Unpleasant taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tesconi

May 20, 2012
SO CAL
Been vaping for about 6 weeks now and refilling Volt cartos with Cowboy for about 2 weeks. I've noticed that after a while, even though there is still vapor, the carto taste takes on this "rubbery" characteristic (I've never eaten or smoked rubber, but that is as close to a description as I can get). Is this what to expect and is that a sign the carto is pretty much dusted and needs to be refilled?

bodrell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 15, 2010
Michigan
I top my cartos off with several drops frequently throughout the day...and most last weeks and weeks. Keeping them wet is one key to longevity (although, depending what you are using, they're an inexpensive disposable item) but so far the only indication I have that a carto is on its last legs is a very tight draw. I've learned to just let go and toss them when that happens. Oh, and have plenty of spare, fresh ones on hand!

Jedipapa

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2012
Florida
That is the taste of a burnt carto. You want to try and learn when to refill them before you get to that point. Once the vapor production goes down and the draw gets airy, the carto is empty. At that point,refill. Most prefilled cartos don't have as much juice as they can hold, so on the first use of a new carto, it won't last as long as when you refill it. This also applies to when you fill your own for the first time.

You want to try and avoid burning your carto, because you can never get rid of that taste in the carto. So if you want to refill them, you need to fill early. You can refill those cartos at least 10-20 times depending on what kind of juice you are using

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Needeles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2012
WIsconsin
What if the carto is full? I was using some carts from Red Dragon and was making sure to keep them full but still ended up with the same problem. I have now switched to a volt and am using there carts and havn't had that issue. I myself noticed a kinda burnt popcorn type of taste myself, not sure if that was the cart or the juice. Firgured I ask incase it happens with these new carts I got. Don't mean to hyjack the thread but figured I'd ask since it was along the same lines as the OP.

watchcow

Apr 26, 2012
Oklahoma
All atomizers adn cartos eventually die. usually you get sick of them because of a stiff draw or the taste goes south before the coils actually burn out. while there is the temptation to try to squeeze every bit of life out of something, this is one area where you have to just accept that this is a hobby/practice that is full of consumable and throw-away supplies, cartos among those. As you vape, virtually all juices have some component that does not vaporize. those parts of the juice like sugars and some of the flavors and almost all colorings either concentrate in the filler of the carto or they burn on the coil or "carmelize" in the fibers near the coils. as you add more juice to top off a carto you will see that the color of the filler starts to change to something murky over time. You can sometimes clean out cartos using alcohol or hot water and extend the life a bit, but i gave up on that a long time ago. it takes time, and a wet carto can start growing mold or fungus, they need to be dried out before you can use juice in them effectively again, so it ends up being a pain at best and it could even become a health hazzard.

This is one area where i tend ot dislike the pen style e-cigs. many of them have connectors that are almost unique to their brand and replacements get expensive. A cheap starter kit often leads to an expensive hobby if replacements are expensive or difficult to get. so i have recommended an eGo tank battery to just about everyone and then add Boge or Kanger cartomizers to it. Standard 510 thread cartomizers are rarely more than $2 each and they can be bought from any online vendor and most cities have smoke shops that stock a few e-cig supplies and many cities now have full-blown e-cig shops. getting hooked up with a local shop has alot of benefits in terms of support and social conncections. they often have sceduled "vape meets" where you can bring your PV and sample lots of different things without having to buy bottles you will never finish.

Keep at it, just throw away carts as they get gross and be ready to do it pretty quickly. hanging onto old carts will only make your experience less enjoyable and may even make you better toward the practice adn the culture.

Jedipapa

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2012
Florida
What if the carto is full? I was using some carts from Red Dragon and was making sure to keep them full but still ended up with the same problem. I have now switched to a volt and am using there carts and havn't had that issue. I myself noticed a kinda burnt popcorn type of taste myself, not sure if that was the cart or the juice. Firgured I ask incase it happens with these new carts I got. Don't mean to hyjack the thread but figured I'd ask since it was along the same lines as the OP.

The si volt uses a different type of coil in their cartomizer. It is a horizontal bottom coil. They don't burn as easily. Unless you vape it completely dry, you should be ok. I have not burnt one yet, however I did burn several from vapor 4 life.

Jedipapa

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2012
Florida
All atomizers adn cartos eventually die. usually you get sick of them because of a stiff draw or the taste goes south before the coils actually burn out. while there is the temptation to try to squeeze every bit of life out of something, this is one area where you have to just accept that this is a hobby/practice that is full of consumable and throw-away supplies, cartos among those. As you vape, virtually all juices have some component that does not vaporize. those parts of the juice like sugars and some of the flavors and almost all colorings either concentrate in the filler of the carto or they burn on the coil or "carmelize" in the fibers near the coils. as you add more juice to top off a carto you will see that the color of the filler starts to change to something murky over time. You can sometimes clean out cartos using alcohol or hot water and extend the life a bit, but i gave up on that a long time ago. it takes time, and a wet carto can start growing mold or fungus, they need to be dried out before you can use juice in them effectively again, so it ends up being a pain at best and it could even become a health hazzard.

This is one area where i tend ot dislike the pen style e-cigs. many of them have connectors that are almost unique to their brand and replacements get expensive. A cheap starter kit often leads to an expensive hobby if replacements are expensive or difficult to get. so i have recommended an eGo tank battery to just about everyone and then add Boge or Kanger cartomizers to it. Standard 510 thread cartomizers are rarely more than $2 each and they can be bought from any online vendor and most cities have smoke shops that stock a few e-cig supplies and many cities now have full-blown e-cig shops. getting hooked up with a local shop has alot of benefits in terms of support and social conncections. they often have sceduled "vape meets" where you can bring your PV and sample lots of different things without having to buy bottles you will never finish.

Keep at it, just throw away carts as they get gross and be ready to do it pretty quickly. hanging onto old carts will only make your experience less enjoyable and may even make you better toward the practice adn the culture.

The si volt, bloog, smoove and halo g6 all use a standard 808 connection. You can buy cartos anywhere as well as tanks and clearomizers.

Though you can use any carto that has an 808 thread on it, the si carto has a better coil. These are available from other companies, but si sells them pretty cheaply. With the 15% off coupon that is always available, the are about $1.50 each. In my experience, they last about a month.

You can also use clearomizers if you don't like the poly fill cartos. The Phoenix from gotvapes is a clearo that is the same size and shape of a carto.

Personally, I don't like takes where you have to use cartos inside. You still end up with a poly fill that changes the flavor of the juice

Needeles

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2012
WIsconsin
You can also use clearomizers if you don't like the poly fill cartos. The Phoenix from gotvapes is a clearo that is the same size and shape of a carto.

Ha, nice ya I saw a youtube vid a few days back about these and jumped all over em. I ordered a pack of em and so far there great. Only issue I've had is if it isn't fully empty and you try to refill it will just turn into a mess. Otherwise there working out great and fit perfect on my volt.

Mroutlaw

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2012
Deerfield Beach, Florida
www.
Ha, nice ya I saw a youtube vid a few days back about these and jumped all over em. I ordered a pack of em and so far there great. Only issue I've had is if it isn't fully empty and you try to refill it will just turn into a mess. Otherwise there working out great and fit perfect on my volt.

I actually posted a YouTube video about these on the volt. There is a way to refill without emptying the Carto. I plan on posting a video about this, but in the meantime here is an explanation.

To refill a bottom coil Phoenix that still has juice, turn the carto upside down and stick your syringe through the fill hole into the tank. Push the needle past the level of the juice (if it isn't long enough, then tilt the carto on its side a little until the needle tip is touching air and not juice). Then, pull the plunger back so that you withdraw the air. You will Immediately see the juice that is stuck towards the top (it's being held there by vacuum) drop to the bottom with the rest of the juice. Now, take your needle out and fill it with juice, push back through the fill hole and top off your juice. This will prevent the buildup of pressure from leaking juice down the bottom as you fill

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread