Deeming Regulations have been released!!!!

Oliver

ECF Founder, formerly SmokeyJoe
Admin
Verified Member
You can download all 499 pages of the regulations here: https://s3.amazonaws.com/public-inspection.federalregister.gov/2016-10685.pdf

We liveblogged the reaction: Deeming Live blog | vaping.com

Clive Bates on Stanton Glantz and the junk science which got us here: Professor Glantz brings his anti-vaping crusade to Europe – I review his presentation

Here's the reaction from US vaping organisations:

SFATA:SFATA ISSUES STATEMENT ON FDA’S FINAL DEEMING RULE - SFATA | Smoke Free Alternatives Trade Association
VTA: (via Phil Busardo) - http://www.tasteyourjuice.com/wordpress/archives/12809
AVA: Not yet
TVECA: Not yet

And from ECITA, UK org: FDA ‘Deeming’ of e-cigs – designed to destroy? | ECITA - Electronic Cigarette Industry Trade Association

Individual commentors

Mike Siegel: The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary: My Op-Ed in Wall Street Journal Points Out Folly of FDA E-Cigarette Deeming Regulations & The Rest of the Story: Tobacco News Analysis and Commentary: FDA E-Cigarette Deeming Regulations are a Disaster for Public Health

Carl Phillips: Ecig deeming regulation — nothing new to see here

Rich Lowry: http://nypost.com/2016/05/09/uncle-sams-crackdown-on-e-cigs-will-make-it-harder-to-quit-smoking/

Sally Satel: What the US should learn from the UK's wisdom on e-cigarettes - AEI

Consumer organisations:

CASAA: CASAA: FDA Deeming Regulations: Release and Next Steps

Various articles
Washington Post: Why the FDA’s new e-cigarette regulations are a gift to Big Tobacco (and could actually harm public health)

Economics21: FDA’s New E-Cig Regs Will Kill

US News: What the E-Cigarette Black Market Will Look Like if FDA Stomps Industry

Reason: Government Officials Are Determined to Turn Vapers Into Scofflaws

PBS interview with Mitch Zeller: Skyrocketing teen use of e-cigarettes leads to new regulations

Clarityse: When two tribes go to war

Stock Transcript: The government crackdown is here: What the FDA regulations mean for e-cigarettes | Stock Transcript

Science Explorer: FDA Announces That E-Cigarette Products Will Now Be Regulated Like Regular Cigarettes

NYT Health: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/11/upshot/e-cigarettes-are-safer-but-not-exactly-safe.html

Weekly Standard: FDA Moves to Kill E-Cigarettes

Think tanks:

FEE: How the FDA Is Helping Big Tobacco and Encouraging Teen Smoking | Jonathan H. Adler

See also Sally Satel at AEI above
Videos

Brent Stafford (regulator watch): NO MORE CASUALTIES - VAPING BECOMES COLLATERAL DAMAGE IN WAR ON SMOKING - REG WATCH (E28) from Brent Stafford on Vimeo

Last edited:

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa

cooladdict

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2012
Seahawk Nation
I guess we all knew it was coming. I haven't kept up with it as much as some but am a little surprised that they are hitting the hardware so intensely.
That makes me furious!! I just don't see how they will be able to enforce that. There are too many other battery operated devices on the market that can fail, so are those next?

nlgeekdad

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2013
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
Interesting line "It is noted that the study involved a convenience sample of 51 types of flavored e-cigarettes and may not be representative of the types of e-liquids currently available to users." My question would then be whats the point in the study? If it does not represent whats available to users then what the heck are they testing for their study?

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
China will just call there mods "variable wattage" flashlights. The FDA just created a HUGE black market, do they think a billion dollar industry will just go belly up? They'll be an Al Capone of e-liquids and the corporations in China will be filing lawsuits. I myself will vape BECAUSE the FDA tells me not to.

Marina2

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 27, 2015
USA
For those wondering how long...

"Under staggered timelines, the FDA expects that manufacturers will continue selling their products for up to two years while they submit – and an additional year while the FDA reviews – a new tobacco product application. The FDA will issue an order granting marketing authorization where appropriate; otherwise, the product will face FDA enforcement."

FDA takes significant steps to protect Americans from dangers of tobacco through new regulation

This timeline will start 90 days after rule is in effect (Some say it will be in effect around August of this year.)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
CASAA: FDA Deeming Regulations: Release and Next Steps

Per CASAA:

"The most important thing you can do is to make a call, write, or send an email to your Representative and urge them to cosponsor and support HR 2058. If there is one thing that has to be done, this is it. Encourage your family members, friends, everyone who has supported your journey to participate."

Katmar

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2009
Pittsburgh, Pa
For those wondering how long...

"Under staggered timelines, the FDA expects that manufacturers will continue selling their products for up to two years while they submit – and an additional year while the FDA reviews – a new tobacco product application. The FDA will issue an order granting marketing authorization where appropriate; otherwise, the product will face FDA enforcement."

FDA takes significant steps to protect Americans from dangers of tobacco through new regulation

This timeline will start 90 days after rule is in effect (Some say it will be in effect around August of this year.)

No, it will be longer than that. 24 months and 30 days according to the regs. and the folks blogging, including SJ.

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
Time to disband the FDA and reconstitute its ostensibly constructive elements as highly compartmentalized dedicated operations. It has grown way too powerful. And the people will be controlled by such presumptive authority…for the sake of our health. The only thing unhealthy in this situation is the FDA. The combination of tobacco and drugs in a food regulator is hazardous to our health. Good luck. :(

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
China will just call there mods "variable wattage" flashlights. The FDA just created a HUGE black market, do they think a billion dollar industry will just go belly up? They'll be an Al Capone of e-liquids and the corporations in China will be filing lawsuits. I myself will vape BECAUSE the FDA tells me not to.

Hear, hear! What they've just done is institutionalize a monolithic cartel called Corporation China making it virtually impossible for us to innovate into legitimacy. Good luck all. :|

jackmormon

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
This could be easily rectified if Joyetech offered Donald Rumsfeld a CEO salary for doing nothing and then he gets appointed as head of the FDA for a few months.

This is how Aspartame was approved by the FDA after years of denials. (GD Searle & Donald Rumsfeld pulled off this stunt.)

Users who are viewing this thread