Unbearable side effects - help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monica_dr

Nov 9, 2018
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Hi everyone,

About a month and a half ago I decided to quit my 2pack/day habit (for 25 years). I started with an ego aio and quickly transitioned to a Vaporesso Veco with a 0.4 coil. In two weeks I gave up the stinkies. Success! I was completely in love. But... Not quite.

I've had several intense reactions to it several times. In the beginning I had bouts of dizziness that passed quickly. Thought I might be nicsick but this happened even after several hours without any nicotine. It went away and I thought all was well until I started feeling short of breath and as if my throat was swollen. All the time. Not a lot, but enough for it to be uncomfortable, and more so when vaping. Also started to feel an intense pressure around my sinuses - had to put the vape down immediately when this happend as it was strong. This was all at 6mg/ml. Initially I thought it could be the PG, but then realised that the same 70/30 PG- containing liquids I used affected me more or less depending on the flavour. So I stuck to the flavours which gave me the least reaction and kept going. Tobacco ones felt particularly bad.

A few weeks in, the throat feeling went away but I did get a couple of itchy spots on my body. Nothing major, or even highly visible, but there nonetheless. And boy were they itchy. Still feeling short of breath. About a week ago I took a couple of puffs after a while without vaping before getting in the car and had a feeling of INTENSE pressure on top of my head. MASSIVE. As if someone/something was pushing me down. Hard. Scared the c*** out of me. But, it went away in about 20 minutes. Two nights ago I finished teaching (hadn't vaped in two hours), took a few puffs and got in the car. Pressure on top of the head came back, MASSIVELY. In a "I'm going to collapse" kind of way. Thank god I wasn't driving. This time it took about 30 minutes to disappear completely. I kept thinking I shouldn't blame it on the vape, it's probably something else, etc. But when I took a single puff 40 minutes later, it came rushing back and it was so bad I ran to unlock the front door in case I passed out. Scary as hell.

I haven't touched my vape in 36 hours, all the symptoms are gone, and I'm back on the stinkies. And sooooo sad. I love vaping. Love not smoking. Love everything about it. I'm quite frankly inconsolable. Just really sad. :(

Any ideas as to what the heck could be going on? Thank you!!

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Monica_dr

Nov 9, 2018
Sao Paulo, Brazil
Thank you all for your replies. I'm certainly aware you're not doctors, which is exactly why I'm here instead of my doctor's office. As I have no health issues, my doctor will merely say, if vaping makes you feel horrible and you feel fine when not vaping, don't vape. Experienced vapers will have a lot more to say about vaping side effects!

I did try everything from 70%PG to 80%VG, haven't tried max VG yet as I'm in Brazil and it's damn hard to get it here. Did try different brands. Initially it seemed like some flavours were okay, but in the end they all gave me reactions.

To me the oddest thing is having such strong reactions at times and being absolutely fine at other times. That's just weird. I did do a lot of research on PG reactions as it seems to be fairly common, but the only thing I found in common with my symptoms was the itching as Cool Breeze mentioned. Slightly dry skin too. But no itchy/scratchy/sore throat and no coughing.

I did notice I tended to get much stronger reactions when vaping after a while without it, but at this point I'm clueless!

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Thank you all for your replies. I'm certainly aware you're not doctors, which is exactly why I'm here instead of my doctor's office. As I have no health issues, my doctor will merely say, if vaping makes you feel horrible and you feel fine when not vaping, don't vape. Experienced vapers will have a lot more to say about vaping side effects!

I did try everything from 70%PG to 80%VG, haven't tried max VG yet as I'm in Brazil and it's damn hard to get it here. Did try different brands. Initially it seemed like some flavours were okay, but in the end they all gave me reactions.

To me the oddest thing is having such strong reactions at times and being absolutely fine at other times. That's just weird. I did do a lot of research on PG reactions as it seems to be fairly common, but the only thing I found in common with my symptoms was the itching as Cool Breeze mentioned. Slightly dry skin too. But no itchy/scratchy/sore throat and no coughing.

I did notice I tended to get much stronger reactions when vaping after a while without it, but at this point I'm clueless!
    VG is available at Pharmacies and many retail stores.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Such strong adverse reactions attributed to vaping and disappearing when not vaping seems to point to a logical approach -- stop vaping.

Not what you were hoping for I'm sure. Should you wish to try to continue to vape since its keeping you off of the smokes, you should systematically eliminate the possible causes. Try a 100% Vg e-liquid. Keep track of which flavorings lead to side effects.

In the end, I feel obligated to encourage you to let your physician know what's going on. Explain that vaping allowed you to quit smoking. He may well advise you to quit vaping and suggest that you try nicotine gum or patches, or prescription drugs like Chantix, since you have been off of cigarettes successfully for a period of time.

I wish you luck and hope you find a solution that works for you. :)

tailland

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 11, 2018
    Germany
    Allergic reactions can take many (scary) forms. Not everything is settled with a drooling nose.

Test run:
    1. Return to your Ego AIO.
    2. VG100 without flavors and no nic (pharmacy)

That's the most non-critical setup I can think of. If that doesn't give you problems, you can work your way up.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    safe distance from a black hole
    I had a few problems after a while of vaping.
    Rashes on my forehead, cheeks and under my nose. Sinus's were painful, numbness down the side of my face and I just felt really out of sorts. All sorts of different things going on.
    I went through a process of elimination. I tried vaping just VG and nothing else and that worked fine, no problems.
    I added PG and things started going bad again even as I reduced the amount of PG until there was only about 2% and I seemed to be ok with it so long as I vaped less and at lower watts.
    I tried a few PG free flavourings and once again I suffered with sinus problems and rashes.
    I settled on a mix thats simple to make and very cheap. VG/nicotine in a VG base/Distilled water @ 10-12%
    No adverse reaction what so ever, a bit boring if you want bubble gum and lolly flavours.
    Ive actually gotten to the point where I enjoy the mix over flavours I try. I have found some flavours I can vape but after a day vaping them Im happy to go back to my unflavoured juice.
    Hope you find your way through this and if vaping doesnt work out something else does help you stay off the cigarettes

leftyandsparky

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 22, 2015
    Somewhere in the South
    Rashes on my forehead, cheeks and under my nose. Sinus's were painful, numbness down the side of my face and I just felt really out of sorts. All sorts of different things going on.
    I went through a process of elimination. I tried vaping just VG and nothing else and that worked fine, no problems.
    I added PG and things started going bad again even as I reduced the amount of PG until there was only about 2% and I seemed to be ok with it so long as I vaped less and at lower watts.
    I tried a few PG free flavourings and once again I suffered with sinus problems and rashes.
    I settled on a mix thats simple to make and very cheap. VG/nicotine in a VG base/Distilled water @ 10-12%
    No adverse reaction what so ever, a bit boring if you want bubble gum and lolly flavours.
    Ive actually gotten to the point where I enjoy the mix over flavours I try. I have found some flavours I can vape but after a day vaping them Im happy to go back to my unflavoured juice.
    Hope you find your way through this and if vaping doesnt work out something else does help you stay off the cigarettes
    Same here, that’s why I mainly vape menthol. I do not have a reaction to real flavors vg line of flavors, I’m currently enjoying menthol with watermelon from RF.

Tim Wiseman

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 29, 2017
    Bolton, England
    Allergic reactions can take many (scary) forms. Not everything is settled with a drooling nose.

Test run:
    1. Return to your Ego AIO.
    2. VG100 without flavors and no nic (pharmacy)

That's the most non-critical setup I can think of. If that doesn't give you problems, you can work your way up.
    Very good advice apart from using 100%VG with Ego AIO, it won't wick.

tailland

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 11, 2018
    Germany
    Very good advice apart from using 100%VG with Ego AIO, it won't wick.
    It does with 80/20. At least, the 0.5ohm DL coils do. So it's worth a try. And to be on the safe side, the VG can always be diluted with distilled water (instead of PG).

I remember having similiar allergic reactions to substances (not related to vaping); short and quite hefty reactions, including things like super itchy episodes, and the feeling of being on the edge of passing out. That stuff can be quite scary, but then, after 20 mins or so it's usually gone. These various symptoms described by OP remind me very much of these events.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    ... Also started to feel an intense pressure around my sinuses - had to put the vape down immediately when this happend as it was strong. This was all at 6mg/ml. Initially I thought it could be the PG, but then realised that the same 70/30 PG- containing liquids I used affected me more or less depending on the flavour. So I stuck to the flavours which gave me the least reaction and kept going. Tobacco ones felt particularly bad.

Hi Monica_dr. Welcome to the ECF.

I have read where some people have said that they have Side Effects from certain Flavorings/Sweeteners. I would suggest trying Unflavored in 6mg/ml and also 3mg/ml and see it that works Better for you.

And Don't Kick yourself to much for going back to Cigarettes.

BTW - How Much Water do you drink on an Average Day?

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 10, 2011
    Kentucky

My move away from PG took care of my dry skin problems. Going flavorless got rid of my sinus drainage. Flavorless has also been known to cure shineyitis...but you didn't hear that here.

Hi Monica_dr. Welcome to the ECF.

I have read where some people have said that they have Side Effects from certain Flavorings/Sweeteners. I would suggest trying Unflavored in 6mg/ml and also 3mg/ml and see it that works Better for you.

And Don't Kick yourself to much for going back to Cigarettes.

BTW - How Much Water do you drink on an Average Day?

Since I started vaping I've doubled my water intake. Maybe more.

I'll have to try unflavoured, pure VG, etc, and really go through the process of elimination. Hard to do here as it's not readily available but I'll figure it out. I also have an appointment with my ENT doctor to get tested for allergies. He knows about all of this and still thinks it's the nic. I don't, especially being a heavy smoker who on occasion had tree packs of marlboros in a day no problem, but I'll have another go at 0 nic today just to make sure.

Yesterday I did something I hadn't tried before and simply vaped less. A LOT less. I average 6ml a day, yesterday I had less than 2. Very light/no reaction. Which doesn't mean anything really but at least I smoked less.

Thank you all heaps for the advice!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread