Upgrade help

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyb149

Dec 14, 2018
Hey everyone, I am pretty new to vaping but it has helped me to drop analogs from my life. YAY!! I started with a cheapo pod system and upgraded to a pockex sub ohm pen but i now want something with more variable control over wattage and air flow. I just dont know enough about makes and models and would like some imput. I would prefer a tank system rather than a dripper. What mods do you guys like. All advice is appreciated

Reactions: Hawise
Hey
Before you get into the world of complicated vaping you should start to learn the basics. Do you want to make DIY coils? Then start with a Advken Manta RTA. It has a big deck and is easy to build on.
For a mod you can choose anything you want. It should just have at least 80W and not a built in battery. Just choose how many 18650/20700/21700 batteries you want to have in your mod. If you are satisfied with the wattage and battery life of one battery, go for one. If you need more batteries and more watts, take an other mod but remember that mods get bigger if you need more batteries ;)
I suggest you to buy a Wismec Rx Gen3 dual if you want a cheap and compact 2 battery mod. If you want some style try the Voopoo Drag 2. If you want a shockproof device have a look at the Geekvape Aegis.

Cheers ^^

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
... now want something with more variable control over wattage and air flow. I just dont know enough about makes and models and would like some input. I would prefer a tank system rather than a dripper. What mods do you guys like. All advice is appreciated
1. Avoid SMOK mods. Poor quality control, cheap parts, nonexistant company support.

2. Read my Good Starter Setups for a Beginner Vaper. If any questions, report back.

3. What's your price range? You can get a very decent setup for under $60. With a bit more money invested than that, you generally get better construction and quality control that will be more reliable and durable over time, and a better chipset that may be more battery efficient and dependable.

4. You don't necessarily need a 100 - 200 watt mod if you will only be vaping at 20 - 30 watts. A high wattage mod generally uses at least two 18650 batteries or a higher mAh internal battery, which will last longer per charge, but these mods will be larger and heavier than a single battery, lower wattage mod, and not as "pocket friendly".

5. Tanks: Choice is basically between a low wattage, mouth-to-lung tank; or a higher wattage, sub-ohm coil direct-to-lung tank. Description of both are in the above blog.

6. I frequently recommend the Innokin Kroma - Zenith tank starter kit, or the Geekvape Mini Aegis - Cerberus tank starter kit. I plan on giving my daughter the Mini Aegis mod with an Innokin Zenith tank for Christmas.* The Mini Aegis is waterproof and shockproof, and the Zenith tank is for MTL vapers (which she is). The Cerberus tank is more of a DTL tank.

*You don't have to buy a "starter kit" consisting of a mod and tank made by the same manufacturer. You can use a mod or tank made by different manufacturers if you wish.​

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
@Baditude I think i will go with the innokin kroma and see how that goes. Can i use different tanks with that or do i have to use the one that comes with it
Yes, you can use different tanks on the Kroma. The Zenith tank that comes with the Kroma starter kit is a great tank, however.

Reactions: mikeyb149

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
@Baditude I think i will go with the innokin kroma and see how that goes. Can i use different tanks with that or do i have to use the one that comes with it
You can use different tanks with it. The mod itself is ok but of somewhat limited life due to it being a sealed mod and having a MicroUSB2 connector. It should work though. The real prize of the kroma kit is the zenith atty. the mod is just sort of what it comes with. It’s usable though

Reactions: Baditude

Jet Knight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Gotham
Just an update. Visited my local shop and after trying a few mods i ended up leaving with an obs cube. I just liked the way it felt as i was using it. Also got some wicked glazed donut juice haha

My recent visits my local vape shops have been unpleasant and I avoid them. There have been some vape lounges though that I visited which was informative and had pleasant folks. Vape shops usually try to sell stuff in their best interest and not the buyer. Hopefully, things work out well with you. The above suggestions were informative and good choices for a new vapor.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
My recent visits my local vape shops have been unpleasant and I avoid them. There have been some vape lounges though that I visited which was informative and had pleasant folks. Vape shops usually try to sell stuff in their best interest and not the buyer. Hopefully, things work out well with you. The above suggestions were informative and good choices for a new vapor.

Vape shops can vary in inventory and employee knowledge. If you find a good one you'll absorb some knowledge and get to see the new hardware up close. I'm fortunate to have Stormy's Vapor Cellar about a mile from the house. Carolyn and her sister are long time ECF members who started the business in their basement and now have several locations in middle Georgia.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Still don’t know what the difference is between a vape lounge and a vape shop. Couches?

ArazelEternal

• Mar 19, 2019
    Madison, WI
    Still don’t know what the difference is between a vape lounge and a vape shop. Couches?
    I would think it would be something like that. I know one shop near me has a couple tables and a couch for people to sit on. In the few times Ive been in there though I have yet to see anyone just sitting and lounging in there. That doesnt necessarily mean anything though. They probably are more like a cigar bar where people go to hang out and smoke and chat together than just a cigar shop (as a way of comparison) where you only go to buy.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    Probably means couches. Below are images of the vape shop lounge that I worked at a few years ago in Cincinnati. Unfortunately, this particular facility no longer exists. It was located in a suburban strip mall, and the owner of the mall decided to tear down the mall and sell the property off.

01-37.jpg

02-41.jpg

04-40.jpg

easgate2-big.jpg

full

Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 12, 2010
    MN USA
    Probably means couches. Below are images of the vape shop lounge that I worked at a few years ago in Cincinnati. Unfortunately, this particular facility no longer exists. It was located in a strip mall, and the owner of the mall decided to tear down the mall and sell the property off.

01-37.jpg

02-41.jpg

04-40.jpg

easgate2-big.jpg
    That’s too bad. Awful nice looking tasting bar for one.
    Personally the only places I’ve seen that sell vape stuff and don’t have couches are mostly either tobacco stores or head shops.
    A “lounge” IMHO should also have food and beer/wine and entertainment or something. That’s what “lounge” means around here anyway.

• Love
    Reactions: Baditude
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread