Status
Not open for further replies.

Gummy Bare

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
San Diego, California
I've done something similar on stainless steel. I painted it flat black first, then I painted it metallic silver. Then I carefully sanded down "high wear" spots (down to the metal) to give it a distressed look, then I painted the whole thing with two layers of clear coat. It gave it an old time "star wars" look and feel.

That sounds awesome!!, post up a picture if you get a chance. I'd love to see it.

bizzyb0t

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2009
Denver CO, USA
twitter.com
The great thing about stainless steel, is that it wears beautifully. Steve Jobs was a fan of ss for the same reason. I just ordered a SS Vamo from smoktek.com and plan to use a Scotchbrite (green) scrubby pad to give it a slightly brushed look. I did the same thing to my iPod Touch Second Gen, after the stainless steel back got scuffed. Looked fantastic. Much better than a polished finish with scratches and scuffs.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
That sounds awesome!!, post up a picture if you get a chance. I'd love to see it.

Unfortunately, it was for a lightsaber hilt I built 8 years ago. I gave it to one of my cousins 2 years ago, so I'll ring him up and see if he'll bring it over the next time he comes up from AZ. Hopefully before he goes on deployment to Turkey.

daveinleics

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 8, 2011
England
Just got my SS Vamo today and like many have said there are some differences in the texture of different parts and for sure the finish is not perfect. It looks pretty nice though and I'm sure it is going to age better than the Chrome one. It cost just over $40 from HC, so I'd say it is outstanding value for a SS VW mod - at that price I was hardly expecting perfection!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread