UPDATE 6/25/14! NJ Gov. Chris Christie proposes taxing e-cigs at rate equal to $2.70/pack cigarette tax + other issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammeedog

ECF Veteran
Jan 6, 2010
NJ
They just don't give up in this state. All about the buck. I'm desperately trying to quit after 40 years of smoking and COPD, I've been using the ecig nonstop since October, down to 3mg of nicotine. I really don't need these greedy .......s to screw me over. I'm sure I'll be crossing stateliness until I can quit everything once and for all. I feel bad for the little guys in the b&m's. They can't survive this kind of hit.

Fitzie

ECF Veteran
Mar 7, 2014
Staten Island, NY, USA
If NYS ends up banning e-liquid sales to adults, my backup plan is to go over the bridge to a Jersey B&M (easy from Staten Island). NYC residents are known to travel to Jersey to pay lower sales taxes than in NY (and, yes, I know NYS wants to raise taxes on e-cigs too).

Not to make light of any of this, but I was reminded of a "famous" saying. For those old enough to remember - Miss Roseanne Roseannadanna (the late Gilda Radner on Saturday Night Live):

"It's always something - if it's not one thing, it's another!"

Between the feds and the states, vapers can't catch a break.

NicksCloud

Verified Member
May 13, 2014
USA
I think that we need to rally at the next hearing. I also feel we should argue that until the FDA rules on the health factors related to e-cigs, that the state should not treat this like another tobacco product. Finally, I think the state should look at other options for generating revenue such as legalizing ......... if they really want to fix the defecit. Sadly Christie is fully against that option but members of the state senate are discussing it as a feasible plan when the next administration comes into office.

It would also be helpful to know which B&M's are participating so that we can reach out to those who are not.

natchez

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 4, 2012
Nevada
I am in New Jersey visiting my in-laws and stopped in at a new B&M vape shop, just open a couple of weeks, in Linden, NJ- Cloud Chaser Vapors. The shop is run by a lovely young man named Nick. Service was wonderful and selection was quite nice.

It would be a shame if NJ impaired the growth of such small businesses. But for growth and innovation, where do they think new economic activity, the associated employment, and sales taxes are going to come from?

Endor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southern California
I'm a southern California resident, but over the past 6 months or so, spend 2-3 weeks of every month in northern New Jersey on business. I am considering relocating here.

I'm shocked how many B&M vape shops have opened up here in the past few months. I visit them regularly to pick up eliquid and supplies with my out-of-state money. Won't be doing that if this passes.

Between this, income taxes, and the insane property taxes in NJ (literally 3x what I pay in California).... all I can say is "wow".

Luisa

ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2010
harlingen,texas
They don't mind ruining it for us as long as they make money. I really wish they would just piss off completely.
You must remember New Jersey is home to a number of Pharma Companies and they donate generously to those that might be helpful to them. Check the donations to Christies" campaign from Pharma Companies. I could be wrong,but I think he is one of top politicians in receiving donations from Pharma. Does that explain anything?

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
We here in Pennsylvania would like to point out that New Jersey is a very thin state and no part is that far from the border. Just saying.

I appreciate your news, Bill, but when you pull this you shoot yourself in the foot. Repeatedly. I get that you have an obvious political ax to grind, but please take it to the Outside where it belongs.

I dont think its an axe to grind as much as its the truth. Sorry to cause you some cognitive dissonance but do the research yourself and you'll see that he's right here.

Even die-hard ex-Democrats like Berylana are starting to question their involvement in a party that cares little for vapers.

Christie has NO chance of being nominated or even achieving Presidency and has proven himself to be Republican in name only. Simply put, he votes and acts like a Democrat.

My question to you is that after seeing the true nature and political alignment of our enemies in regards to vaping, why do you continue to support them and attempt to attack someone who's been on our side since day one?

I think your loyalties and priorities are a bit confused to say the least.

As far as credibility goes, youre just a poster on a forum who would probably be hard pressed to say theyve contributed a tenth of what Bill has to our cause. For that matter, so am I and so are most of the people who frequent here unless youre someone like Vocalek or Kristin Marsh.

You may know a thing or two about vaping but when it comes to vaping rules and regulations and the entire political arena, Ill take the word of someone who's devoted their entire life to the fight over someone who simply posts on a forum.

You'll probably find more support for your views in the Outside.There doesnt seem to be a shortage of arrogance,delusion or misplaced loyalty there either.

Last edited:

aubergine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
MD
In here, Democrats, Republicans, Independents, also Christians, Jews, Atheists, Wiccans and god knows what are trying to work together in common cause.

General partisan comments, especially inflammatory ones, belong Outside, simply because to respond to them argumentatively (and generally partisan comments provoke that impulse) would be a thread wrecker and unhelpful to the discussion at hand. We understand that the Republicans are our more numerous allies in this battle. We might disagree as to why that is. That discussion, and arguments re political preferences on other issues are for each of us to work out elsewhere.

Last edited:

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
In here, Democrats, Republicans, Independents, also Christians, Jews, Atheists, Wiccans and god knows what are trying to work together in common cause.

General partisan comments, especially inflammatory ones, belong Outside, simply because to respond to them argumentatively (and generally partisan comments provoke that impulse) would be a thread wrecker and unhelpful to the discussion at hand. We understand that the Republicans are our more numerous allies in this battle. We might disagree as to why that is. That discussion, and arguments re political preferences on other issues are for each of us to work out elsewhere.

Yep

Berylanna

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
south Bay Area, California
www.facebook.com
I dont think its an axe to grind as much as its the truth. Sorry to cause you some cognitive dissonance but do the research yourself and you'll see that he's right here.

Even die-hard ex-Democrats like Berylana are starting to question their involvement in a party that cares little for vapers.

Just to clarify: I have NOT changed my views towards 80% of what Democrats stand for, I have not suddenly become anti-all-taxes or anti-all-regulations, I left the party because THEY left ME. And I'm still heartbroken over it. My criticism of Democrats is meant to be insider criticism, and I routinely ask other people to ask themselves "what group do I belong to that could do better concerning ecigs?" which I suspect could include scientists, statisticians, media (BIG TIME, YEAH!), public health workers, schoolteachers, medical people and many many more. My sister tells me that while she has heard of a lot of doctors being pro-ecig, her son the paramedic tells her the nurses and paramedics are somehow only getting the anti-ecig propaganda, she's not sure where it is coming from. Me, I mostly talk to engineers.

And now we're seeing Republican states that are doing the same thing, so join the club!

If I could draw, I'd like to make a poster showing an arm with a dirty tourniquet made out of a rubber glove, with a big needle going into the vein, the arm labeled "governments" and the syringe full of "tobacco money", a small mound of greenish-white powder "ground-up bones of dead smokers" next to a dirty spoon and burnt match, with a caption "Why nobody likes the e-cig revolution" or "The supply of corpse powder is endangered by ecigs"

And even though I'm on a different part of the political spectrum from Bill Godshall, he is one of my top 20 heroes along with the CASAA board and a handful of international scientists. [Edit: after the other weekend I have to add Vaping Militia to my list of heroes!)

Just sayin'
:2c:

Last edited:

Stosh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2010
Nevada
Don't get hung up on labels, look to their actions, not the party affiliation.

I'm from New Jersey and our most radical, red meat, GOP'ers couldn't get elected as dog-catcher in say Texas. And by the same token, the most left wing, bomb throwing Dem in Texas wouldn't be allowed to join the GOP in NJ, they would be far too conservative ....:closedeyes:

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
URGENT UPDATE 6/19/14:

A "sin tax" on e-cigarettes in New Jersey remains a serious threat. CASAA has issued two new CQ Roll Call Campaigns for New Jersey to express consumer opposition to a sin tax on e-cigarettes contained in Governor Christie's proposed budget.

If you have a New Jersey address, please take five minutes of your time to participate and share your views with your elected officials.

B]CALL TO ACTION:[/B]
CASAA: Call to Action! New Jersey's Governor Christie is Proposing a Tax on E-Cigarettes at the Same Rate as Combustible Cigarettes

sonicdsl

Wandering life's highway
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 11, 2011
ATTENTION ALL NEW JERSEY VAPERS!!!!!

Due to the efforts of the NJVRC – New Jersey Vapor Retailers Coalition, we just received word from MWW, Our Lobbyist Group, that the Ecig tax in New Jersey was REMOVED FROM THE BUDGET!!!!

This is HUGE news for the NJ vaping community! While its possible things may change in 48 hours when the budget is voted on, at this time the odds are in our favor!

[Read More]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread