Understanding Mod Specs

Status
Not open for further replies.

aecnrn

Jan 6, 2013
Malaysia
Guys,

Can someone explain to me what these values mean? What 0.1-1.3 ohm means, does it mean i can't build anything above 1.3 ohms, or the mod will stop firing if the coil reaches 1.3 ohms? Thanks.

Specification
Power: 1-80W
Voltage: 0.5-9V
TC mode support: Ni200/Ti /NC/Stainless Steel

Atomizer Resistance
VW: 0.1-5 ohm (0.5 ohm is optimal)
TC Ni200: 0.1-1.3 ohm (0.2 ohm is optimal)
TC Ti: 0.1-1.3 ohm (0.5 ohm is optimal)
TC SS: 0.1-1.3 ohm (0.5 ohm is optimal)
TC NC: 0.1-1.3 ohm (0.5 ohm is optimal)
TCR: 0.1-1.3 ohm (0.5 ohm is optimal)
Temp control Range: 200-600°F (100-300°C)
Material Technics: Zinc alloy with ceramic baking
Size: 79*49.5*25.5mm
Efficiency: 95%

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Specs are usually giving you the capacities of the mod, and how it can run, so I'd say yes that 1.3 might be the highest ohms it supports, you'll also see slightly different specs for different wires in TC mode. It's usually the most and least wattage/ohms/temp etc. that you can run the mod at.

With that said, often, a mod often runs optimally somewhere in the middle. So depending on what your preferences are, vape-wise, say you want to build at 1.3 ohms, you are really pushing what the mod can support, so you will often get best performance moving a few decimal places down. Just my thoughts, but that seems to me to be correct. The areas where that may most matter in terms of stressing the mod however, would be highest wattage (can often stress batteries, depending on what you use) etc.

Good luck,

Anna

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
I use SS coils in TC most of the time. What seems to work best for me is:

around .5 ohms. Spaced coil, contact coils don't work so well. Make sure the ohm reading on the coil is taken at room temperature as the base reading. Start off at a low temperature then keep raising it until you like what it puts out.

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
Thanks Anna and CagedSpam, so i should look into how high my target temp is and what resistance will the wire be at that particular temp, then decide how low my build should be, correct?

I'd build a coil or coils in the range it lists, then adjust temp to your liking. I'd probably stick to the .5 to start, that's a good value. It shouldn't take too long to warm up (ramp up) and not too low that it will suck the battery down too fast.

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Thanks Anna and CagedSpam, so i should look into how high my target temp is and what resistance will the wire be at that particular temp, then decide how low my build should be, correct?

Here's how I think it works based on my experience. As always, I welcome corrections:

In theory, it should be OK as long as your build is under 1.3 ohm. If it detects anything over 1.3 when it's not firing the mod will kick you into VW mode. If your build is 1.25 and it goes over 1.3 while firing, that will be fine. Unfortunately, it will take some time for the coil to cool down (and drop its resistance) after you stop firing, so if it notices it's still over 1.3 in that period it'll kick you to VW.

My mods are supposed to go to 1.5 ohm in TC, but I had nothing but trouble with a 1.4 ohm build.

Calculating the resistance like you suggested would certainly be the most accurate way to find your limits. As an estimate, I'd say you'd be fine at 1 ohm or less. Good luck!

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I use SS coils in TC most of the time. What seems to work best for me is:

around .5 ohms. Spaced coil, contact coils don't work so well. Make sure the ohm reading on the coil is taken at room temperature as the base reading. Start off at a low temperature then keep raising it until you like what it puts out.

I agree with @Beamslider, although my coils are usually around 1 ohm. A key recommendation here is to use spaced coils. They tend to work better for TC.

aecnrn

Jan 6, 2013
Malaysia
Pretty much all i build is .4-.6ohm SS 316 with 26 gauge. If you want to build higher you are probably better off with 28 gauge. I really want to switch to 304SS or maybe 430SS though. They both have a higher TCR value than 316L

Yea i'm aiming around the same resistance, but don't want to use too much power to heat up the coil. By the way, I've seen every where about this TCR set up, I know SS316 is around 0.00092, but what it means if we dial this number to a higher or lower value?

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
On my DNA mods if I use a higher resistance build, I get a warning the resistance is too high. That just means I’m not going to get the wattage I asked for, but the mod will still do what it can.
I saw that once on a DNA 250 and several times with the DNA 75.
I now build SS430 to hit .28 for the pair.
Though this week’s coils are NiFe52 at .15 for the pair. It probably helps that I vape TC at 40-50W 430-450F

Reactions: stols001

aecnrn

Jan 6, 2013
Malaysia
Im plan to use ss316l with smoant knight v2, contacted them to see how to set the numbers correctly but the answer wasn't helpful at all.

So in the device i see something like 0.00002 to 0.00900, which is not the same as what they describe on their website.

My question is, is this a universal format or its different across manufacturer? Smoant told me to set it to 0.00008 for ss316L. Doesnt sound right.
43cb81df6a63f421daa5e385e28229ee.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
Massachusetts
My question is, is this a universal format or its different across manufacturer?

Unfortunately, the manner in which the TCR values are enter into the device is not standard. And, from maker to maker, chip to chip, the TCR function isn't standard either.
Smoant is said to do TCR pretty well, but it is one mod I have not owned.
This is from a Smoant guy:
"Personally I use .00097 on the Charon and .00102 on the Battlestar and get fantastic results with 28g x 3/36g claptons 5 wrap 3mm id with a slight spacing"

• Informative

aecnrn

Jan 6, 2013
Malaysia
Unfortunately, the manner in which the TCR values are enter into the device is not standard. And, from maker to maker, chip to chip, the TCR function isn't standard either.
Smoant is said to do TCR pretty well, but it is one mod I have not owned.
This is from a Smoant guy:
"Personally I use .00097 on the Charon and .00102 on the Battlestar and get fantastic results with 28g x 3/36g claptons 5 wrap 3mm id with a slight spacing"

Thanks ShowerHead, that's perfect, i'll try those numbers. How do i know if TCR is set correctly though?

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Thanks ShowerHead, that's perfect, i'll try those numbers. How do i know if TCR is set correctly though?
Set the temperature to 420 Fahrenheit, wick with new cotton, and check if the tc will prevent the dry cotton when firing the mod. If the cotton remains undamaged the settings should be close enough.

Sent from my Thor E using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread