Updated!! Pennsylvania: 40% tax = game over for vape

Status
Not open for further replies.

philbh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 24, 2014
    Westlake, Ohio
    Total tyranny. I am just furious and sad at the same time. I just can't believe that they can do what they are doing . I am also in next door in Ohio, and it scares me that something similar will happen here next. I am pretty well stocked up for at least 20 years, or til death; whichever comes first, but I don't want to see vendors forced out of business, and vapers being cut off. Truly scary as hell...

swampergene

ECF Veteran
    Mar 9, 2014
    Slatington, PA, USA
    Still shaking my head. They put some real teeth in this bill. Not only hitting us with the 40% tax but even more they are PROTECTING that tax from attacks at every angle. Overnight (well, looks like Oct. 1st), DIY will be for all practical purposes BOOTLEGGING. According to this act, any person who possesses untaxed liquid will be subject to a fine of between $100 and $1000 and/or up to 60 days in jail. This is a freaking tragedy!

kross8

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2016
    stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
    Sad and ironic that PA houses the Liberty Bell, a symbol of our independence from an oppressive government.
    imagine spreading tinkerbell pics all over facebook with captions about the new govt in PA
    once a grand Liberty Bell has been corrupted into a tinkerbell at best. welcome to the land of corruption and taxation.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2013
    Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
    Still shaking my head. They put some real teeth in this bill. Not only hitting us with the 40% tax but even more they are PROTECTING that tax from attacks at every angle. Overnight (well, looks like Oct. 1st), DIY will be for all practical purposes BOOTLEGGING. According to this act, any person who possesses untaxed liquid will be subject to a fine of between $100 and $1000 and/or up to 60 days in jail. This is a freaking tragedy!
    And now things start getting very real. I hope folks are willing to fight back...

kross8

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2016
    We are losing ground almost every day.
    :(
    every day the FDA spends on 'controlling' vaping,, is a day many pharma companies are not getting their stuff tested/reviewed.......so,, if your sick,, dont think any drug co will be able to help you.

govt vape taxes for golf carts..........we could get pretty creative about some of these slogans ,,, put them on bumper stickers/t-shirts and facebook/twitter.

kross8

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 20, 2016
    I have a good friend who has two locations here in PA ( good prophets) this insanity breaks my heart/and makes me angry at the same time ......Atlas is Shrugging........
    i would be mad as you know what if i were them,, but thats a lot of stress on them,, easier to just move out of state.

Reactions: bnrkwest

Verb

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 26, 2014
    Eastern, PA, USA

The way I read it, you could still DIY for yourself (40% of $0 is $0) and give it away. Though the later is a bit grey. Their definition of sale includes gift, but under the penalties section for unlicensed sale it clearly states "for profit".

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 16, 2015
    elsewhere
    i would be mad as you know what if i were them,, but thats a lot of stress on them,, easier to just move out of state.
    Just load up all your vape stuff, drive to another state and put it in a storage unit until you find another location or sell it all back to your former store.
    Know anyone in a neighboring state you trust really well?
    Sell it all to them on consignment and they will pay you as they sell it. Back to you of course. Their selling price will be exactly what you sold it to them for. This last part will of course not be mentioned in any paperwork.

Last edited:

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 16, 2015
    elsewhere
    Yep vape shops in neighboring states should come to the aid of their PA vape shops in this time of need.
    And act as an unofficial holding agent for the PA vape shops inventory.

When the tax guys show up you have paperwork showing that your inventory was sold prior to the bill implementation date.

swampergene

ECF Veteran
    Mar 9, 2014
    Slatington, PA, USA
    The way I read it, you could still DIY for yourself (40% of $0 is $0) and give it away. Though the later is a bit grey. Their definition of sale includes gift, but under the penalties section for unlicensed sale it clearly states "for profit".

It's so much mumbo jumbo but section 1207A(a) clearly allows them to nail "any person" who possesses untaxed tobacco products and their definition of an electronic cigarettes extends to any liquid that is used in a vape product.

Reactions: bnrkwest

MikeE3

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 23, 2011
    Skippack, PA
    It's so much mumbo jumbo but section 1207A(a) clearly allows them to nail "any person" who possesses untaxed tobacco products and their definition of an electronic cigarettes extends to any liquid that is used in a vape product.

Yep ... it appears that I could be fined or go to jail for our collection of vape gear and the 10 years of nic in our freezer. As angry as I am, my wife and I are OK, but I feel so bad for the folks not in our position and even more so for the folks who will never get the chance to kick cigs with vaping. The PA legislators signed a death knoll not only for vape shops but for people too.

Vandal

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2009
    NE Ohio
    My sister and I had planned on spending time in PA, most likely in Philadelphia. I have only ever passed through PA and thought it was beautiful. I wanted to go spend some days being a tourist. Now I think we will not go there. What will they do with out-of-towners that are vaping and have no tax papers? I don't feel like being rousted with a chance I could go to jail. Therefore, PA will have to do without our tourist dollars.

The Cradle of Liberty indeed. I am so disappointed.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 6, 2011
    Somewhere out there
    Good grief!!! :shock:

Reactions: Tommy-Chi
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread