Unclogging Boge cartos: sharp needle method

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Forgive me if this is old news here. I found no method here for this, so I wanted to share.

I have really taken to Boge cartos. I regularly use 3.2 ohm and 2.4 ohm, and have an order of 2.0 ohm on the way. What I like about them is the filler is essentially tasteless to me, they wick well as long as the juice is on the thinner side, give great vapor and true flavor, and are not prone to burning as long as you keep them wet. I use them with a drip tip, and top off as needed, like dripping in an atty.

In general, the major issue with them is NOT that they die easily, but they can clog after a while. Cleaning (vodka soak, hot water flush, 250 deg oven dry) gets rid of residual flavors, but it does not solve the clog. This is because the clogs are most often NOT gunky juice residue, but a mechanical block in the air flow: the hole up through the center is blocked.

The easiest way to describe the insides of these cartos is to imagine a roll of paper towels, but instead of the center cardboard tube extending through the entire roll, it extends only about 1/3 of the way from the top. The rest of the roll is still a roll, with a center hole, just no cardboard tube.

In the Boge carto, the filler corresponds with the paper towels, and there is a cloth center-hole tube which corresponds to the truncated cardboard tube described above. The coil starts at the base, extends up through the center hole of the filler roll, loops up and over the cloth tube at the top, and then extends back down the outside of the cloth tube through the center hole and back to the base.

Air is pulled in through the two air holes just above the battery threading, and up through the center hole of the filler roll. In a healthy breathing carto, and removing the rubber cap, one should be able to see light through center hole of the filler-roll all the way out the center hole of the threaded end. Using the paper towel roll analogy, it is like putting your mouth to one end and blowing through the center tube, even if the cardboard tube doesn't extend through the whole roll.

Crush the paper towel roll enough and you can't blow air through it. Same is true with the carto filler. Through swelling from hot juice plus hard draws, blowing excess juice out, the filler/cloth tube structure gets crushed or distorted enough to cause air blockage.

In general, THIS IS THE CLOG. Obviously cleaning cannot open a clog like this. The center air hole has to be reopened mechanically. I have tried to carefully do this with a paperclip, a wire, a blunt syringe needle, by sticking it carefully up into the threading center hole, and easing it up through until it sticks out the top through the center of the cloth center tube. About 75% of the time I inadvertently disconnect the coil, killing the carto completely. This is because the ends of these poking devices are blunt, and often either get stuck on the coil wire, pulling it out or breaking it, or the bottom of the center cloth tube, also pulling the coil out to much and breaking it.

So I decided I needed a sharp needle, and thus would not as easily get stuck on anything in its path. I used a sharp 18 gauge hypodermic needle I had gotten from a pet medical supply house a while back for DIY. One could, it seems, use a large sewing needle or large safety pin...has to be sharp and long enough to extend all the way through the center and stick out a few mm, and thick enough to remake a reasonable center channel. I use small tweezers to grab and pull up the filler, being careful to not grab the coil wire. Some fillers (my hard-tip Boge 3.2 ohms) are glued to the wall of the carto housiing, and cannot be pulled up, but my soft tips have unglued filler, and it can be pulled up.

Then I carefully ease the needle up through the center hole, and if I encounter blockage in the path I turn the needle and gently push until I feel the needle penetrate further. Eventually the sharp end will emerge from the top of the filler. If it does not come out through the center of the cloth tube I pull the needle back and try again, maybe use the tweezers to carefully move the cloth tube too, so eventually the needle emerges from the center of it. Then I hold onto the base of the needle and work it around in the hole, like I want to make the center channel wider, which I do. If the filler is not glued to the wall, I use the tweezers again to pull the filler up a little, or push the cloth tube back down into the filler roll, or both. Then remove the needle, test with a multimeter to make sure I didn't break the fragile coil wire, fill with juice and vape.

I had about 30 cartos (~$50 worth) which were still correct resistance, but quite clogged. I saved them for when I would figure out how to resurrect them. Other than the ones I killed with blunt devices, they are all vaping like new now, and some are MANY months old.

Some will say "Why bother?? They are disposable!" I like to make things last. I like not throwing out any vaping hardware. Why spend more when you don't have to, and not everyone has the $ to buy 100s of cartos all the time. I sure don't.

Other brands of cartos might be different. Only referring to Boge, and in general the soft tip kind. I have resurrected both 510 and kr808d-1 Boge cartos this way. I'm vaping right now on a 3.2 ohm carto that I know is at least 8 months old, probably was at its 7th or 8th cleaning, and was seriously clogged. For the life of me I cannot tell it from a freshly unwrapped carto. Great vapor, flavor, and perfect air flow.

BTW, people have asked about burnt taste even if the carto is full of juice. I had this too, and it was because the coil was sticking up above the filler, and that part was dry. Gently pushing it back or pulling the filler up so the coil is more flush with the top of the filler solved this for me. I do this with a needle inserted so I don't create a blockage by pushing the cloth tube or coil down.

Hope this method works for people!! I now have no idea how long these cartos will last. All coils will die eventually, or increase resistance until they are useless, but I would rather have the rest of the carto fully functional right up to the end. This method seems to help make that a reality.

Get yer Boge back on and vape! :vapor:

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Very nice write up. I got my first Bogelr's about a month ago. I only vape 70/30 unflavored and was surprised that one got clogged up after only two weeks. I read a thread about a fella that turned the batt. side connector a little and it opened it up for me.
    I'm frugal like you and will tear apart and clean and repair something, but I won't waste the hot water to clean or even rinse them out- that'll cost more than the carto. One got funky on me after a month, and it went in the trash.

Again, great write-up, maybe they'll make it a stickey.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 16, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Thanks! I actually don't use much water to flush them. I fill a bowl or big mug with warm water, then use the carto like a drinking straw and pull the water up, and then push it back into the bowl. Then put a bunch together with open ends pointing the same way, rubber band them in a bunch, and spin them mostly dry in a sock, then the oven does the rest, including any killing any baddies that might have been in my mouth. Of course I am paying for the heating energy too, but it doesn't cost $50. Of course, it could be argued that my time is more valuable than the time to do all this, but I do so enjoy seeing a fresh crop of cartos ready for further abuse!

tmcase

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 20, 2011
    I agree! It's imperative with me to get the most of out everything I buy. I don't have a money tree in my back yard. The atomizer & cartos are the most temperamental part of this habit/hobby and when they don't work properly I want to know why and fix it like you. I've busted a couple being too aggressive or maybe just too frustrated, but I've cleared that collapsible hole in cartos also and it felt good to say "hey, I fixed it". Nice write up.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 16, 2009
    Philadelphia
    As a follow up, I have found that clearing the center air channel does not open up some Boges. In this case, I found that it was the little airholes above the threading that were being blocked, and I could see metal inside the base blocking them. So with the thread end pointing down, I stuck my sharp needle into one of the small airholes at the top of it, and sort of worked it in and pried downward. The center post slid down so that it was sticking out below the threads by about 1 mm. The center post is not glued in! The side air holes were now open, and I screwed the carto in until it just start to resist, not enough to push the center post back up. Carto which had been very sluggish vaped with like-new air flow.

So this is another Boge carto unclogging using a sharp needle!

mwa102464

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 14, 2009
    Outside of the Philadelphia Burbs, NJ & Fla
    I simply use a modded syringe or the good ole turkey baster but mostly the modded syringe, get a boiling hot bowl of water and put the carto on the modded syringe without the needle and pull up the Boiling hot water then push it out, repeat a few times and the blow them out and just let them sit for days until there dry. I've found for me this works better than anything else so far much better than these ultra sonic cleaners as well, ya I even wasted money on one of those too and they may get some of the junk out but nothing like the pressure of the syringe and boiling water blowing out the cartos does. I've also found if you don't wait until the carto is beat up to much that cleaning them earlier more so than later works better to revive them as well.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 16, 2009
    Philadelphia
    I simply use a modded syringe or the good ole turkey baster but mostly the modded syringe, get a boiling hot bowl of water and put the carto on the modded syringe without the needle and pull up the Boiling hot water then push it out, repeat a few times and the blow them out and just let them sit for days until there dry. I've found for me this works better than anything else so far much better than these ultra sonic cleaners as well, ya I even wasted money on one of those too and they may get some of the junk out but nothing like the pressure of the syringe and boiling water blowing out the cartos does. I've also found if you don't wait until the carto is beat up to much that cleaning them earlier more so than later works better to revive them as well.

Yeah, I've not tried a syringe for the actual cleaning. I do a vodka soak for a day or so, then use them like a straw and push and pull hot water through them. But even if clean, there can still be a physical block, which is more what this thread is for. Had lots of very clean cartos which still were clogged.

r77r7r

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    Thanks! the "Kurt's Centerpost Slide" worked great!!!! Lol You guys must fill from the bottom w/ condom to get that center hole clogged?? I think I'm the only wierdo that condoms from the top w/ the cap on. I use an wrap- around thingy that people use to let others test the equipment- instead of a drip tip. Anyway,when I fill, altho it goes into the center hole,it goesto the edges, not the center hole.
    Doing it this way leaves my center hole quite clean even tho they're 6 wks. old.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 16, 2009
    Philadelphia
    Thanks! the "Kurt's Centerpost Slide" worked great!!!! Lol You guys must fill from the bottom w/ condom to get that center hole clogged?? I think I'm the only wierdo that condoms from the top w/ the cap on. I use an wrap- around thingy that people use to let others test the equipment- instead of a drip tip. Anyway,when I fill, altho it goes into the center hole,it goesto the edges, not the center hole.
    Doing it this way leaves my center hole quite clean even tho they're 6 wks. old.

What I find is that its not some much that the airholes get jjuice clogged, its that some battery/carto combinations when screwed together, push the centerpost up a little, and maybe this is what blocks the airholes. Regardless, if clearing out the center air channel doesn't work, the centerpost slide generally does...until I forget and screw the carto on the batt too tightly, and have to take it off and reslide it.

For initial filling, I remove the cap, fill a "long" condom ~1/2 way with juice (maybe a cm), slide the open end down into the condom, put a short "thread-end" condom on the thread-end, invert, and let sit for 10 minutes. Then remove long condom and drip in juice until it is juicy on top, remove short condom, gently blow excess out, and enjoy.

I also have a bunch of Boge hard-tips that have glued-in caps, and I just pry them out, sometimes piece-wise, so I can use a soft rubber drip tip on them.

I want to do the centerpost slide with my 510 attys that have similar airhole blockage, but I think the centerposts are glued in. Can't get them to budge.

Striker911

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 7, 2012
    Mountain Home, AR
    Very nice write up. I got my first Bogelr's about a month ago. I only vape 70/30 unflavored and was surprised that one got clogged up after only two weeks. I read a thread about a fella that turned the batt. side connector a little and it opened it up for me.
    I'm frugal like you and will tear apart and clean and repair something, but I won't waste the hot water to clean or even rinse them out- that'll cost more than the carto. One got funky on me after a month, and it went in the trash.

Again, great write-up, maybe they'll make it a stickey.

Wow. U get a month out of a carto. I only got 5 days out of the first one. Then one out of the second. They both clogged up already. Hope this works for me or I may try the ce2. I need some good luck.

Striker911

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 7, 2012
    Mountain Home, AR
    Success! Thanks for the good idea. My needle was too short but the clog was towards the bottom anyways. I put a flash light at the threaded end and could hardly see light. After I tried your method I could tell it was good and sure enough its like new again. :vapor:. I get a lot of flooding and im sure its from blowing it out. Really want to fix that but I use a tank and punch a hole. I wonder if it would do any better to make the hole in the carto as low as it can go. Guess ill have to try and see next time. Hopefully next month :unsure:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread