Status
Not open for further replies.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
Haha thank you for calling me out! :) i will get on that today and only use my panasonic until the others come in! Another quick question.. Does a good charger effect the battery or does it just reduce charging time?

There are some crappy chargers that charge fast actually. A good charger will usually adjust the voltage to the battery depending on its current voltage. With recharging batteries, it's actually better if it's slower (as a general rule) as it stresses the battery less.

If you are looking for a good quality charger for not too much money, you can get the Nitecore i2 on Canadian Amazon for around CD$20 http://www.amazon.ca/Nitecore-i2-Intellicharge-Charger-Battery/dp/B0096U26QQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1414433437&sr=8-2&keywords=nitecore+intellicharger

There is also a 4 bay Nitecore for a bit more money (the i4) and a newer version of charger that has a digital screen called the D2 & D4. Of course there are other brands out there, I'd recommend heading over the candlepowerforums.com if you really want to research battery chargers and batteries.

Davey59

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Monroe WA
You can't use protected (ICR Li Ion) batteries in regulated mods. Besides, they are obsolete and considered dangerous.

What we recommend nowadays are IMR (safe chemistry) or newer hybrid batteries.

Pretty sure that is what I said? I did not say it was OK.

I am frankly amazed that this comes up so often.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
There are some crappy chargers that charge fast actually. A good charger will usually adjust the voltage to the battery depending on its current voltage. With recharging batteries, it's actually better if it's slower (as a general rule) as it stresses the battery less.

If you are looking for a good quality charger for not too much money, you can get the Nitecore i2 on Canadian Amazon for around CD$20 http://www.amazon.ca/Nitecore-i2-Intellicharge-Charger-Battery/dp/B0096U26QQ/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1414433437&sr=8-2&keywords=nitecore+intellicharger

There is also a 4 bay Nitecore for a bit more money (the i4) and a newer version of charger that has a digital screen called the D2 & D4. Of course there are other brands out there, I'd recommend heading over the candlepowerforums.com if you really want to research battery chargers and batteries.

Agreed.

I have a Nitecore myself and it's been working fine. And it shuts off at exactly 4.2v every time. I also have a small one-bay Xtar and it works great.

Warpigs

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
USA
You can't use protected (ICR Li Ion) batteries in regulated mods. Besides, they are obsolete and considered dangerous.

What we recommend nowadays are IMR (safe chemistry) or newer hybrid batteries.

Why does it say on the altsmoke site were I bought my Silver Bullet to NOT USE un-proteced batteries?

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Why does it say on the altsmoke site were I bought my Silver Bullet to NOT USE un-proteced batteries?

I really don't know--these instructions must be very old and nobody bothered to update them.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/blogs/baditude/4848-9-battery-basics-mods-imr-protected.html

PROTECTED or IMR BATTERY: ​Which is best for your application?

IMR Li-Mn. Lithium manganese batteries. Also called "high drain", "safe chemistry", "unprotected".

These are used in regulated mods that use buck boost circuitry to achieve variable voltage-wattage, but they are now also recommended for single voltage mechanical mods as a safer alternative to protected Li-Ion batteries.

See also Roly's post:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/ecf-library/129569-rechargeable-batteries.html#post2029353

Warpigs

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
USA

Warpigs

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
USA
:blush:

Altsmoke should really update that information on their website. The SB is one of the oldest mechs on the market--and still rocks! :)

Yeah I love mine. It's indestructable, could run over it with my car and it wouldn't even dent I bet. I won't try though :) But yeah I want to get a backup, if the MPV3 is outragous pricewise, I'll just pick me up a MPV2 in a few months after MPV3 is out. Might be able to snag a MVP2 for 20-30 bucks :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread