Ultimate Tobacco Journal

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackSam

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2010
NY USA
Seems like this forum is kind of dead, I figure I would start a journal of sorts in my quest for the ultimate tobacco flavor. I really like tobacco flavors but haven't found something I'm completely happy with. My goal is to attain good flavor transfer without ending up with something that's fouling my equipment constantly. Also I really hate all the artificial type flavors, ever since my sense of taste cleared up they're terrible and the more natural alternatives either lack the flavor or foul everything up.

I've already done a few samples with good flavor results with what I had on hand however I'm a methodical type of individual and those were just test runs on a whim type of thing. Flavor transfer has been more than adequate so I'm stepping over from messing around into something more systematic.

Right now I'm finalizing my supplies. I've already gotten almost everything in at this point. Here's a quick rundown.
1ml Pippets with .25 markings
6ml Drip Bottles
Unflavored PG
Unflavored VG
Nicotine juice
1oz sampler packs of random dual purpose (pipe/rolling) tobaccos
Coffee filters
Some small labels for keeping track of everything
Jewelers scale accurate to .01g

My initial testing will be in determining soak times. Right now all I'm waiting on is my scale so I can accurately measure out equal amounts of tobacco as I consider this vital to maintain a constant in my testing. I'll be looking at making some vapable liquid in small amounts which I can use to compare flavor to equipment fouling. Also I'll be looking for the point of diminishing returns in getting the flavor out.

JackSam

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2010
NY USA
Ran accross something on plastic leaching completely by accident: Native Stranger
Currently I have LDPE bottles, which seems to be one of the better choices along with HDPE. Like the poster here I was unable to find anything else related to LDPE leaching. When I run out of my current ones I'll likely be switching to glass. Ultimately it will likely be a savings anyway since I should be able to get all favor out of glass and reuse those indefinitely.

JackSam

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2010
NY USA
Well I won't know the concentration of nicotine at this time. However unlike others who are specifically trying to get nicotine liquid from tobacco my only concern is the flavor which doesn't require lots of tobacco. I would ideally like to have 0 additional nicotine. That's likely not possible but the estimated amount is going to be so minuscule I'm not worried about it now. I may eventually test the nicotine content but it makes no sense to waste the time on it now.

JackSam

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2010
NY USA
Got my scale and was able to set various soaks using an organic additive free tobacco.

Various soak times from hours to days.
aWX7b.jpg

My first 2 I had actually done straight up cut tobacco it was hard to get all the juice out of them easily. Then I realized surface area is my friend so I ground them up into a smaller consistent pieces, more like a powder but not quite as fine.

Last edited:

JackSam

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2010
NY USA
So my initial mix with the few hours soak extract taste was ok, maybe a tad lacking but I'm not happy with the equipment fouling. I need to figure out what causes this.

I'm thinking either solids suspended in the liquid or solubles in the liquid. Solubles would cause a problem for me. Going to try and see if I can isolate any more solids from what I have. Also going to try an Alcohol & Water extract so I can isolate and discard the oils and hopefully transfer the flavors into the alcohol.

heavymetalhero

Jul 8, 2011
NJ, USA
So my initial mix with the few hours soak extract taste was ok, maybe a tad lacking but I'm not happy with the equipment fouling. I need to figure out what causes this.

I'm thinking either solids suspended in the liquid or solubles in the liquid. Solubles would cause a problem for me. Going to try and see if I can isolate any more solids from what I have. Also going to try an Alcohol & Water extract so I can isolate and discard the oils and hopefully transfer the flavors into the alcohol.

I've had exactly the same problem with all the extract tobaccos that I've tried to vape... Actually it's one of the first major problems that I couldn't find the answer to when I was searching the forums, before I registered as a member. I just registered today, I'm new to ECF, but not to vaping, and I really want to hear from other people if they've found a way to vape extract tobaccos without burning the particles of tobacco in the liquid. So far, only one, old, forgotten-about-for-5-months atomizer can do the trick, because it is gunked up and burns really really cool. And the throat hit suffers, but at least it's there, and I can vape all the extract tobaccos that I want and get that awesome fresh tobacco taste.

But, when that atty goes, I might not be able to vape these juices anymore, and they taste SO good... Anyone else have a good solution? I ordered a VV mod that might help if I dial it down to a weak voltage, but I want the throat hit as well, so I'm hoping maybe some carto or dual coil atty might provide better results.

JackSam, good luck with your experimentation! Do tell us if you've come up with a way to make a tobacco-tasting liquid that doesn't burn up so easily on attys, like you said.

Tona Aspsusa

ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2011
Finland
I've had exactly the same problem with all the extract tobaccos that I've tried to vape... Actually it's one of the first major problems that I couldn't find the answer to when I was searching the forums, before I registered as a member. I just registered today, I'm new to ECF, but not to vaping, and I really want to hear from other people if they've found a way to vape extract tobaccos without burning the particles of tobacco in the liquid. So far, only one, old, forgotten-about-for-5-months atomizer can do the trick, because it is gunked up and burns really really cool. And the throat hit suffers, but at least it's there, and I can vape all the extract tobaccos that I want and get that awesome fresh tobacco taste.

But, when that atty goes, I might not be able to vape these juices anymore, and they taste SO good... Anyone else have a good solution? I ordered a VV mod that might help if I dial it down to a weak voltage, but I want the throat hit as well, so I'm hoping maybe some carto or dual coil atty might provide better results.

JackSam, good luck with your experimentation! Do tell us if you've come up with a way to make a tobacco-tasting liquid that doesn't burn up so easily on attys, like you said.

Hmm, I'm rather new to it all, and tried the results of my first impatient extraction yesterday (will update "my" thread in a minute), but your question is a good one.

Since there was *something* in what I managed to get that I liked enough when I dripped it (very diluted), I took a chance and topped up a cartomizer that was almost ripe for at least a thorough wash.

Now your question has me thinking. Maybe a cartomizer wasn't actually such a bad choice for this? Might the filler material in it act as a (very crude) filter, shielding the coil from at least bigger particulates? (I fill them the very very patient way by slowly dripping down the sides)

And could your problem maybe be avoided by having two to four atomizers in rotation, and cleaning them every week?

heavymetalhero

Jul 8, 2011
NJ, USA
Hmm, I'm rather new to it all, and tried the results of my first impatient extraction yesterday (will update "my" thread in a minute), but your question is a good one.

Since there was *something* in what I managed to get that I liked enough when I dripped it (very diluted), I took a chance and topped up a cartomizer that was almost ripe for at least a thorough wash.

Now your question has me thinking. Maybe a cartomizer wasn't actually such a bad choice for this? Might the filler material in it act as a (very crude) filter, shielding the coil from at least bigger particulates? (I fill them the very very patient way by slowly dripping down the sides)

And could your problem maybe be avoided by having two to four atomizers in rotation, and cleaning them every week?

Yeah, I rotate my way through my attys with a cleaning/usage cycle. But I like a hot vape with most juices, I need that throat hit and better flavor. But if I do this with extract liquid, the atty tastes like burnt tobacco after 3 puffs. Only way I can vape them is a cool vape... Standard or High resistance, low-ish voltage, stuff like that.

I, too, thought that the cartos might help filter the particles... I've been dying to try it but I will lose a lot of tasty liquid and a carto if I fail... :) Oh well, here goes. Why not.

heavymetalhero

Jul 8, 2011
NJ, USA
Okay, just filled up an Ikenvape (I think it's standard resistance) cartomizer, with Vaperite's Rou's Toasted Hazelnut Tobaccom 26mg. I've got it on a mega eGo battery. I'm about 5 drags in, and so far, no burning taste! Wow! Did the carto actually filter the stuff to make it easier to vape? I hope this good luck continues! I might try it at 5v but I'm already getting a decent throat hit... And if I burn the stuff, the whole carto will probably taste like ash tray. So I will probably just vape it like this for now... Awesome! Victory! :party:

brokepainter

ECF Veteran
Nov 26, 2011
Bristol, Tn USA
What are you soaking your tobacco in? I have a cigar soaking in pga, it's going on the second day now. And the juice isn't very dark yet, I should have ground the cigar up but I didn't. I hope the alcohol evaporates so I can add pg and make a thick flavor. How much time should I let it soak? And how many times did you filter your juice and what did you use to filter it with? I read that coffee fiters will remove some flavoring but I don't see how. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread