Uuuug... Another plastic bottle question

Status
Not open for further replies.

avpx1

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2015
Well, I just found 3 liters of 100 mg Throat-Hit Nic from Vapers Tek purchased in 2016. Of course they are still in their original plastic bottles. Uuuuug! The bottles are a not a hard plastic but instead pliable and appear to block light as they are a very dark brown color and on the bottom is stamped PETE 1.
What do you folks think? Keep em or chuck em?
It is a lot of NIC, at least for me... hate to check em, but if you think it's the way to go then so be it.

Thanks

avpx1

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2015
It was stored in my kitchen freezer of all places. Not even in a dedicated freezer but at least kept in a frozen state. I'll grab a thermometer and see what the freezer is set to. I haven't opened any of the bottles but I'll open one and take a look at the color and then mix a little up as an unflavored juice and try a vape on it and report back. More to come.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
It was stored in my kitchen freezer of all places. Not even in a dedicated freezer but at least kept in a frozen state. I'll grab a thermometer and see what the freezer is set to. I haven't opened any of the bottles but I'll open one and take a look at the color and then mix a little up as an unflavored juice and try a vape on it and report back. More to come.

If it was stored in the freezer you're most likely OK. Keep us posted.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Nic base in PG or VG will contract in a freezer...not expand like water does when frozen. That's likely why the plastic bottles are sort of concave now.

One thing you need to know is to WAIT until each bottle fully comes to room temperature before you open it. Otherwise, condensation will form in it! Once they're at room temperature, then you should decant the nic base into glass bottles with polycone lined caps and poke them back in the freezer. Depending on what size bottles you break it down to...you'll want to leave a smaller bottle (maybe 60-120mL) out of the freezer to use as a "working" bottle if you plan to DIY fairly soon.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
As a note... I just found 2 more. Wow 5 liters! I must have been on a tare about prepping at the time. Also a bit embarrassing in that I obviously only clean the bottom of my freezer every 5 years. :(
But upon inspection all the bottles are concaved as if they were vacuum packed so hats off to Vapers Tek.

Damn... How many Bags of Fish Sticks or Stouffer's Lasagna does it take to Hide 5 Liters of Nicotine Base.

:blink:

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Well, I just found 3 liters of 100 mg Throat-Hit Nic from Vapers Tek purchased in 2016. Of course they are still in their original plastic bottles. Uuuuug! The bottles are a not a hard plastic but instead pliable and appear to block light as they are a very dark brown color and on the bottom is stamped PETE 1.
What do you folks think? Keep em or chuck em?
It is a lot of NIC, at least for me... hate to check em, but if you think it's the way to go then so be it.

Thanks
Hola,
I have been using the same TH nic (FEB2016) stored in the factory (PETE1) bottles since 2016. ($25.00 per was an insane value!)
Two liters went into a kitchen freezer, one was opened and has been in use for the last five years, the second was opened around the beginning of 2021.

The working bottle is allowed to come to room temp before use.
After use, the air is squeezed out and the bottle capped, wrapped and returned to the freezer.

I mix using 100ml of nicotine per batch and noticed little difference between the last 100ml in the first liter and the first 100ml in the "fresh", second.

Perhaps the second liter is a bit smoother having not been exposed to air and light twice a year. :facepalm:

IMO, the nicotine tastes and smells and acts as expected.
It has not changed nor degraded that I can observe.
I'm gonna use it up. :headbang:

HTH
I

avpx1

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2015
Hola,
I have been using the same TH nic (FEB2016) stored in the factory (PETE1) bottles since 2016. ($25.00 per was an insane value!)
Two liters went into a kitchen freezer, one was opened and has been in use for the last five years, the second was opened around the beginning of 2021.

After use, the air is squeezed out and the bottle capped, wrapped and returned to the freezer.

I mix using 100ml of nicotine per batch and noticed little difference between the last 100ml in the first liter and the first 100ml in the "fresh", second.

Perhaps the second liter is a bit smoother having not been exposed to air and light twice a year. :facepalm:

HTH
I

That's great to hear! Hoping I have a similar experience.:)

I just ordered argon gas and Boston round glass bottles. Arriving in 2 days. I'm going to wait until they arrive and then open up the NIC and decant. I'll report back to you all on what I find.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Hola,

HTH
I

I had one 6 oz bottle stored in a back corner of the fridge that I forgot about after bottling all my 100ml nic base in glass and freezing it all. The one in the fridge turned an a nice pale orange tint over time, but flavor wasn't affected as far as I could tell. I vaped it early on and enjoyed it.

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I'm worried the caps might melt/crack and/or water might get stuck inside the cap's cones.

If you are careful, the polycone inserts in the caps can be taken out of the caps. If you are not careful, the little post inside the cap that holds the cone in will snap and it will never hold the cone in after that.

I didn't wash my caps, I just washed my bottles. No need for sterilization IMHO.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    I didn't wash my caps, I just washed my bottles.
    A few good rinses with hot water is all I do to clean my bottles and caps.
    No need for sterilization IMHO.
    Agreed, because a mixture of VG, PG, and nicotine isn't particularly conducive to the growth of microbes. In fact, it's anti-microbial.

The only reason to do anything more than a good rinse is if you have flavoring residues that just won't come out. That's a problem I've never had with the flavorings I use, but I have had flavor remenants that were very hard to get rid of in some pre-owned squonk mods that I purchased.

avpx1

ECF Veteran
    Jan 22, 2015
    Hi All,
    OK, I've finally opened up one of the bottles now that my bostons and argon arrived.
    Below are the pictures. I suppose the Vapers Tek NIC looks clear enough. It is tinted compared against freshly opened NIC from MFS purchased in 2016. The MFS NIC was promptly rebottled and has been in a dedicated freezer since day 1 so it has the advantage of having been properly stored.
    I've made a batch of unflavored from both the MFS and Vapors Tek NIC. Ratio:20\80, Strength:3mg with 2% EM added to make it palatable for me. I honestly can't really taste a difference other than the Vapers Tek seems to be smoother. Actually a bit more enjoyable. Both are vaped in identical RTAs with new identical coils at the same wattage.
    If it somehow went bad I'm not sure I would know how the taste would change. I'm guessing it would taste like tobacco?
    I guess my new concern is that being stored in plastic, albeit Pete 1 bottles, that maybe there has been chemicals leached from the plastic.
    Any thoughts on this?
    Pictures:)

Vapers Tek NIC Purchased 2016 stored in original plastic bottle in kitchen freezer:
    IMG_1636.JPG

IMG_1636.JPG

MFS NIC Purchased 2016 rebottled to boston rounds, stored in dedicated freezer:

IMG_1641.JPG

IMG_1640.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1638.JPG
      IMG_1638.JPG
      1.5 MB · Views: 4

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I guess my new concern is that being stored in plastic, albeit Pete 1 bottles, that maybe there has been chemicals leached from the plastic.
    Any thoughts on this?

If it doesn't taste funny when vaped or make you feel sick, only other way to tell is to get it analyzed.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread