Status
Not open for further replies.

PoliticallyIncorrect

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
SoCal
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...rm-smoking-experts-say.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

Ok, granted: this is from a British tabloid, hardly well-regarded for their journalistic integrity. But note the headline, then try to find it in the body of text. It ain't there. Who do we attribute it to?

"Experts." Nameless, faceless.

Presumably, Elisabeth Pott bases her claim of "acute respiratory system irritation" on the agenda-laden Athens study in which measurable, if insignificant airway restriction was observed. But run that through the ANTZ propaganda apparatus and it becomes acute—and taking the headline into account, cigarettes cause no such effect.

Last edited:

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
One of the Comments ...

Which experts? Dr Elisabeth Pott,? Basically saying cigarette smoke is better for you than e-cigarette vapour? What a load of rubbish. The Propylene glycol is the stuff disco fog machines use and is licensed for indoor use. I have never seen people burst out coughing from them. According to these experts if cigarette smoke would be better, imagine a disco fog machine using smoke from a fire. Everyone would be on the floor in coughing fits. Please back up your claims, which experts think smoking is cigarettes is less harmful than e-cigarettes. An analogy would be breathing in steam vapour from a kettle as opposed to smoke from a fire. You dont have to try to know which one is more dangerous. Experts, really???

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
I've been hoping someone would turn one of these articles or quotes around. Like "FDA says Cigarettes are Mostly Harmless" --
if they have been given evidence that e-cigs are mostly harmless and they say that ecigs are not a safe alternative to smoking, then hasn't the FDA said cigarettes are probably nearly harmless? Who else is saying this stuff?

How about a headline "American Lung Association Says Smoking is Almost Harmless" -- does anybody have proof they have mailed studies to the ALA showing the near-harmlessness if e-cigs? 'Cause if so, the following statement from the ALA at

E-cigarettes: Another Option to Help You Quit Smoking? - American Lung Association
If e-cigarettes sound too good to be true, that's because they probably are. With a dearth of rigorous studies on their safety and effectiveness, experts are increasingly concerned that e-cigarettes may do little to help you stop smoking -- and may actually do more harm than good.

.....amounts to saying combustible cigarettes 'may actually' be harmless.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
I've been hoping someone would turn one of these articles or quotes around. Like "FDA says Cigarettes are Mostly Harmless" --
if they have been given evidence that e-cigs are mostly harmless and they say that ecigs are not a safe alternative to smoking, then hasn't the FDA said cigarettes are probably nearly harmless? Who else is saying this stuff?

How about a headline "American Lung Association Says Smoking is Almost Harmless" -- does anybody have proof they have mailed studies to the ALA showing the near-harmlessness if e-cigs? 'Cause if so, the following statement from the ALA at

E-cigarettes: Another Option to Help You Quit Smoking? - American Lung Association

.....amounts to saying combustible cigarettes 'may actually' be harmless.

Hmmm.... This is encouraging (maybe). I clicked the link and got a "Page Not Found" result.

Vocalek

CASAA Activist
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Are my eyes deceiving me?

I did a search on "e-cigarettes" on the American Lung Association web site. This was one of the results.

The Addiction That Defies Reason - American Lung Association

E-Cigarette Controversy

Electronic cigarettes, or e-cigarettes, deliver a puff of vapor formed from liquid nicotine and aerosol mist, but no tar, formaldehyde, carbon monoxide, or other harmful chemicals in cigarettes. Some smokers rely on e-cigarettes, or “vaping,” to cut down on or quit smoking.

E-cigarette detractors argue that vaping actually diminishes people’s motivation to quit smoking, and that only nicotine gum and patches should be used as stop-smoking aids. The Food and Drug Administration’s attempt to have e-cigarettes labeled as drug-delivery devices failed last year, but the agency continues to warn that their safely has not been verified, and that they may entice young people to smoke.

E-cigarette proponents maintain that these devices may in some cases accomplish what no amount of hectoring, taxing, frightening images of people smoking through a tracheotomy, or banishing from public places can do: help people quit.

E-cigarettes worked for Darrin Gold, 41, a southern California real estate agent who happened upon an electronic cigarette kit at 7-11 almost a year ago when he stopped in to replenish his cigarette supply as had been his intractable habit for 27 years.

It appears that the above text may be from a news story in the LosAlamitos-SealBeachPatch. The fact that it isn't anti-ecigarette must have escaped the ALA editors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread