Status
Not open for further replies.

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
Coolidge, Arizona, United States
Anyone with a SS Vamo chime in...

The very top cap (the drip well section) is a textured feel. I can run my fingernail over it and feel it.
The middle for the display, and the tube are smooth.
The bottom tube for the 18650 extension also has the textured feel.

Is that normal?

The color seems the same..... just kind of weird.

unloaded

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 2, 2011
SW. Indiana
Each piece is probably turned on different machine. Tool sharpness, feedrate and rpms are probably different on each one. Same reason some of the caps won't fit on the short tube. Tolerances and QC take a backseat to speed and cost. It's just part of the game if you are playing with Chinese toys. I accept that fact when dealing with their stuff. I also play with the higher end toys too, but I expect more out of them and have to pay for it.both have their advantages just depends on what's more important to you. If you are expecting Greek/German/USA quality at China prices you are just setting yourself up to be disappointed.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
Anyone with a SS Vamo chime in...

The very top cap (the drip well section) is a textured feel. I can run my fingernail over it and feel it.
The middle for the display, and the tube are smooth.
The bottom tube for the 18650 extension also has the textured feel.

Is that normal?

The color seems the same..... just kind of weird.
Both of my Vamos have that same "texture" except on the middle tube, the one with the display and buttons. One of my Vamos has a crease running the length of the middle tube, neatly bisecting the left button and the display (I think it gives it character, but I would be appalled to see something like that on an American made APV). The texture is actually tooling marks, and is caused by turning the tubes on a lathe too quickly, or by moving the cutting tool too quickly. Like unloaded said, it's all about "speed and cost," when it comes to Chinese APV's.

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
Yea, imo this SS steel one is alot better than the black chrome.
Not as bad on fingerprints, and the battery compartment seems better.
Plus it has the nicer spring.

It just took me off guard when I noticed the finish was different.
I almost thought I got a chrome device with a SS tube extension until I saw the top was the same texture...lol

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
Yea, I hear people having issues with the black chrome ones outer coating coming off. I have the regular chrome one and everything looks the same.

I was wondering for the people that have had a chrome one and a SS one, of they have noticed the threading on the tubes to be smoother? I hear the chrome ones are copper based, then coated in chrome. I figured the SS would have better threading than copper base would.

Shahzh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 3, 2012
Malaysia
My SS model from Health Cabin has consistent brushing on all the sections. The manufacturer has little motivation to step up QC control if VAMOs that aren't up to snuff are not returned.

You're very lucky then...mine is from Healthcabin too. Also on the SS battery cap thread, I've put some silicone lube paste that I used on most of my flashlights...more smooth now then before.

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
You're very lucky then...mine is from Healthcabin too. Also on the SS battery cap thread, I've put some silicone lube paste that I used on most of my flashlights...more smooth now then before.

Health Cabin has a good reputation for customer service. Ask them to make it right for you. I think they are supposed to reopen today. Chinese New Year starts the 10th when China pretty much shuts down so you shouldn't dally on contacting them.

Azphat12

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2012
I got mine from VaporBank here in the US.
Ive ordered from Health Cabin before, but I always prefer staying within the US if possible.
Just feel more comfortable if I have issues and need to call them or return something.

I submitted a ticket at VaporBank and within 12hrs I had a reply. That was pretty quick for a response.
They said their entire shipment was similar to the one I got.
The Vamo works great. It remembers its settings that it is supposed too.
All the threading works, and the display is flush with the metal.

I was planning on re-finishing it anyway with more of a brushed look.
Just how to do it is where I am now....lol. I never did re-finish before.
Figure a certain grit sandpaper or sanding wheel.

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
It would be sweet to get the body shop to paint it candy blue with clear coat like all the classic low riders and whatnot. That would take the vamos look to a whole new level... it would scratch kinda easy though just like a car would. But it sure would look sweet.

I wonder what would be the best rout to go on painting one at home. Not just a rattle can job, but something really nice looking. I know they make resine style paints were you mix two parts together and they harden in like 30mins to an hour. They use then on like nitrogen towers that site outside and get super cold/hot over and over. Rated for like 10-30 years.

I'm kinda just rambling now, but I'm sure its crossed more than just my mind to maybe paint your vamo. A really good paint job on one would take a 30 doller looking vamo and turn it into a $100+ looking APV Mod.

Trick

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2012
Round Rock, Texas, United States
Just to add my two cents: My Vamo's similar. All the sections are subtly different from each other. With all the pieces assembled, it's definitely shinier on the section below the one with the button on it, and I can feel the grain on the top and bottom sections when I run a fingernail over them.

I just figured it's a result of how they're machined. At the price Vamo's go for, I can't really complain.

Last edited:

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
I'm kinda just rambling now, but I'm sure its crossed more than just my mind to maybe paint your vamo. A really good paint job on one would take a 30 doller looking vamo and turn it into a $100+ looking APV Mod.
I've done something similar on stainless steel. I painted it flat black first, then I painted it metallic silver. Then I carefully sanded down "high wear" spots (down to the metal) to give it a distressed look, then I painted the whole thing with two layers of clear coat. It gave it an old time "star wars" look and feel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread