Update:ny child dies of nicotine poisoning.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I've taken some time to post on news stories. Instead of links to studies I try to rely more on common knowledge and common sense. If nic was addictive patches and gum couldn't be over the counter. The flavors are good because they spoil the taste of tobacco smoke. That effect will work on kids and adults. One news story mentioned that a kid was given ecig stuff by his parents for christmas. Obviously parents can have different views about what is best for their children. Have you read any accounts of doctors treating illnesses caused by vaping? There is no confirmed case of any child who died because they injested nicotine. My local vape shop owner claimes 75% of his newbies quit. If nobody was smoking a substantial number of people in public health would be out of work. Hundreds of millions in research grants would go in new directions. California health officials are making some of the loudest protests about ecigs. By coincidence California is up to it's eyeballs in bods backed by master settlement tobacco money. If you want to end the tobacco age keep the kids off cigarettes. The surest way to do that is if they vape instead of smoke.

The above are the kinds of arguments I like to make.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
But I think the settlement money the states get each year is based on how many packs are sold in their state now! So they are losing MTSA money every time a smoker quits. But yeah, they screwed up with those bonds.
Thank you for reminding me about that. They have a direct financial interest in keeping people smoking in their state. But the situation is worse than that. They don't see that annual money any more. They borrowed on it years ago and now it goes to payback bond holders. What I don't know is whether the bonds are garanteed by the full faith and credit of the state. The conflict of interest is so obvious and outrageous I wonder if it could be the basis of a lawsuit. My ultimate fantasy is that some how the supreme court could find tobacco excise taxes to be uncocnstitutional and in a stroke they are all wiped away. At that point government would get serious about reducing smoking. Medicad would pay for e lliquid.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa

four2109

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2009
S. Indiana
I think I will order another liter from Heartland just to show my support.
From this and the December article, I can't tell who was living there, much less who they blamed the open bottle on between the 2 stories.
Who gets 100 mg in glass bottles, unless it was a BIG bottle?? I've bought 60 and 120 ml from Wizard. I've never seen it in quantities smaller than that. Makes me wonder.
I thought an earlier story said they bought the eliquid from a LOCAL vape store. Does anyone else recall that?

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
The whole story:

"Not knowing that Eli was going to be at the house, Belinda Hotaling left an uncapped bottle containing a nicotine solution on a low table in the dining room, police said."

It could have been an 'uncapped bottle' of arsenic, rat poison or 100's of other substances.

IOW, this isn't a 'no child proof cap' problem. It's a 'no cap' problem. (or more specifically, a no adult supervision problem).

EBates

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2013
Texas
Yes, BUT.....

To what extent is the danger of nicotine in e-liquid to children known? It's almost never stated prominently on bottles, and we, as users, tend to be quite blase about it - noting that we have considerable tolerance to it from prior smoking.

All of the juice bottles I have contain the "Keep Out Of Reach Of Children And Pets" warning on the label. Note these are 50 and smaller ml bottles so the labeling is small.
Stupidproofing is a way of life here in the US. You can't start your car without the key and pressing the brake peddle, or crank your lawn mover without holding a handle, operate a drill without holding button. I could go on and on... The point is Yes we need safe products. No we don't need the government Continually Sticking There Nose In Everything We Do. They can't run there own business I don't want them in Mine.

Kent C

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 12, 2009
NW Ohio US
Who leaves 100 mg strength nicotine out uncapped sitting on a low table?

The type of people that no amount of regulation is ever going to reach. And yet the type of event that regulators will point to, in order to justify controlling the responsible people that would never do that. :facepalm:

Painter_

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2013
In my happy place
It does invalidate the antz statement that kids are attracted to e-juice because it smells good and comes in colorful packaging. Bulk nicotine smells like .... and it tastes really bad.

I don't use nicotine anymore and when I mix juice for my sister who uses 18 mg, I can smell the nic in the juice.

Buster282

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
FL USA
"Who leaves 100 mg strength nicotine out uncapped sitting on a low table? That doesn't even make sense."

Correct! I would say a totally irresponsible stupid person. Who in the world doesn't know that 100mg Nicotine is extremely toxic and potentially fatal? I guess that boys aunt. That's who should be held responsible! Not Heartland Vape! When I was making my juice, I wouldn't even order 100mg because of the potential danger.

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
Even if I had no kids or pets in the house, if I lived alone, I would only keep 100 mg/ml nic in the bathroom, near water, where I would actually use it for mixing. And, keep it put away except for when I was actually using it.

It's not good for me, nor is it good for the nic, to leave it sitting around open.

It sounds like 2 people were at fault. One for leaving 100 mg/ml nic laying around open. But, even more, the person babysitting a toddler in a trashed out house where no telling what dangers were around amidst the junk.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread