Left States With Billions in Toxic Debt

This link will take you to a state-by-state list showing how much bond debt and how much each state actually spends on smoking prevention:

Who Has The Most Tobacco Debt?

These were posted here on ECF a while back and were worth saving.

Last edited:

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
This link will take you to a state-by-state list showing how much bond debt and how much each state actually spends on smoking prevention:

Who Has The Most Tobacco Debt?

Hush Money to keep doing business as usual. Small percentage to Prevention, large percentage to their General Funds. Nothing to Families that Lost members to Tobacco..........Who is cheating who?:glare:

Reactions: 57chilicat

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2011
Somewhere out there
Michigan, where I live, is vaping perfection. No State laws of any kind related to vaping. A few localities have a few rules which were either unnecessary or ignored. I did jury duty in the Federal court in Detroit a few weeks ago and vaped my way through it in the jury room. That's truth, justice, and the American way, the Michigan way.
Gotta love MI :)

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Michigan, where I live, is vaping perfection. No State laws of any kind related to vaping. A few localities have a few rules which were either unnecessary or ignored. I did jury duty in the Federal court in Detroit a few weeks ago and vaped my way through it in the jury room. That's truth, justice, and the American way, the Michigan way.

That, in part, is why my wife and I are retiring from the Chicagoland area to Michigan. We studied all 50 states, and Michigan came out on top, in terms of reasonableness and efficiency of state government.

We're both quite conservative. But interestingly, we found that both purely red and purely blue states were equally poorly governed. Michigan, being purple, came out on top in our list of criteria. Just an observation.

Reactions: bnrkwest

Rathamar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Mound - Minnesota, USA
Tax of 95% of wholesale price imposed on tobacco products, including e-cigarettes.
Minn. Stat. Ann. § 297F.05 (2016):yawn:

My $242 Reo and Spare parts purchase could have cost me $472 there:-x

Yep - thats why I get most of my gear online. I will shop the local B&M's for Juice (mostly their house blends as that is where the most profit is) but gear is bought online or on a trip to neighboring Wisconsin, which has almost no regs against Vaping Products (well as of now).

Reactions: bnrkwest

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
@Rathamar There is no 95% wholesale tax being collected in Minnesota.
All tobacco products did and still are sold to retail outlets by licensed
distributes who collect the state tobacco taxes. When e-cigarettes were
added to be taxed as tobacco (2009) the licensed tobacco distributors
were not selling them. (cigalikes back then) The 95% wholesale tax
(the same as premium cigars) could not be collected. It still isn't.
The link below is the regulation concerning e-cigarettes.
E-cigarettes
It clearly refers to cigalikes and carto's. I can locally source at retail
a 30 ml bottle of juice for $11.99 + 7.5% state sales tax. The gear
although higher than internet prices isn't totally unreasonable either.
I can get a EVOD 1100 mah battery for about $14.00.
Regards
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread