Pipe tobacco and Cigar extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
I made a couple extracts, one from a favorite cigar brand and the other a favorite pipe tobacco blend. For each extract I used about a pipe full of tobacco. Chopped up, put in shot glass and added an equal amount of PG, stuck in the microwave for 4 seconds (thats all it takes) to reach tea steeping temperature. Stirred until cool, then used a spoon to squeeze the juice out of the tobacco still in the shot glass catching the juice in another container. Then I took a Q-tip and sucked the extract through the Q-tip into a pipette, nice and clean.

The Pipe tobacco extract is very very dark as expected. The Cigar extract is a nice gold color.

Alright I tasted my extract recipes. Here are the recipes first:

Pipe Tobacco Essence(Cherry Vanilla)

5% Pipe tobacco extract (cherry vanilla)
3% French Vanilla TFA
5% Honey TFA
2% Flue Cure
10%water
12% 60mg/ml nic/vg base= 10mg/ml (including extract)
63% VG

Heaven Cigar Essence

5% Cigar Extract
5% Honey TFA
5% French Vanilla TFA
3% Flue Cure TFA
2% Hazelnut
5% water
12% 60mg/ml Nic/VG base= 10mg/ml (including extract)
63% VG

Taste test results:

Fresh taste test: The cigar flavor was delicious, tasted just like the cigar it came from, rich aromatic goodness. The pipe tobacco tasted rich but not much flavor, like it was muted.

After steeping a couple days: The pipe tobacco tastes great, very rich and aromatic with hints of vanilla and cherry. Definitely needed steeping. The Cigar recipe tastes a little richer than before but close to when mixed fresh. I will steep some longer to see what happens to the flavors.

What I found surprising was how little tobacco it takes to make extract (one pipe full= 3ml extract) and how little it takes to flavor a juice and how rich it comes through. Even if I mix at 10% I can make 60ml of juice from half of a shot glass of tobacco.

Conclusion:
You have to start with a tobacco you love because the final result will mirror the flavor from the tobacco used. The cigar and pipe tobacco I already had before vaping, and they were flavors I loved.

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
Just got done with another extraction except using VG because I can't handle very much PG. Much thicker to deal with but by popping the nipple off one of 10ml bottles and filling it with the pressed juices, then took a small chunk of cotton and jammed it in the bottom side of the nipple, placed back on and squeezed it through with the cotton filtering all the loose tobacco still in the pressed juice. Best method for filtering thick extract so far.

I extracted another of my favorite brand pipe tobacco. This one was soft vanilla, freshly mixed tastes aromatic, rich and slightly earthy. Will taste more when steeped.

Something I have noticed is that 5-10% is all that is needed of extract. Adding more doesn't make it much stronger, so regular flavoring percentages add all the flavor you need especially after steeping.

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
It seems that pipe tobacco even though it tastes good as an extract is a too thick even at 5% recipes. Made the atty I just rebuilt a little sluggish. Probably the additives plus the fermentation process.

The cigar extract on the other hand seems great, isn't thick at all and is a nice clear gold color. Vapes clean like other juice recipes.

Something I tried and will do again is a cold extraction. It's a good way to extract flavor without getting much nic or tobacco alkaloids.

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
Tried cold extraction using VG this time, not as effective as PG. Cold extracting is just mixing PG/VG with the tobacco, stirring then straining. The PG turned out a light gold color, but the VG came out almost clear without much flavor (pic).

A great method I found for filtering extract: I used a oral syringe, pulled the push rod out, took a small piece of cotton and shoved it inside the syringe tube down where juice would exit. Then poured the tobacco and PG/VG into the tube, placed plunger back and squeezed almost all the PG/VG out of the tobacco while the cotton filters everything.

Attachments

• 01 cut paste resize.JPG
    01 cut paste resize.JPG
    15.9 KB · Views: 333
  • 0 (6).jpg
    0 (6).jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 330
  • 0 (8).jpg
    0 (8).jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 304

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
Thank you for these posts, I will have to try this soon myself...i have never tried to extract anything before so it should be fun, even if i mess up lol.

You're welcome, glad someone found it interesting lol.

My final conclusion with PG/VG extraction methods:

My first conclusion is that PG is easier to work with and works a lot better for cold extraction.

My second conclusion is alcohol works the best for extracting everything, but it works so well it extracts molecules/compounds that aren't soluble in PG/VG. So if you do use alcohol for extraction you will have to use alcohol in place of water in your recipes.

My third conclusion is there were 2 methods that tasted and worked the best. Hot extraction, which only takes 4 seconds in the microwave and you can make extract very quickly. The other method is steeping cold extraction, chopping up the tobacco mixing with PG/VG and letting it steep for 2 weeks, but both methods produced similar extracts.

My fourth conclusion is the best way I used to separate/filter the extract from the tobacco was the syringe method I mentioned above. If you are trying to make bigger batches of extract you can also use an e-liquid bottle as the same method. Fill your bottle with the PG/VG and tobacco, pop the nipple off the e-liquid bottle stuff a small chunk of cotton in the inside of the nipple and snap it back on and hold upside down squeeze (same idea as the syringe method, but this way you can a 10ml/30ml/50ml bottle).

My fifth conclusion is a little extract can go a long ways. One cigar can easily make enough extract to mix at least 100ml of e-juice. Also adding more extract wont make it better, 5-10% is sufficient.

Matt M

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
Chester, UK
Just tried the hot and cold extraction methods. The hot (warm) method was preferred for instant results. I like the idea of the cold extraction though; any way to reduce the bad aspects of the tobacco getting into my extract is good with me. I'm only going off gut feeling but I suspect the cold method will be better for this. How long should I leave it before straining/using?

I'm going to try the hot extract almost straight away, so will report back on results. Mine came out kinda cloudy and a light honey colour. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355228551.903059.jpg

The syringe filter method worked a treat! Thanks for the tip :) the compacted tobacco was easy to get out too. Just remove the plunger and blow into the needle end, the plug of tobacco will shoot right out the open end :)

Matt M

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
Chester, UK
Ps. I used about a fingers width of tobacco cut from a Vega Palmera Robusto cigar. I know nothing about cigars so can't comment on the quality. I got them as a gift from a friend who visited the Canary Islands. I used about 15ml of PG, just enough to cover the tobacco. I'll try VG next time as I prefer it. I was just using up some PG I had leftover.

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
Oh sorry My subscription thingy didn't show you're first post for some reason.

The syringe method really is the best way to go, just about gets all the extract out. Other methods i tried ended up with alot of time and only 30-40 juice extraction.

Nice gold color, that's what you want, a nice clean extraction. Depending if you like that type of cigar it should be good.

With the cold extraction I just mixed it with pg let sit overnight and it came out pretty good. I have had some dominican cigar/pg sitting for the last 2 weeks in a cold extraction as others swear by it. Should be 2 weeks within the net couple days. I'll post how it goes!

As with VG I would prefer it too, but for some reason pg extracts easier, probably less viscosity. Havn't tried the 2 week method with vg maybe it just takes more time.

Let me know how the flavor is!

Matt M

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
Chester, UK
Half a shot glass of chopped up cigar needed about 10-15ml of PG to cover it. After filtering, I had about 10ml of extract left. Since you said you were getting 3ml of extract from a pipe full, I thought that mine would taste a bit weak in comparison. So mixed up a 3ml sample batch using the extract at 25%. But it's clogged up my coils really fast and now tastes burnt. Maybe more filtering is required. I'll try re-filtering a couple more times, and then try another sample at 5-10%. It tasted just like the cigar before the coil started getting clogged. But I can't be changing coils every few hours, so I need a re-think.

How much PG did you put on the tobacco? I needed at least 10ml to get it wet enough, and even then you cant see any liquid. It's just a sticky tobacco mess.

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
Half a shot glass of chopped up cigar needed about 10-15ml of PG to cover it. After filtering, I had about 10ml of extract left. Since you said you were getting 3ml of extract from a pipe full, I thought that mine would taste a bit weak in comparison. So mixed up a 3ml sample batch using the extract at 25%. But it's clogged up my coils really fast and now tastes burnt. Maybe more filtering is required. I'll try re-filtering a couple more times, and then try another sample at 5-10%. It tasted just like the cigar before the coil started getting clogged. But I can't be changing coils every few hours, so I need a re-think.

How much PG did you put on the tobacco? I needed at least 10ml to get it wet enough, and even then you cant see any liquid. It's just a sticky tobacco mess.

Real pipe tobacco extract is like that lol. Real pipe tobacco has been fermented and has sticky additives to give it flavor, it does clog up an attie about 4 times faster than normal. Tastes darn good with a fresh wick/coil though. Try mixing 5% extract, that's all it takes for that flavor and adding more doesn't make it a stronger flavor ironically, and wont clog your attie so fast.

I have a theory, the least fermented tobacco with the least amount of additives produces the cleanest extract. That's why my Dominican cigar came out so clean and light gold yet with lots of flavor and doesn't mess with atties.

I never measured how much pg/vg I used. Always just used an equal amount of pg to tobacco, about 40% tobacco 60% PG.

Can't wait to see what your cigar extract taste like. I used my absolute favorite cigar I used to smoke, then mixed up an ADV recipe (All Day Vape). Took the label that came off the cigar to label my juice, looks kinda kool.

Attachments

• 0 (6).jpg
    0 (6).jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 243

Matt M

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
Chester, UK
Both my hot and cold extractions are made from chopped up cigar. No pipe tobacco here.

I bet pure untouched tobacco leaf would produce a nice clean extract. I'll re-filter it and try another batch with a much lower flavour percentage.

I assumed you'd used a lot less PG/VG in your extraction than me cos you said you got 3ml of extract from a half shot glass of tobacco. I got 10ml from the same amount and I only just used enough PG to cover the tobacco.

Reactions: werle

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
Both my hot and cold extractions are made from chopped up cigar. No pipe tobacco here.

I bet pure untouched tobacco leaf would produce a nice clean extract. I'll re-filter it and try another batch with a much lower flavour percentage.

I assumed you'd used a lot less PG/VG in your extraction than me cos you said you got 3ml of extract from a half shot glass of tobacco. I got 10ml from the same amount and I only just used enough PG to cover the tobacco.

Actually the 3 ml ones were before I figured out how to press all the extract out of the tobacco. I have a 60 ml batch steeping that was made with the half of shot glass method and it turned out great so I must of gotten 10 ml out of that one. I basically added enough pg to the tobacco to make it wet, where it just starts to look liquid almost because I can't handle too much pg so I wanted to make sure it was more potent which seemed to work.

Oh and btw what type of atty are you using? What kind of wick? What kind of cigar did you use and what color, is it rich?

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
Well I squeezed out the extract from my 2 week cold steep Dominican cigar, got more than 10ml of brown extract from about 2 inches of cigar. Not sure there is much difference between the 5 minute hot steep and the 2 week cold steep extracts.

Mixed up one of my favorite recipes I posted in my wizard labs thread here. http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/e-liquid-recipes/352306-wizard-labs-fans-recipes-only-5.html#post8053725

Something I noticed that should help others thinking of trying the same. Don't add more than 10-15% extract to a mix, it doesn't take much to add that flavor you want.

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
Any update on your 2 week cold extraction?

Yeah I'm still vaping on the large batch I mixed, probably around 60-70ml batch. The cold steep long term method seems to work well but I could not tell a difference between the instant hot steep. Five seconds in the microwave = 2 weeks of cold steep ( 5 seconds so it doesn't boil or burn).

I will say this, find a tobacco you love to start with. The extract will taste like the tobacco, so if you use a cigar you don't really like the extract will be the same. Also try using a clean tobacco, that isn't fermented much (light brown tan color). The darker black tobaccos that have been fermented can produce a thick sludge like extract which can taste good but clogs up atties fast.

Other than that my cigar extract recipe is one of the best juices I have made or tasted. It's been steeping for over 2 months, came out a nice rich tobacco flavor with carmel and vanilla under tones. I will definitely do it again when i run out on this last batch.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Yeah I'm still vaping on the large batch I mixed, probably around 60-70ml batch. The cold steep long term method seems to work well but I could not tell a difference between the instant hot steep. Five seconds in the microwave = 2 weeks of cold steep ( 5 seconds so it doesn't boil or burn).

I will say this, find a tobacco you love to start with. The extract will taste like the tobacco, so if you use a cigar you don't really like the extract will be the same. Also try using a clean tobacco, that isn't fermented much (light brown tan color). The darker black tobaccos that have been fermented can produce a thick sludge like extract which can taste good but clogs up atties fast.

Other than that my cigar extract recipe is one of the best juices I have made or tasted. It's been steeping for over 2 months, came out a nice rich tobacco flavor with carmel and vanilla under tones. I will definitely do it again when i run out on this last batch.

Glad there is mention here of fermented tobaccos. Another side issue with fermentation of tobacco is it increases the carcinogens (TSNAs). Given that we are not getting significant nicotine from these essences, the TSNA level probably also low, but it is the one thing I have issue with my pipe tobacco essence. Would be a much more pleasurable vape if thoughts of TSNAs were not in the back of my mind.

Along these lines, some have made essence from Swedish snus tobacco, which is pasteurized, not fermented, and is very low in TSNAs.

Merlin21

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 19, 2012
Northern New Jersey
Hey guys! Going to give extracting a shot thanks to your recommendations. Hopefully I can nail it. Do you chop up the wrapper as well?

I noticed light brown cigars are better. Going to hit the local J&R Cigar shop and see what kind of flavors I can find. Really would like a heavy vanilla one.... Have you guys come across any you could steer me too?

Love DIY and this could possibly add to the arsenal.

Thanks

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
Hey guys! Going to give extracting a shot thanks to your recommendations. Hopefully I can nail it. Do you chop up the wrapper as well?

I noticed light brown cigars are better. Going to hit the local J&R Cigar shop and see what kind of flavors I can find. Really would like a heavy vanilla one.... Have you guys come across any you could steer me too?

Love DIY and this could possibly add to the arsenal.

Thanks

Just make sure you use a cigar you really like. Try a cheaper dominican cigar if you can find one, the best cigars to me come from the dominican republic. Light brown cigars are better because they haven'y been fermented as much as darker ones. A long fermentation of dark tobaccos can really gunk up an atty fast. I chopped up the wrapper with it as it is tobacco just a big leaf, and that's where most of the flavoring is on flavored cigars. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread