• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

UK research

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowpig

ECF Veteran
Jan 28, 2009
Springfield MO
Hi Kate,

Thank you, I tracked down the Ruyan study on that 'Clinical Trials Research Unit' site:

www .ctru.auckland.ac.nz/images/ctru/pdf/addictions/wired.pdf

Appears a little confusing to me, stating roughly that 'the study aims to test how effectively and rapidly the e-Cigarette relieves the discomfort of withdrawal symptoms compared to a regular cigarette, a nicotine inhaler, and a zero-nic e-Cig'.

But also says "the study ... is not designed to test how effective the e-Cigarette is as an aid to quitting smoking."

Latest update shows February 3, 2009, with the status as "This study has been completed and the data is [sic] undergoing analysis."

Maybe they will publish sometime, but since the trial is sponsored by SBT Holdings they may just keep the information private to use for their own products.

Of interest to me since I am a singer and recording studio owner -- the CTRU has also apparently conducted studies of changes in voice timbre due to quitting smoking:

www .ctru.auckland.ac.nz/images/ctru/pdf/addictions/rasp.pdf

I should have got in on that one, or might still document my own. I have lots of 'before' recordings of me, but so far have not done any 'after' samples since switching from tobacco cigs to PV. Absolutely no question, my voice has shifted up at least an entire octave. On the whole a much nicer acoustic sound, but the old 'whiskey and cigarette growl' cannot be used for effect anymore!

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread