USA: Is Now the Time to Stockpile? What is your strategy for when the time does come?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Calveezzzy

Verified Member
Feb 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Did I join the vape game too late? Do I need to start stockpiling stuff right away now? I don't think there's any way they can regulate banning all of the e-cig stuff. Why ban e-cigs when you can ban cigarettes? I don't see them banning swisher sweets, as these are used as a "drug delivery device" more than they're used as regular cigars.

Petrodus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Midwest
Did I join the Vape game too late? Do I need to start stockpiling stuff right away now? I don't think there's any way they can regulate banning all of the e-cig stuff. Why ban e-cigs when you can ban cigarettes? I don't see them banning swisher sweets, as these are used as a "drug delivery device" more than they're used as regular cigars.
The FDA will be releasing their proposed regulations for e-cigarettes in April.
Speculation is they will ban newer models, ban bottled e-juice,
and limit the levels of nicotine.

You might want to review threads in the Legislation forum: LINK

The Wiz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 14, 2009
Whiskeyville USA
If they banned ecigs, would you stockpile?
One of the longest running threads in this forum
started Jan 2009 and still "Hot" ... Click Here
Thanks Petro................Couldn't remember if I posted in that original thread way back when!

I did! LOL! No longer worried about it anymore.

:)Wiz!

k3vin

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2010
OK USA
www.vaperstek.org
I will be growing my own tobacco in the midst of big tobaccos farms for extraction, and u will see me bootlegging liquid nic.. Lol( just kidding) but as far as gear is concerned it will always be readily available in some form or another.. You can get DIY mods from some vendors, so maybe buy one, then when u need another just go down to radio shack and buy parts for another..

As far as nic, I would imagine extracting isn't too difficult( from what I have read) although it could be a bit dangerous depending on percentage of nicotine in final product.

I am hoping that they do nothing, but since we know they wil, hopefully only regulations of some sort, and a tax on the nic that is reasonable. ( best case scenario I believe)
This is only my opinion since I don't follow FDA as close as I probably should..

metropolitan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 10, 2013
new york city
nicotine is already a controlled substance, and it should be. it is addictive and in pure forms it is poison.
if cigarettes have not been banned i feel safe that e-cigs & e-liquid will not be either. there's no compelling reason for any governmental group to restrict e-cigs anymore than regular tobacco cigarettes.
something to keep in mind is that if you remember both nicotine gum and nicotine patches used to be prescription only, but nowadays they are over the counter products. the FDA changed its policies to make them easier to get, not harder, so there's no history of the FDA being more restrictive on nicotine alternatives than it is on cigarettes. in NYC you can actually get free nicotine gum and patches from the city. they are literally giving them away.
there is also no special tax on nicotine gum or patches and the FDA can't impose taxes. the vast majority of the taxes on tobacco are state taxes. that's why there's such a wide difference in cigarette prices in different states.
at worse i suspect any restrictions will be similar to tobacco --meaning warning labels, proof of age when buying and marketing that does not reach kids.

Last edited:

PhreakySTS9

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2011
Shayol Ghul, The Great Blight
nicotine is already a controlled substance, and it should be. it is addictive and in pure forms it is poison.
if cigarettes have not been banned i feel safe that e-cigs & e-liquid will not be either. there's no compelling reason for any governmental group to restrict e-cigs anymore than regular tobacco cigarettes.
something to keep in mind is that if you remember both nicotine gum and nicotine patches used to be prescription only, but nowadays they are over the counter products. the FDA changed its policies to make them easier to get, not harder, so there's no history of the FDA being more restrictive on nicotine alternatives than it is on cigarettes. in NYC you can actually get free nicotine gum and patches from the city. they are literally giving them away.
there is also no special tax on nicotine gum or patches and the FDA can't impose taxes. the vast majority of the taxes on tobacco are state taxes. that's why there's such a wide difference in cigarette prices in different states.
at worse i suspect any restrictions will be similar to tobacco --meaning warning labels, proof of age when buying and marketing that does not reach kids.
Yes but unfortunately this is part of the problem. Big Pharma stands to lose a lot of money in their NRT sales because patches, gum etc simply do not work for most people. Ecigs are bad for the BP agenda and profits, soooo being your typical corrupt, weight carrying American industry, their motives are to kill the competition.

Koman

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 7, 2010
lv
Did I join the Vape game too late? Do I need to start stockpiling stuff right away now? I don't think there's any way they can regulate banning all of the e-cig stuff. Why ban e-cigs when you can ban cigarettes? I don't see them banning swisher sweets, as these are used as a "drug delivery device" more than they're used as regular cigars.

I don't think there's such a thing as too late.

mostlyclassics

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
They will never outlaw batteries that are used primarily for flashlights . . .

Not to mention those darlings of the Obama Administration's green "investments": electric cars. The Teslas, for instance, use about a gazillion 18650 batteries each: Car and Driver review of the Tesla model S and see at about 1:45.

aubergine

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
MD
Did I join the Vape game too late? Do I need to start stockpiling stuff right away now?

Cal, all I can tell you is that I started right around the time of the big FDA/ Leon thing, and I and everyone else was going apocalyptic. And here we are, vaping merrily away, years later. Anything can happen, and we have to keep fighting for sure, but there's a ever-larger strong, vocal presence pushing back, and I think also enough DIY and generally vape-savvy people around to support a vigorous underground if it ever did come to that. Where there's a will there's a way.
I've always followed the legislative news in here closely, and I've panicked enough times around this issue to know that too much optimism is very foolish, and complacency is deadly, but constant doom-criers on all subjects also just kinda do what they do. Alla time.
That said, a barrel of nic solution in the basement could come in handy some day. :)

Txrider

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
I am a new vaper. I have read a few posts here and there about how the FDA under the Obama Administration is "looking into" "regulating" PVAs, calling them "drug-delivery devices" and saying that "there is no proof they aren't just as dangerous as cigarettes"

I don't know enough about this, nor do I have enough time to figure this out. My question is simple:
  • are they in the process of determining regulations RIGHT NOW,
  • or are they still formulating the framework for which they will begin to determine regulations?

If it is the former, then it is absolutely the time for me to stockpile: remember what happened when Obama and his FDA cronies began "looking into" flavored cigarettes under the family/safety tobacco prevention nonsense? Surely they are not as stupid as they come off and will outright ban them. But maybe they are. Instead of hoping for the worst, if one has the money, they might as well be proactive.

If it is the latter, then stockpiling isn't necessary, but if one has the money, as I do, then he should go about and stockpile for the hell of it.

_____

I'm still in the stage where I haven't even found an e-cigarette I like. Finiti locked you into their flavors. DSE-048 required too much effort to activate the automatic battery. eRoll kills all taste of flavoring. Over the next month I'm going to buy several, such as the J306, J510, JeGo, D-810, D-910, etc. and find a model or two that actually works for me.

I also don't know how I would stockpile and would like some suggestions.

Lets say a battery and an atomizer lasts a person 3 months, and they want to stockpile 60 years worth. Does it even make sense to buy 240 batteries and atomizers for storage over 60 years? Will they degrade within that time even if they are airsealed? I have several kilograms of pipe tobacco airsealed multiple times over which will be safe for centuries if kept out of heat. Will the same work for batteries and atomizers?

How about nicotine juice, flavoring and PG?

I realize that a lot of people on this forum believe that Obama is a great guy and would never outlaw access to nicotine base and PG, or never tax the hell out of it. I respect your opinion. Regardless, I am paranoid of all politicians and would just rather err on the side of paranoia.

How, if I have money, should I go about stockpiling? What would you do?

Is anyone else thinking of stockpiling (USA only)?

I use rebuildable atomizers, and most battery mods use regular batteries you can buy from many places, so I am set for life for equipment basically. They cannot ban wick material or coil wire, nor batteries, the fda has no jurisdiction to do so and they are mostly used for other things, millions of other things.

The only thing to fear is nicotine juice availability. Even that doesn't scare me though I would stock up if regulations were announced. Generally you would get months of notice so keep paying attention.

They cannot ban food flavorings, so you just would buy unflavored, buy your flavoring separately and add it yourself.

Even if they banned all juice over say 4mg/ml PG base is basically an alcohol and all you would have to do is let it evaporate off to the point the juice became the strength you want.

None of this would even cross the mind of those wanting to ban it.

Even pure nicotine is sold and used for other purposes, and I am confident I could get my own at 99% purity from lab chemical suppliers, but it would require much care to handle that pure a nicotine safely.

Txrider

ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2009
Did I join the Vape game too late? Do I need to start stockpiling stuff right away now?

Cal, all I can tell you is that I started right around the time of the big FDA/ Leon thing, and I and everyone else was going apocalyptic. And here we are, vaping merrily away, years later. Anything can happen, and we have to keep fighting for sure, but there's a ever-larger strong, vocal presence pushing back, and I think also enough DIY and generally vape-savvy people around to support a vigorous underground if it ever did come to that. Where there's a will there's a way.
I've always followed the legislative news in here closely, and I've panicked enough times around this issue to know that too much optimism is very foolish, and complacency is deadly, but constant doom-criers on all subjects also just kinda do what they do. Alla time.
That said, a barrel of nic solution in the basement could come in handy some day. :)

Yeah, I stockpiled almost a years worth back when they started seizing containers full of e-cigs, I won't jump that gun again, especially since we have made plenty enough noise to shake the FDA's tree, as well as a couple nice court wins from the manufacturers. The way they are doing it now we will have a proposed regulation, then public comments, then possibly more changes to the regulation before it is final, followed by some time before the regulations take effect. So for me I'll just make sure I pay attention so I will know when that time comes, if it comes to stock up again.

Also the FDA is now hands off the actual e-cig device, they lost that one in court, {edit} The nicotine juice would be the issue because that's all they have jurisdiction over..

Last edited by a moderator:

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA

I was around in 2009 when the same fears where running through the forum and the same "we gotta stock up 'cause there coming for us" was going on.

If someone is determined to get e-liquid, the only thing they can really regulate, it would be easy enough to get the liquid from overseas. Stocking up is nothing more then letting irrational fears run amuck. It's to bad we have the same type of people pushing the same irrational fears now as we had 4 years ago.

Last edited:

Paulette

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Florida
While I am very optimistic that we will have adequate sources and I am "hoping" the FDA does not do anything stupid -- I have also protected myself. I know that whatever the FDA does (or considers doing), we will have lot of time to react; however, I do not want to be on some waiting list for nicotine because everyone else is buying it (which, by the way, is happening now at Wizard Labs and MyFreedomSmokes). I now have 375ml of 100mg, which vaping at about 4ml a day and only 4mg strength -- this will last me about 6.3 years. And at less than $50.00 -- it is a small price to pay for my piece of mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread