Ugh, battery life...

Status
Not open for further replies.

vivictus

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2010
NoCal
So I have this Riva 510 and got it almost 2 months ago. a battery will generally last me the entire day unless I find myself vaping heavily. I've noticed lately though that even a fully charged battery doesn't seem to deliver as it did when I got it. It still works, don't get me wrong, but I have to take 3-4 draws in succession in order to get the TH and vapor that I did when they were new. Is this normal behavior when a battery is beginning to go out? I figured it would just stop holding a charge for as long, but it's acting as if the correct power isn't even getting to the carto.

On that note, is something like this worth contacting the company I bought it from for possible replacements?

Also, I am considering a passthrough since I use these mostly while in my room anyway. I am a little confused with them though. I've seen mentioned PT's and PT's that run at 5 volts. The 5 volt ones apparently give a better TH and vapor from what I've read. Do I need special cartomizers for a 5 volt one or would the regular ones still work fine?

vivictus

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2010
NoCal
Is it like that with all your atties?

I don't really know if there's anywhere that will guarantees Riva's for 2 months, but it's worth a shot. Shoot the supplier an email.

I don't use atty's, just cartomizers. I tried an atty once and didn't care for it. I didn't get the increased TH or flavor that many people seem to experience. So I'd rather just fill a carto up a couple times a day and call it good.

Also, I got the Riva from Liberty Flights and it's supposed to have a 90 day warranty on the batteries. I'd rather not make a warranty claim if this is just a normal experience for people just finally getting used to it all. But if it is bad batteries, I guess I should. The big issue there is I would need to get replacement batteries ahead of time because the policy states after 14 days I have to send the faulty batteries back before a replacement will be given.

vivictus

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2010
NoCal
Why don't you call customer service and talk with them about it? They may be able to walk you through some problem solving to see if you can figure out what's going on and/or work with you to see if there's a potential warranty claim.

I will after I try out a couple more things, such as a brand new carto. Also, I usually clean the end of the battery off with a paper towel. I think I am going to soak them in some rubbing alcohol for a little bit just to make sure there's no hard to see gunk in there possibly hurting the connection. If I don't see an improvement, then yeah, I'll be calling them.

NukeDOC

ECF Veteran
Oct 7, 2010
san diego
www.facebook.com
try charging it for a couple more hours after the light turns green. ive started to notice that i am getting much more use out of my batteries when i forget about the one that is charging. usually about 8hrs.

or try using a multimeter to test how much voltage your battery is pushing when you press the button. when you notice this happening. compare it to when you just took the battery off the charger.

vivictus

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2010
NoCal
try charging it for a couple more hours after the light turns green. ive started to notice that i am getting much more use out of my batteries when i forget about the one that is charging. usually about 8hrs.

or try using a multimeter to test how much voltage your battery is pushing when you press the button. when you notice this happening. compare it to when you just took the battery off the charger.

Actually I just leave the battery on the charger until the one I am using dies, so it's on there for probably 12-15 hours at a time.

Denrock316

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
Ohio, USA
Actually I just leave the battery on the charger until the one I am using dies, so it's on there for probably 12-15 hours at a time.

This is what I do with my eGo Batteries, it seems like the charge lasts longer too. My eGo 900mahs usually only need to be swapped every other day, only rarely will I use one up in a day and that's only if I stay up really really late.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Every time I re-fill a carto, I take a q-tip and wipe down the inside threads of the battery. The heat causes some black looking stuff to accumulate and I figure if I keep it off the battery might work better and also get the best connections possible. I also use a paper towel to remove the black stuff from the cartos also. I use the q-tip and paper towel dry, no moisture. I have been using the same batteries since I started vaping just over 4 months ago and they are all still going strong. I use the Buzz, eGo 650 pt, eGo 900 batteries and 2 rivas. I like many different juices and so I alternate them. I have gone as long as a day and a half on the 900's before recharging.

-- just my 2cents.
:)
wv

vaporgalinfla

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
May 7, 2010
Florida
So I have this Riva 510 and got it almost 2 months ago. a battery will generally last me the entire day unless I find myself vaping heavily. I've noticed lately though that even a fully charged battery doesn't seem to deliver as it did when I got it. It still works, don't get me wrong, but I have to take 3-4 draws in succession in order to get the TH and vapor that I did when they were new. Is this normal behavior when a battery is beginning to go out? I figured it would just stop holding a charge for as long, but it's acting as if the correct power isn't even getting to the carto.

On that note, is something like this worth contacting the company I bought it from for possible replacements?

Also, I am considering a passthrough since I use these mostly while in my room anyway. I am a little confused with them though. I've seen mentioned PT's and PT's that run at 5 volts. The 5 volt ones apparently give a better TH and vapor from what I've read. Do I need special cartomizers for a 5 volt one or would the regular ones still work fine?

I definitely would contact the company you bought if from. In the interim, have you cleaned the threads on your Riva? Also, make sure that you clean the bottom of your cartos after filling them.

vivictus

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2010
NoCal
I definitely would contact the company you bought if from. In the interim, have you cleaned the threads on your Riva? Also, make sure that you clean the bottom of your cartos after filling them.

I think it might just be me now that I think about it. I just had an analog (Pall Mall full flavor) and I didn't get even the slighted TH from it, just a little scratchiness. I think I might just be adapting to the stronger TH of vaping and not noticing it as much. And the batteries aren't dying quicker or anything. I just thought they seemed to be weaker, mainly with the TH coming from them, but yeah, this might just be a personal issue I will have to deal with I am thinking.

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina

There is a great deal on a true 5V PT in the classifieds right now. I think that he has 1 left.

You will get better TH from a higher voltage device.:)

vaporgalinfla

Supplier Associate
ECF Veteran
May 7, 2010
Florida
I think it might just be me now that I think about it. I just had an analog (Pall Mall full flavor) and I didn't get even the slighted TH from it, just a little scratchiness. I think I might just be adapting to the stronger TH of vaping and not noticing it as much. And the batteries aren't dying quicker or anything. I just thought they seemed to be weaker, mainly with the TH coming from them, but yeah, this might just be a personal issue I will have to deal with I am thinking.

Could be, but make sure and clean the threads on your Riva and your cartos. Just use rubbing alcohol and a q-tip.

vivictus

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2010
NoCal
There is a great deal on a true 5V PT in the classifieds right now. I think that he has 1 left.

You will get better TH from a higher voltage device.:)

I didn't see that PT deal in the classifieds that you mention here. But the question remains... Can I use a 5v PT with normal carto's or would I need LR carto's or something? I am still a bit of a noob here.

TexasT

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Jul 7, 2010
East Texas
I didn't see that PT deal in the classifieds that you mention here. But the question remains... Can I use a 5v PT with normal carto's or would I need LR carto's or something? I am still a bit of a noob here.

I'm sure there's somebody out there that knows a lot more about this than me ... but I use whatever I want on the pass through. Regular cartos, larger premium cartos and CE2's.

I don't even know if there is such a thing as an LR carto.

what I don't see mentioned in this thread is the obvious. anything other then Joye Manufacturing is exactly that, a cheaper knock-off and as such the batteries are not of the same caliber or quality of a true Joye battery. Never understodd the concept myself but it is like buying a rayovac battery instead of a duracell. Quality is the key really.
Yes you can test the MaH output on your battery to see what milliamps it is putting out to see what level of life is left in it. But in the end if you use it alot a lithium ion battery will only last so long. probably akin to about 5-600 recharges max to death of one of them.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I'm sure there's somebody out there that knows a lot more about this than me ... but I use whatever I want on the pass through. Regular cartos, larger premium cartos and CE2's.

I don't even know if there is such a thing as an LR carto.

Yes you can use regular cartos on a PT. and Texas the LR cartos were designed to give a bigger hit due to the less resistance. People are trying to mimick a real analog. Problem with LR is that they are hard on batteries and can cause them to wear out faster. Hence, all of the mods that are available. There really is a method to the madness.:)
wv

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread