• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

UK research

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Um ... maybe put your clothes back on now Barry :oops: I didn't bargain for that much co-operation 8-o

Thanks for the link Smokey Joe, I'll have a look before I write anything to the Cochrane group.

It might be that we can act as a co-ordinating group for real world trials, not necessarily being studied ourselves but acting as an organising or consulting resource. I don't really know the possibilities myself but I'd like to keep as many options open as we can for now. If we can lobby for intermediaries, funding, expert clinicians, researchers, etc from here then maybe we can get something moving.

Chances are that setting up anything as ambitious as a decent clinical trial will take a long time though, so having records of progress here will make it easier to pass the batten when some of us move on.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
I've had another email from:

Amanda Young MScBSc(hons)
Practising Health Psychologist
Programme Manager (Technology Assessment Reports)
Science Support Directorate
National Coordinating Centre for Health Technology Assessment (NCCHTA)
NIHR HTA programme : Home

Amanda has taken an interest in esmoking and is willing to try to help us to get something moving.

I suggested that she register with the forum so we could collaborate here and she is going to do that when she has the time.

I think she might have taken pity on us because I said we were willing and available to try to organise but were clueless about what we needed to do to get research carried out. :oops:

She told me:

"I used to work as a researcher (in many different fields such as drug education, stroke care, end of life care and liver disease) and can therefore possibly offer additional guidance to you, if you would like me to?
I will do some background reading and searching for you and see if I can come up with some possible names or contacts for you in the research field (academics and/or researchers)."

Hopefully she'll find her way here and we can start looking at what we need to do to work towards some meaningful research for esmoking.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
:thumb:

I think there is quite a bit of interest in this, lots of people joined this group and said they were interested after the post on the the main forum went up.

It might be an idea for us to consider what we would like to achieve, just to get a clue so we can determine how to proceed.

My thoughts were that a clinical trial to assess the progress of smokers swapping to esmoking would be good. Physical and psychological changes during the quit and assessment of side effects - are they to do with esmoking or quitting? How effective is esmoking as a smoking cessation technique compared with current NRT?

A medium and long term study of the effects of esmoking without smoking being a factor would also be useful. What are the implications of inhaling propylene glycol, glycerine or flavourings long term. Is nicotine more potent with esmoking?

Are there any health questions you would like answers to? Please post them so we can get some ideas. Thanks.

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Something else to mention - a UK supplier has emailed me to offer support and the possibility of supplying us with hardware if we get some research going.

I'm not going to identify him, he said he'd prefer to stay in the background so I don't know if that means being anonymous. If he wants to make himself known here I for one don't have a problem with him posting and sharing views.

Thanks for the support :)

Denni

ECF Veteran
Sep 3, 2008
UK
denni-schnapp.livejournal.com
Ok, just for the curious, I've checked and it's ok to tell you about the supplier.

It's Simon/Smokester/e-cigs.co.uk. He said he might be able to supply some sample kits for academics or researchers to try out.

:thumb:

It's a shame I don't have any university contacts anymore. I hope we get some academics interested!

Mr.Darcy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 16, 2008
UK
Ok, just for the curious, I've checked and it's ok to tell you about the supplier.

It's Simon/Smokester/e-cigs.co.uk. He said he might be able to supply some sample kits for academics or researchers to try out.
no big surprise there then...most other UK suppliers arent exactly known for their generosity...nice one Simon...

deewal

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2008
In a house.
OK. I thought i would wait until i'd seen my Doctor before i put anything in this thread.
I saw him yesterday to have my blood pressure checked as have high blood pressure and am on medication which i have been taking for about 8 years now.
I stopped smoking Real Cigarettes on the 22nd August when i got my first E-Cig and have not had one since.
A month or so later i had my BP taken by the Nurse and it was lower than it had been since the previous one about a month before.
Yesterday my BP was the same as it normally is which my Doctor said was fine,no problems.
I talked to him specificly about the fact that although i had stopped smoking i was still inhaling Nicotine and i said that i thought Nicotine was one of the main problems with high blood pressure and he replied "not to a great extent" He said as far as he was concerned the the main problem with smoking was exactly that. Smoking and filling my lungs with tar and gunk and stopping my blood flowing properly. He said the Nicotine intake was minimal as far as my blood pressure was concerned.
He said he thought it was remarkable that i had stopped smoking because he said and i quote "If i had been asked to draw up a list of my patients who smoke and asked which of them was the least likely to stop smoking, it would have been you."
He also said that he could allready see a difference in my health as i was no longer retaining water on my ankles and lower legs which was due to poor blood circulation.
His last words where "whatever you are doing, keep it up. You should congratulate yourself"
So. Three months on E-Cig. Clean bill of Health or should i say no adverse signs but to be sure i'm going to have blood tests and urine samples taken next week.
B.T.W Yes i did show him and demonstrate my E-Cig and expressed his surprise that he had not seen one like mine, only the ones that they sell in Boots which he said were useless.

Soot

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2008
Belfast, UK
Thanks for the report Deewal - I was wondering about the relative contribution nicotine made to BP. It makes so much more sense that the cocktail of other poisons would have been the largest contributor - but what do I know!? A doc saying that is heartening (excuse the pun ;)).

Have you seen the pictures they're putting on cigarette packs now? One of my staff showed me his pack earlier this week - a picture of some poor devil with a huge tumour on his throat. I'm not sure if he was still alive.

Enough to give you nightmares!

snowpig

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2009
Springfield MO
I'll also email Kate Cahill at the Cochrane group and introduce our group to her.
Kate, did you ever get a response from Kate Cahill or Lindsay Stead at the Cochrane Collaboration?

With all the reviews on their 'Tobacco Addiction Group' (www .cochrane.org/reviews/en/topics/94_reviews.html), it would seem the PV/E-Cig would fit right in. A search of their website showed no hits for 'electronic cigarette'.

As for medical opinions, my personal physician, optometrist, dental hygienist, and dentist were all extremely interested and supportive when I showed them the PV I have been using since January. They all wanted me to write down contact information so they could research these devices to describe to other patients. Naturally I put this forum on the list!

My hygienist noted that my gums had already started to form new tissue to overcome the gum recession that results from continual smoking, and were much pinker due to increased supply of oxygen. I asked specifically if the nicotine from the PV would cause more or less staining on my teeth, or whether the tobacco smoke was the chief culprit. She stated that staining was chiefly caused by tobacco smoke, not nicotine, and verified that my teeth were less stained than in my previous visits over the last 10 years.

Steve

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
Hi Steve. Kate Cahill said this -

"... I don't know that I can actually be of any great service to you. Our objective is to review all the available research on a specified topic. We do not initiate or participate in primary research, and I think that is your main interest at present..."

Amanda Young of The National Coordinating Centre for Health Technology Assessment (NCCHTA) was going to join us to help us think about getting organised but she didn't turn up unfortunately.

I'm afraid I got sidetracked with other matters and haven't tried to do anything for the last few months about this but if you have the time and energy that would be great.

snowpig

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2009
Springfield MO
Thanks Kate, I might check with Cochrane sometime.

From what I see on their review archive, many of the referenced 'research studies' on smoking cessation are anecdotal or not even well controlled.

Seems any basic study of the smoking-cessation effectiveness of our E-cig vaporizers should easily trounce all the competition.

I'll browse around here on ECF and see what if anything is being done in the area of controlled tobacco cessation trials. Surely something like this has been proposed or completed....

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread