Pipe tobacco and Cigar extraction

Status
Not open for further replies.

usr/

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
N. Alabama
How do the flavors in the Tatiana cigars go as they steep long term? Do they lose their flavors over time?

Here's another place but they couldn't accept my credit card :facepalm:
Tatiana

I've done 3 of the Tatiana Flavored back at the first of October. Rum, Cognac, and Fuzion Frenzy. Actually vaping Fuzion Frenzy right now in a kayfun mini. I have to say all three have been very good flavor wise. I have noticed the Rum and Cognac cigar note has faded a little, but not in a bad way. The cigar note is still there but seems to have changed to more of a mild tobacco, the casing is still dominate. Haven't steeped the FF long enough to know. These were extracted with heat assist and cold soak. These three I did at 150f for 12 hours and cold soak for about three weeks. Now the Night Cap I just finished filtering is completely different. Did a heat assist and cold soak also but 150f for 36 hours and one month cold soak. The sample I mixed up a couple days ago ( 15% extract 60/40 12mg/ml) was very strong cigar note with a chocolate, flavor and a little hint of coffee maybe, not really getting any almond or vanilla, yet. Vaped all day on Sunday in the Russian and enjoyed every minute of it. Yesterday changed to EV Pure Burley I had from a few months ago (pretty good stuff). I picked up the Night Cap again this evening on the way home and it has changed noticeably in a couple of days. Don't know if it was from just setting in the tank or if it was starting to gunk a little. It was fine when I put it down Sunday night. Going to mix up 60 ml or so and let it age a little. Been very pleased with them so far. Just have to let them age some more.

puro

ECF Veteran
Jul 6, 2012
Tucson AZ
I took my first foray into vacuum filtering using the discussions here. I had about 50ml of cigar NET remaining that I made using Kurt's flash extraction about a year ago. I took the advice here and just got the flask, Buchner funnel (70 cm), filters and gasket -- but bought the hand pump from harbor freight. The NETs I have made in the past have been filtered with cheese cloth and then cotton balls in a large syringe. Yesterday I did two more passes. The first with 25um paper and then through 8um paper. The harbor freight pump will only do 23 inHg despite it stating that it will pull 30. 23 was enough. The NET was made with 100% VG and I filtered it at room temp. The setup worked well, but in the end, the filters didn't pick up much more than the cotton balls got. The NET is only slightly lighter than when it started. Not sure it's worth the trouble and expense to do these last extra steps. JMHO.

I also bought some commercial NET eliquids just to see how well the NET ejuice I've been making compares. Mine is just as good if not better--better only because of my additives I suspect. My NET recipe is simple. Nic to make 8mg/ml of finished product. 8 drops of NET, 6 drops of peach flavoring, 2ml of EM mixture (I also make). Then fill 70% of vial with PG, mix well, top off with VG to fill the 30 ml vial and shake it all together. I try other flavors but always come back to this. Peach and tobacco just go really well together.

I've tried the cotton wicks in Kayfuns as well as trying sub ohm dripping stuff, but the best vapes come from my Zen attys running a single SS wick, wrap 32 ga Kanthal to make ~ 2ohm wick and vape with regulation at about 8-10 W. I prefer the higher resistance wraps so when the atty fires you hear a fine hiss rather than the crackle pop of the heavy wire and lots of power. The resulting vape is very smooth and flavor is excellent. Every cotton wick I have tried still has a slight cartomizer taste which I hate.

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
dustysfoodieadventures.blogspot.ca

yourgurnard

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
London
WHAT A Thread!!!
Thanks to ALL Posters (Read all 41 Pages Over the Last 2 Eves..)
It's Great to See So Much Interest in NETs Here........Have n't Found That Much on UK Forums.....This is Why I've Signed Up!
It Was Finding the House of Liquid's Juices (Still Pretty Much All That's Easily Available Here..) That Got Me Interested in Trying My Own Extractions.....Which in Turn Got Me From a Residual 1 Roll Up/Day (That 'Christ! it-CAN'T-Be-Morning-Already-What's-My-Name-&-Why?' Breakfast Smoke..) To None! This Was Covering Some of My RYO Baccy in VG, (Now Use PG For Concentrates), Heating Jar in Saucepan of Water on Stove & Filtering Off the Juice; Mixing Up a 50/50 24mg. Liquid.
I've Since Made Up Tinctures From Tobacco Leaf (Red/Smooth Virginians; Dominican; Colombian; Havana; Burley..) & One From Some Old Filippino Sumatras That I Did n't Know I Still Had!
Anyway!.....What I've Read on Here Takes it all into a Different Ball Park & I'll Def. Be Trying a Few of the Tips....esp. Re. Finer Filtration (Want Some Longevity From My Coils/Wicks!!)
Thanks Again!

Oh.....No Posts in >2Wks?....Everyone Defected to FaceAche? Or Have All the Steeps Matured at the Same Time? :)

pps:- I've Only Just Realised That There's a WHOLE SUB-FORUM Devoted to 'Liquid Extraction From Tobacco'
Doh!!!

Last edited:

Smocian257

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2014
Green Valley, Arizona
WHAT A Thread!!!
Thanks to ALL Posters (Read all 41 Pages Over the Last 2 Eves..)
It's Great to See So Much Interest in NETs Here........Have n't Found That Much on UK Forums.....This is Why I've Signed Up!
It Was Finding the House of Liquid's Juices (Still Pretty Much All That's Easily Available Here..) That Got Me Interested in Trying My Own Extractions.....Which in Turn Got Me From a Residual 1 Roll Up/Day (That 'Christ! it-CAN'T-Be-Morning-Already-What's-My-Name-&-Why?' Breakfast Smoke..) To None! This Was Covering Some of My RYO Baccy in VG, (Now Use PG For Concentrates), Heating Jar in Saucepan of Water on Stove & Filtering Off the Juice; Mixing Up a 50/50 24mg. Liquid.
I've Since Made Up Tinctures From Tobacco Leaf (Red/Smooth Virginians; Dominican; Colombian; Havana; Burley..) & One From Some Old Filippino Sumatras That I Did n't Know I Still Had!
Anyway!.....What I've Read on Here Takes it all into a Different Ball Park & I'll Def. Be Trying a Few of the Tips....esp. Re. Finer Filtration (Want Some Longevity From My Coils/Wicks!!)
Thanks Again!

Oh.....No Posts in >2Wks?....Everyone Defected to FaceAche? Or Have All the Steeps Matured at the Same Time? :)

pps:- I've Only Just Realised That There's a WHOLE SUB-FORUM Devoted to 'Liquid Extraction From Tobacco'
Doh!!!
Real good results from ibdividually extracting blensing tobaccos and then mixing myself. So maybe 70% xyz burley from cornel and diehl with a touch of blenders perique and a few different blenders virginias.

Extract them seperately and then mix the concentrates to flavor.

So , i found dunhill early morning was perfect right off the bat but the nightcap required some steeping before it really shined. However , mixing my own pipe blend with a latakia edge to it i get a great vape from the get go every time.

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
No Posts in >2Wks?....Everyone Defected to FaceAche? Or Have All the Steeps Matured at the Same Time? :)

I haven't posted in awhile because I did 50 homemade tobacco extractions---cig/RYO, pipe blends, and cigars---in 2013-2014, and my stock of extracts (my own and a large number of swaps with home extractor compatriots) is enough to last me many years. I simply haven't done a batch of extractions in five months and am not particularly motivated to do so. As a result, I just don't have much to say or offer. I assume, however, that other people will step up, like yourself.

boomerdude

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Hey Bill. I'm decanting my last batch this weekend. Old Joe Krantz, Cinnamon Delight, Molto Dolce, Vermont Meat Candy and Tatiana Night Cap and Waking Dream. That is all I have room for and I'll have to remove some if I want to make room for any new extracts. Ninety and counting.

I haven't posted in awhile because I did 50 homemade tobacco extractions---cig/RYO, pipe blends, and cigars---in 2013-2014, and my stock of extracts (my own and a large number of swaps with home extractor compatriots) is enough to last me many years. I simply haven't done a batch of extractions in five months and am not particularly motivated to do so. As a result, I just don't have much to say or offer. I assume, however, that other people will step up, like yourself.

Smocian257

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2014
Green Valley, Arizona
Hey Bill. I'm decanting my last batch this weekend. Old Joe Krantz, Cinnamon Delight, Molto Dolce, Vermont Meat Candy and Tatiana Night Cap and Waking Dream. That is all I have room for and I'll have to remove some if I want to make room for any new extracts. Ninety and counting.
That molto dolce smells heavenly fresh out of the tin , let us know your take. I just got mine filterd down last week but havent gotten into it yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

yourgurnard

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2015
London

I Think I've Read Every One of Your Posts M8!...Inspiring!
Don't Look To Me to Develop Your Sterling Work Tho'! (Gulp!)

Smocian257

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2014
Green Valley, Arizona
Finally got around to the justforhim batch, mostly aromatics but I decided to start off with one of the tobacco blends. "Old Tobys stash" (not to be confused with the tolkien inspired blend "old toby") - from tobacco cellar

"Old Toby's Stash is a custom, premium blend that encompasses eight different leaves. From Dark Black Cavendish, Burley, Golden Virginias and Golden Cavendish, this blend is a true aromatic treat.

The flavor is rich with Blueberries, Raspberries, Vanilla and Caramel. The tobacco is full of flavor and the room aroma is like no other. After smoking, this will leave the room smelling like fresh muffins."

Working great as a stand alone pre blended mix to NET. the tobaccos play nicely together and give me a smooth base, out of the aromatics nothing is coming to the forefront except some sweetness from the caramel on inhale, you do have a "fresh muffin" taste on exhale when the vanilla comes out to play. As a NET (and apparently doing it the way I did it) the rasberry and blueberry are not immediately apparent but it works out fine.

A great choice for anyone wanting to try an aromatic without being overwhelmed with sweetness.

Kingboomer

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2013
Commerce City, CO
Finally got around to the justforhim batch, mostly aromatics but I decided to start off with one of the tobacco blends. "Old Tobys stash" (not to be confused with the tolkien inspired blend "old toby") - from tobacco cellar

"Old Toby's Stash is a custom, premium blend that encompasses eight different leaves. From Dark Black Cavendish, Burley, Golden Virginias and Golden Cavendish, this blend is a true aromatic treat.

The flavor is rich with Blueberries, Raspberries, Vanilla and Caramel. The tobacco is full of flavor and the room aroma is like no other. After smoking, this will leave the room smelling like fresh muffins."

Working great as a stand alone pre blended mix to NET. the tobaccos play nicely together and give me a smooth base, out of the aromatics nothing is coming to the forefront except some sweetness from the caramel on inhale, you do have a "fresh muffin" taste on exhale when the vanilla comes out to play. As a NET (and apparently doing it the way I did it) the rasberry and blueberry are not immediately apparent but it works out fine.

A great choice for anyone wanting to try an aromatic without being overwhelmed with sweetness.

Man that sounds tasty! I'll have to get my hands on some of that very soon...

-Kingboomer

Smocian257

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2014
Green Valley, Arizona
Smoothing out aromatics. So i jave recently filterd down "molto dulce" and "bachanallia" both good but missing a strength somewhat. From 6 to 8 to 10 to 12% concentrate the aromatic notes were present but muted / muddied.

Solution : 5% black cavendish (by itself unvapeable) , this is the black cav which already had a hint of vanilla which obviousoy plays well with the primary mixes but i have aome unsweetend black cav on my wishlist and expect similar results.

Granted since i use the same heating times regarsless of leaf it might have just been a failure on my end but the result is a strong tobacco base with much clearer aromatic notes.

I suspect burleys need to be macerated in a different manner than virginias or a cav or an aromatic etc etc but havent done a test yet (i settled on my rotation of 3 to 5 with taste tests along the way by just comparing 3 pre blended mixes)

usr/

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
N. Alabama
Hey fellow extractors, Had a question about dark fired Kentucky. Got a notice a few days ago from p&c Orlik release of Dark Fired Kentucky. It's already on back order. Being a big fan of Orlik,(Golden Sliced and Golden Mixture) was just wondering if fired Kentucky was similar to Latakia in campfire smokiness or was there substantial differences in taste. Read a few reviews that it was similar. I don't really want to make another Latakia type extract, I have more than enough of that for now. Just wanted some opinions on it if anyone has extracted it or blended with it, what your thoughts were on it.

tia

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
Hey fellow extractors, Had a question about dark fired Kentucky. Got a notice a few days ago from p&c Orlik release of Dark Fired Kentucky. It's already on back order. Being a big fan of Orlik,(Golden Sliced and Golden Mixture) was just wondering if fired Kentucky was similar to Latakia in campfire smokiness or was there substantial differences in taste. Read a few reviews that it was similar. I don't really want to make another Latakia type extract, I have more than enough of that for now. Just wanted some opinions on it if anyone has extracted it or blended with it, what your thoughts were on it.

tia

It's been some time ago but I extracted Peter Stokkebye's 314 Dark Fired which is 100% Dark Fired Kentucky. If I remember correctly it was very similar to Latakia in smoky campfire fashion but more intense with an additional straw/hay note that I didn't find appealing. If you like Latakia heavy mixes, you might should try it. Orlik's Dark Fired Kentucky could provide a vastly different flavor profile, never know till you've tried it.

usr/

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
N. Alabama
It's been some time ago but I extracted Peter Stokkebye's 314 Dark Fired which is 100% Dark Fired Kentucky. If I remember correctly it was very similar to Latakia in smoky campfire fashion but more intense with an additional straw/hay note that I didn't find appealing. If you like Latakia heavy mixes, you might should try it. Orlik's Dark Fired Kentucky could provide a vastly different flavor profile, never know till you've tried it.

I thought that may be the case after reading a few reviews. I may give it a go. I'm slow trying to migrate towards your process of two stage extraction. Do you find or notice any oxidation issues when evaporating water and pga from your extracts. The reason I ask is that when I fixed that Robert McConnell Perique (heat assist and cold soak) extract that went foul with ammonia, it was exposed to a lot of air and was decanted to allow the ammonia to gas off for a week or so and now seems kind of dingy, (not sure that's the right word, because it's pretty clear but the flavor just seems off) and flat, compared to the second Perique extract I did with McClellands Blending Perique (6 weeks cold soak), it turned out great. I'm sure that first Perique fail was just sub par tobacco though. It was nasty from the beginning. It just seems like exposing the extract to a lot of air may be an issue. Anyway thanks again!

Smocian257

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2014
Green Valley, Arizona

tia
Not that one but the kendal kentucky which reads "dark fired kentucky leaf" (its a burley) , not smokey at all , thr eay they smoke it its more akin to smoked meats than a campfire much less pungest and very different. Search for "maksymowicz 1997" for a detailed description of the process , its cured under very humid and well ventilated conditions and non inundated with smoke like latakia.

usr/

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2013
N. Alabama
Not that one but the kendal kentucky which reads "dark fired kentucky leaf" (its a burley) , not smokey at all , thr eay they smoke it its more akin to smoked meats than a campfire much less pungest and very different. Search for "maksymowicz 1997" for a detailed description of the process , its cured under very humid and well ventilated conditions and non inundated with smoke like latakia.

Hey, thanks for that kps, i'll do a little more dd on that. Just looking to change it up a little. May be good for blending up some thing different.

Str8vision

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2013
Sallisaw, Oklahoma USA
So far I haven't experienced any negative effects that I would attribute to open air evaporation of PGA or water, but you know how subjective taste is when it comes to vaping. I have noticed that certain tobacco blends extract better using a specific solvent and extraction method. I'm intrigued by the difference casing/curing makes in how a specific tobacco type will taste as an extracted flavor. I'm of the belief that curing and casing(s) contribute more to the extracted flavor than does the type/strain of tobacco itself. That's one of the reasons I like to try so many different brands of essentially similar tobacco blends, they all taste vastly different from one another. Perique is a good example, an extract from McClelland's Blending Perique tastes nothing like one made from Peter Stokkebye's 311 Perique.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread