Vamo--why do I need variable wattage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dracu

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2013
new jersey
Hi people, I am new to this forum but not new to vaping.

I just purchased a VAMO and am very curious about the VW. function. I assumed that when I plug in watts, the volts would adjust to it's proper setting with my dual-coil 1.5 ohms carto. This is not happening--if I plug in any number watts and then go to volts it always displays 3 volts.

My question is...if this is working properly and not showing me the adjustment to the voltage, why would I need to know wattage?

Any opinions would be appreciated.

geeve

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2013
Oklahoma
It does that because when you switch to Volts it resets itself. In Watt mode it does the math in the background for you, so it won't display it. I use Watt mode on my Vamo because it remembers it when I change batteries or turn it off. I also found that it was easier to find my sweet spot in Watt mode (7.5 to 8.5)

Geeve

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Hi draco and welcome to ECF. I own the Vamo V2 and V3.
I just purchased a VAMO and am very curious about the VW. function. I assumed that when I plug in watts, the volts would adjust to it's proper setting with my dual-coil 1.5 ohms carto. This is not happening--if I plug in any number watts and then go to volts it always displays 3 volts
Have you set it to wattage? Hold + and - button down at same time. Press - button and scroll to "Power OutPut". Allow display to close. You should now be in wattage mode and when pressing + or - button should only see wattage adjustment.

My question is...if this is working properly and not showing me the adjustment to the voltage, why would I need to know wattage?
If you've done the above then there may be something wrong with your PV.

boathook

Oct 27, 2013
Upstate NY
To expound upon geeve's response, from what I've found the Volts reset when you choose voltage mode because if you had changed your atomizer from, say a 3-ohm carto that can handle 5 volts easily (~8.3 Watts) to a 1.8-ohm carto and it stayed at the same 5 Volts you'd be running ~13.9 Watts and would most likely burn your carto. Now if you had it set at 8 Watts and swapped the 3 ohm for the 1.8 ohm, then you'd be running at a nice, safe 3.8volts and have less of a risk of burning.

Some further info:
Depending on your Vamo version there might be a difference between the voltage calculation between mean (NO1) and RMS (NO2) mode as well. Common recommendation is to set it to NO2 mode by holding the + button until you see it say NO2 takes about 12-15 seconds). Set it once and it retains that setting. This setting is hard set to RMS in V3 and up from what I understand.

Welcome to the world of Vamo Variable Voltage/Wattage vaping!

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
When you are in Power (Wattage) mode, you won't see the voltage settings. The device will adjust the voltage depending on the resistance of your atty. Same as when you're in Voltage mode. You won't see the power (Wattage) settings.

If you want to see the voltage output when you have the device in Power mode, you need a meter that sits between your Vamo and atty.

What retired1 said. I have a Tesla and it does the same exact thing due to wattage being based off of resistance of the coil versus voltage being based off of the power of the battery. 4 watts on a 3 ohm carto is not the same as 4 volts on a 3 ohm carto. If you change a lot then you will want to keep it on volts. I only have one tank and use one ohm of coil so I flip flop, I keep it on watts mostly because I think it looks different and different equates to cool these days.

dracu

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2013
new jersey
When you are in Power (Wattage) mode, you won't see the voltage settings. The device will adjust the voltage depending on the resistance of your atty. Same as when you're in Voltage mode. You won't see the power (Wattage) settings.

If you want to see the voltage output when you have the device in Power mode, you need a meter that sits between your Vamo and atty.

I have the VAMO 2 if that matters. If I am getting this right...you are saying that when I set the wattage, the volts is being adjusted without me actually seeing it. If this is the case, I do not need it because I can just set the voltage to my carto...I wanted to see it so as to know what voltage is it matching with my carto. I thought that was the entire purpose of this funtion.

Now I can understand why the provari does not have this feature...you really do not need it.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
I have the VAMO 2 if that matters. If I am getting this right...you are saying that when I set the wattage, the volts is being adjusted without me actually seeing it. If this is the case, I do not need it because I can just set the voltage to my carto...I wanted to see it so as to know what voltage is it matching with my carto. I thought that was the entire purpose of this funtion.

Now I can understand why the provari does not have this feature...you really do not need it

It's a set and forget mode. Realize advertised ohms of cartos/ clearos are not always accurate. Some are out by 10- 20%. So to be accurate in voltage mode you'd have to find out the true ohms of the carto and then calculate the voltage. Wattage does all this automatically. Another plus- we're not constantly using the buttons on the Vamo- realize this equates to wear and tear on a budget PV.

I just purchased a VAMO and am very curious about the VW. function. I assumed that when I plug in watts, the volts would adjust to it's proper setting with my dual-coil 1.5 ohms carto. This is not happening--if I plug in any number watts and then go to volts it always displays 3 volts.

Also, dual coils are different than single coils because when you have a 1.5ohm dual carto the actual ohm of each coil is 3.0ohms. Thus, making a higher voltage/wattage setting to get the same effect as a single coil carto.

dracu

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2013
new jersey
It's a set and forget mode. Realize advertised ohms of cartos/ clearos are not always accurate. Some are out by 10- 20%. So to be accurate in voltage mode you'd have to find out the true ohms of the carto and then calculate the voltage. Wattage does all this automatically. Another plus- we're not constantly using the buttons on the Vamo- realize this equates to wear and tear on a budget PV.

I understand what you are saying about the ohms, but I also know that according to ohms law...if you have to pieces you can just calculate the other 2. It comes down to only is your pv giving you accurate readings. This is my conclusion to this. I purchased the vamo because I thought it was great just for the price.

I do not see anything out there that gives you more bang for your buck. Now, I have to see how long this pv last me...that is the true test of a pv. I read where people are saying they have a provari for 2 years and it still function great. That makes me come to the conclusion that the provari is cheap rather than expensive. Sorry, I got off topic.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
You are correct - you don't need it.
It's just a convenience - an ALTERNATIVE way to change the vape. It's convenient if you
a) Change tops a lot, and don't always have the same resistance coils (cause it adjusts automatically for the new coil based on your watt setting)
0r
b) Don't want to guess the voltage, calculate the voltage, or just adjust til the voltage vapes right with different coils. You just vape away knowing "I like it at 7.5 watts".

I can't tell you why, but I use both VV and VW - sometimes I'll just switch my VAMO from one to the other for a few days.

Now I can understand why the provari does not have this feature...you really do not need it.

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
Yep I bought mine cuz they were low price- $37.00 incl delivery. V2 has lasted 9 months and V3 is 4 months old. V2 buttons a little wonky otherwise working well. Realize though I really babied them. There's a couple of Mods that cost a wee but more but have stood the test of time and are highly regarded. I just ordered 7 of them for $40 each as Christmas presents for friends....their Spinners are at the end of the road and not holding a charge after 1 yr of use.

I understand what you are saying about the ohms, but I also know that according to ohms law...if you have to pieces you can just calculate the other 2. It comes down to only is your pv giving you accurate readings. This is my conclusion to this. I purchased the vamo because I thought it was great just for the price.

I do not see anything out there that gives you more bang for your buck. Now, I have to see how long this pv last me...that is the true test of a pv. I read where people are saying they have a provari for 2 years and it still function great. That makes me come to the conclusion that the provari is cheap rather than expensive. Sorry, I got off topic.

dracu

ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2013
new jersey
I am so disappointed with this Vamo. It has no consistency whatsoever.

I intend to use it only as a backup to the point where nothing else would work or I might just send it back when I get my provari. Also, what is the deal with these 18350 batteries. I get about 2 hours of vaping with this battery. It reads 4.2 volts right out of the charger. One hour later its reading 3.7 and then 3.4 and then out.

I hear all these people saying that it last about 8 hours. I do vape continuously, but still.

I tried it on a dual-coil 1.5 carto at 4 volts. How is this possible?

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I am so disappointed with this Vamo. It has no consistency whatsoever.

I intend to use it only as a backup to the point where nothing else would work or I might just send it back when I get my provari. Also, what is the deal with these 18350 batteries. I get about 2 hours of vaping with this battery. It reads 4.2 volts right out of the charger. One hour later its reading 3.7 and then 3.4 and then out.

I hear all these people saying that it last about 8 hours. I do vape continuously, but still.

I tried it on a dual-coil 1.5 carto at 4 volts. How is this possible?

Most don't agree with your conclusion, especially when considering the price. A Provari sure as heck should perform better overall when it is 5 - 6 times more costly.

And someone blew vapor up your backside if you believed they were getting 8 hours out of an 18350 battery. (unless they qualified it by stating they used it only once or twice an hour)

DCC's will drain a battery a little more quickly. I use them regularly at 11 - 12 watts. With two 18350's I will get about 7 - 8 hours out of them and I'm a pretty heavy vaper. Using a single coil 3.0 ohm carto at 8 - 8.5 watts, I will get 8 - 9 hours out of two stacked 18350's.

VW is definitely "closer" to set and forget than VV. Why anyone needs to know the volts when you are using watts is beyond me. Find your sweet spot, set your watts and "forget about it".

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa
Personally, I am loving VW setting with my kick 2 in the Nemesis 2 tone clone. I just crank it up to 15 watts and forget about it. Can use my .6 ohm build or my 1.4 ohm build on it and don't have to adjust anything. With my Provari, I always have to adjust the volts up or down till I don't get an E1 or E2 error, when switching out rba's, and some times I have to settle for 14.4 watts and some times it's 15.3 watts. So in that respect, the mech with the kick 2 is more consistent.

Battery life is heavily dependent on they watts you vape at. Could imagine using a 350 battery, would be changing them out every hour. The 490's were doing fine till I started using builds that could handle 15 watts, and would be changing them out 4 time a day. Using dual coil builds seems to suck the volts quicker too. Use more juice while vaping at higher juice. Good thing I DIY juice and have 7 batteries so that I have plenty of juice for my juice so that I can always get juiced.. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread