VAMO Variable wattage mod chrome stinks, KILL THE BLING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rnoserious

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2012
Bethlehem, Georgia
www.coast2coastvaping.com
Full disassembly and reassembly video here

a6dfc16d1d97c521e53f500828c05ac5.jpg

Prepping the mod for coating. (Drilled two additional vent holes in side of main body, by the top of the battery)

9391eafeb6303efcc3ccb564de82f5b5.jpg

Texturized and satin black vamo, just reassembled.

297527fec8ae4b9bea28685ee87fbd33.jpg

This photo shows one of the two additional vent holes i drilled into the body

3b28fa62d24e25ca83eb2885042aa3a7.jpg

Its a very cool mod, and now the only one like it.

Rnoserious

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2012
Bethlehem, Georgia
The coating is " cerakote"

Its a ceramic coating developed for the gun industry. And designed to take the punishment of powder actuated weapons.

Put it this way, the only thing that can chip or flake the coating is a drop onto concrete.

The coating does not scratch, or ding from being carried in your pocket with keys, etc....

XfooYen

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2012
SoCal
I've been reading that regular household bleach will remove chrome plating. If you soak parts immersed in bleach, the chrome will dissolve leaving the clear primer coat in tact. The part can be repainted or sprayed with industrial paint remover to dissolve the primer. Once I have two Vamos to destroy, I will give it a try and report. Nice job, OP.

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
Well. I asked what kind of glue would work on the chrome to attach leather on the Show us your Girly mods thread but nobody knew. Does anybody here know? I would afraid to take it apart because my lifelong experience has been it doesn't work right anymore! Brave and yes. Kinda caveman-ish but I suspect it's rally just you!

XfooYen

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2012
SoCal
Well. I asked what kind of glue would work on the chrome to attach leather on the Show us your Girly Mods thread but nobody knew. Does anybody here know? I would afraid to take it apart because my lifelong experience has been it doesn't work right anymore! Brave and yes. Kinda caveman-ish but I suspect it's rally just you!

Contact cement would work but you'd have to be careful. It's not forgiving if you make a mistake and may also damage the leather depending on quality and thickness. It is VERY flammable so you would want it to cure well before inserting batteries. Practice on something to get a feel for how it works.

Rnoserious

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
May 26, 2012
Bethlehem, Georgia
Ok, chrome plating removal..

Chrome, is really just bright nickel plating with a clear "chromium" plating over it to prevent tarnishing of the bright nickel.

Under the bright nickel is typically copper plating (used to smooth the surface of the material) and produce a reflective surface for the nickel to adhere to.

To remove chrome plating you have to first kill the chrome layer (if your looking for a chemical method) the short answer would be a nitric or a sulfuric acid.

I suggest sand blasting..

Bleach, being sodium hypochlorite (household is commonly a max 6%)

Is VERY GOOD, at oxydizing organics.. Of which chromium is not.

6% is WEAK hypochlorite.

It all depends on what you want to refinish with.. If your painting or powdercoating.. 120 grit sandpaper does the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread