The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

VAMO Variable wattage mod chrome stinks, KILL THE BLING!

Discussion in 'Cosmetic Mods' started by Rnoserious, Dec 4, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Rnoserious

Rnoserious Unregistered Supplier ECF Veteran

May 26, 2012
    Bethlehem, Georgia
    And the zmax ( oled ) model is on its way(should be here in the next few days)

And rest assured, ill have it in pieces in the first 24 hours.

2. mrelwood

mrelwood Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 25, 2012
    Finland, Europe.
    Thank you for the great video! My plan is to drill the hole (for eGo skirted clearos) in the top cap (around the eGo threads), just enough so a 15mm Kanger T3 would fit. Currently the outside diameter of the "well" only fits a 14mm eGo skirt.

Can the threaded part be removed from the top cap in a sensible manner once the top cap is off of the body?

The top cap on my Vamo didn't as much as think about moving around when trying to rock it around, and I wouldn't want to scuff ugly marks on the surface of this new baby just to find out the threads are welded to the top cap, or something like that.

Thanks!

3. Rnoserious

May 26, 2012
    Bethlehem, Georgia
    I " potted" mine with hot glue.. So i cannot tell.. I have another incoming, ill do this modification to it, with video when it gets here.

4. Azphat12

Azphat12 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Hey guys

I have the black chrome version and want to get that off.
    I was thinking of a fully black (something lightly textured) finish... or even a brushed aluminum look

Where would I start?

I have no issues dismantling the device....but not sure how to get the finish off and then go about re-finishing.

5. igloo

igloo Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 25, 2012
    Idaho
    Has anyone tried rhino lining this mod after removal of chrome plating or before that stuff sticks to anything. If not ill powdercoat mine cant wait to get it to take it apart and refinish it so its one of a kind, also was thinking that rhino lining the mod would add protection also nothing will scuff rhino lining since its orginal intent was to line truck beds. Just a thought since I have quite a bit of experience with rhino lining.

6. tiggerrts

tiggerrts ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Texas
    People have reported that the batteries move inside the tube. All batteries are not the same, there is a .2 mm +/- to heigth and width allowed for in the Vamo chamber. Take some tape and wrap it around the battery once and test its fit, if it is still loose add another layer of tape and check. Repeat until the battery goes in snug, no more shaking battery here anymore.

7. Dieseler

Dieseler ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Illinois
    Have you taken the zmax apart yet ?

8. mrelwood

Jan 25, 2012
    Finland, Europe.
    The problem with Vamo is the bottom battery spring, it is way too soft for the usage. I suppose a Hot Spring could be good, but due to my distant location I bought a 200 part spring set for 8€ from a local store that sells affordable tools and stuff. The spring is nice and firm with every battery combination, and even fit the bottom cap perfectly without modification.

Some even reported better performance with a replacement spring, as the loose string might've caused extra resistance to the circuit.

Taping the battery will help the sideways movement, but the battery connection might still get interrupted while the bettery moves lengthwise.

9. Azphat12

Azphat12 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I cant for the life of me get the top cap off of this Vamo.
    I tried channel locks and vice grips. It isnt coming off.....

Anything I am missing?

10. mrelwood

Jan 25, 2012
    Finland, Europe.
    Me neither. Torched it hot, bent it both in a vice and with large pliers literally as hard as I can, but it doesn't even think about moving. Every hint is welcome!

11. peraspera

peraspera Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 2, 2012
    midwest
    Solvents like acetone, WD40, or vinegar come to mind. If the electronics are safe from the heat apply heat and then ice.

12. cptnyehy0

cptnyehy0 Full Member Verified Member

Dec 8, 2010
    DC
    Have you thought about trying Plastidip?
    I like the idea of the gun kote you used, i just see the plastidip as a nice cover you can try out, if you dont like it, peel it off. It comes in a bunch of different colors and works pretty well, I've used it on the battery cover of my phone so that it grips in the car instead of sliding all over.
    Also, I see that you added an extra vent hole, this was how i actually stumbled upon this thread, could you elaborate on the size of vent you drilled and its location? I was a little concerned to see only a bottom cap vent on the Vamo and no other safety, I was hoping someone had milled out some vents in the extender and battery tubes... I guess ill have to see how hard it is when my vamo gets in.

13. Rnoserious

May 26, 2012
    Bethlehem, Georgia
    My top cap came apart pretty easily (maybe the chinese arent that consistent with Their assemblies??

I would tap gently with a BFH, (big ---- hammer) it is a press fit, and will come apart, i promise!

The plastic dip idea is pretty cool.

The vent holes i drilled are 1/16 inch and i drilled them in the top battery housing, as to allow a venting area at the positive post area of the mod.

I think i answered the questions.

14. mrelwood

Jan 25, 2012
    Finland, Europe.
    They sure aren't! The battery section press fitting is loose enough to require pushing back every now and then, but this top cap... Dang!

Leaned the top cap seam against the edge of an anvil and hit the top cap in an angle, secured my big@$$ pliers in the anvil to get more leverage for twisting, torched the cap hot and freeze sprayed the body to help... No-thing. It could be made of solid steel reinforced with a hypermatter condensed from a supernova core for all I know.

Seriously, I think I'll go through the material itself before it separates.

15. Rnoserious

May 26, 2012
    Bethlehem, Georgia
  16. PepNYC

PepNYC Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 16, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    I told ya Ryno. You thought I was bull.....tin ya brotha. Those top caps are no joke to get off. Pull, pry, bang, twist, bash, heat, freeze....and still nothing.

You are correct though. Consistency is definitely not a trait of the Chinese manufacturing process.

17. xpen

xpen Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Italy
    Just wondering about locking the cap in a vice, then fiddling with the body of the vamo... if anything you should get a good leverage.

but most probably the condensed supermatter won't budge, either :)

hmmm, I'd rather wait some more time before trying to open my vamo... even though its chrome finish (normal chrome, mind you, not the gunmetal version) is already vanishing on the fire button and the area below it, and the brass underneath begins to show thru.

for the record: about 1 month of use.

18. Koman

Koman Moved On ECF Veteran

Jan 7, 2010
    lv
    Plastidip sounds interesting. You learn something new every day.

19. Deebo

Deebo Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 28, 2012
    Kentucky
    Looking to get rnoserious to coat my vamo. One 4 oz. size of coating will do two vamos, but I only have one that I am going to get coated. Cost of the 4 oz size of cerakote is about $40 shipped. Anyone want to split the cost of the coating? He doesn't charge any labor, just the price of the coating so you can get your mod done for $20. I'm not really picky on color, so I am open to that. Check out their colors and let me know.

Cerakote Coatings

20. nicv827

nicv827 Full Member Verified Member

May 28, 2010
    in the woods of CT
    If you are still serious about this - im very interested in getting this done... actually can't wait to do something with my VAMO. I love the way it vapes, especially the vw, but i cant stand the chrome finish. its slippery, fingerprint magnet and just doesnt feel right.

Anyone else this picky?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.