Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
With the boards I have waterproofed (mostly mosfets and RC components running 11.1v) I really didn't notice much more heat retention, but I'm sure there is some if you monitor the actual temp of the board.

I agree that the pulse is more of a budget mod. I have a really hard time finding a regulated squonk mod that I actually like. Currently the only one that I actually use occasionally is a USModz Stinger DNA75C. It is not a budget mod at all, and it still annoys me some and does not have the features I want in a regulated squonker. I run mechs almost exclusively because I can't find a regulated mod that fits the way I like to vape.

• Agree
Reactions: Mysteron

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Mosfets have a much wider range of heat tolerance – IC’s can be a little more susceptible. I have no idea of the heat tolerances of the components used on a Pulse 80 board. Just stating that extra care maybe needed in order to make it water resistant. How many regulated squonkers have a water resistance board? Are the DNA boards in a Vicious Ant squonkers water proofed? I have my doubts.

I don’t think the Pulse 80/X is a bad design. The button has a flange on the back to prevent it from falling out and these are usually (not exclusively) held with a silicone gasket to prevent rattle. So the question is, how much juice does it take to cause a problem?

Lufty

Sep 13, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
With the boards I have waterproofed (mostly mosfets and RC components running 11.1v) I really didn't notice much more heat retention, but I'm sure there is some if you monitor the actual temp of the board.

I agree that the pulse is more of a budget mod. I have a really hard time finding a regulated squonk mod that I actually like. Currently the only one that I actually use occasionally is a USModz Stinger DNA75C. It is not a budget mod at all, and it still annoys me some and does not have the features I want in a regulated squonker. I run mechs almost exclusively because I can't find a regulated mod that fits the way I like to vape.

I always liked the look of the Stingers. Havent got my hands on one yet. Im not sure if the Pulse 80w soured squonking for me or if its just not my thing. I use my Paranormal 90% of the time, except when I leave the house and Ive been content just dripping [: I take the Pulse with me when I leave though.

• Agree

Lufty

Sep 13, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Mosfets have a much wider range of heat tolerance – IC’s can be a little more susceptible. I have no idea of the heat tolerances of the components used on a Pulse 80 board. Just stating that extra care maybe needed in order to make it water resistant. How many regulated squonkers have a water resistance board? Are the DNA boards in a Vicious Ant squonkers water proofed? I have my doubts.

I don’t think the Pulse 80/X is a bad design. The button has a flange on the back to prevent it from falling out and these are usually (not exclusively) held with a silicone gasket to prevent rattle. So the question is, how much juice does it take to cause a problem?

I hope you dont think I meant it was a bad design ]: I mean I totally didnt mean to give that vibe, sorry! ]:> I do like the (g10?) hard plastic used, and it does feel good in my hand. The contacts are nice and dont tear at my wraps. UI is easy to use. I like the resin panels, their soft in my hands and look good [: theirs some things I wouldve done differently though and given the choice I probably wouldnt buy it again. But thats just because of personal problems I guess you could say, er personal reasons. I let my roomate use it and she doesnt know what squonking is and she loved it! haha. Maybe I just dont like squonking or maybe the Pulse soured it for me. Maybe its a little of both. I dunno actually /: for the 45$ I paid for it Im not totally dissapointed with it.

It does drive me a little crazy when the bottle doesnt suck all the juice back and leaves it sorta in the bottom of the recurve and full in the juice line, so if anyone were to accidently bump the bottle the slightest juice would overflow and leak everywhere. I suppose thst means I need a slightly less soft bottle maybe?

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio

Supposedly the DNA boards are coated, according to evolv. At least my 75C in my stinger seems to have a coating on it. I dont have the spade 75c so i cant comment on it.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
The RSQ is supposed to have a coated "waterproof" board, but I'm not going to test it.

Ah Come On. Take one for the Team.

fiberglass-pools-vs-concrete-pools.jpg

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I hope you dont think I meant it was a bad design ]: I mean I totally didnt mean to give that vibe, sorry! ]:> I do like the (g10?) hard plastic used, and it does feel good in my hand. The contacts are nice and dont tear at my wraps. UI is easy to use. I like the resin panels, their soft in my hands and look good [: theirs some things I wouldve done differently though and given the choice I probably wouldnt buy it again. But thats just because of personal problems I guess you could say, er personal reasons. I let my roomate use it and she doesnt know what squonking is and she loved it! haha. Maybe I just dont like squonking or maybe the Pulse soured it for me. Maybe its a little of both. I dunno actually /: for the 45$ I paid for it Im not totally dissapointed with it.

It does drive me a little crazy when the bottle doesnt suck all the juice back and leaves it sorta in the bottom of the recurve and full in the juice line, so if anyone were to accidently bump the bottle the slightest juice would overflow and leak everywhere. I suppose thst means I need a slightly less soft bottle maybe?

That’s not the vibe I got from you – just stating that I don’t think it is a bad design. Can it be improved…absolutely, but we can say the same about many devices. I don’t think my Rage squonker is any more fluid resistant than my Pulse. In fact, I don’t think any of my mods are with the exception of the purposely built Aegis Legend. Leaking internal is a poor design (for a squonker). Leaking externally and into a fire button is, sorry to say, neglect. Not many devices are neglect proof.

With any squonker you must know it’s limits on how much can be squonked vs how much can the RDA hold. The Recurve RDA has a very small internal volume in comparison other RDA’s. It’s design also puts the coil right above the squonk so you do not need a big squeeze to saturate it. I squonk my Recurve until I can just see the fluid at the bottom row of the air ports. Let go of the bottle and it will suck back the excessive juice. If the wicks are really dry I’ll repeat. This method has worked perfectly for me and I do not get leaks.

Last edited:
  • Agree

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Supposedly the DNA boards are coated, according to evolv. At least my 75C in my stinger seems to have a coating on it. I dont have the spade 75c so i cant comment on it.

There maybe fact to that (not willing to test my DNA so if you are, please report back ;)) . But my point is many boards are not fluid resistant.

• Agree
Reactions: Zaryk

Lufty

Sep 13, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
That’s not the vide I got from you – just stating that I don’t think it is a bad design. Can it be improved…absolutely, but we can say the same about many devices. I don’t think my Rage squonker is any more fluid resistant than my Pulse. In fact, I don’t think any of my mods are with the exception of the purposely built Aegis Legend. Leaking internal is a poor design (for a squonker). Leaking externally and into a fire button is, sorry to say, neglect. Not many devices are neglect proof.

With any squonker you must know it’s limits on how much can be squonked vs how much can the RDA hold. The Recurve RDA has a very small internal volume in comparison other RDA’s. It’s design also puts the coil right above the squonk so you do not need a big squeeze to saturate it. I squonk my Recurve until I can just see the fluid at the bottom row of the air ports. Let go of the bottle and it will suck back the excessive juice. If the wicks are really dry I’ll repeat. This method has worked perfectly for me and I do not get leaks.

For some reason with mine, itll only suck the juice back to just below the coil after I release the bottle and the pressure will still be applied. So if I go to squonk again not knowing that this is the case, juice wil fly out of the atty and down towards the buttons. Its hard to feel the bottle and even notice if this has happened or not, maybe because of the amount of juice still in it or the bottle isnt strong enough for the required amount of pressure to suck it back? I havent put much thought into it really. It doesnt happen every time, every so often I guess.

I dont see myself buying another mod, especially a squonk thst doesnt have a DNA. Its nice to have that added protection, as well as Evolv being so helpful when things go wrong [:

• Agree

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Not willing to read every spec sheet for the different DNA boards, but the 250C states only the buttons (the physical switch) are water proof and that a water proof or processed sealed switch is recommended. This tells me that eVolve is recommending you use a sealed button so fluid does not get to the rest of the board.

Says the same for the DNA 75C. Looking at the product pictures the board does not look coated – but that is just my armchair observation.

Last edited:

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
No willing to read every spec sheet for the different DNA boards, but the 250C states only the buttons (the physical switch) are water proof and that a water proof or processed sealed switch is recommended. This tells me that eVolve is recommending you use a sealed button so fluid does not get to the rest of the board.

Says the same for the DNA 75C. Looking at the product pictures the board does not look coated – but that is just my armchair observation.

I read on the evolv forums (one of the mods there said it, he is one that works for evolv I believe) that their boards are conformal coated. I do not think it is listed in the spec sheet though. If I have time I will try to find a link for you.

• Agree
Reactions: Lufty

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I’m just quoting what the spec sheet says. Bit bizarre they would promote a water proof button but not mention the board. Also, given DNA boards are OEM for other companies to use, they cannot cover all connections to the board. They also allow external switches from their own. Conformal coating is not a guarantee against fluid damage – it is not a sealant.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I’m just quoting what the spec sheet says. Bit bizarre they would promote a water proof button but not mention the board. Also, given DNA boards are OEM for other companies to use, they cannot cover all connections to the board. They also allow external switches from their own. Conformal coating is not a guarantee against fluid damage – it is not a sealant.

Agreed, it is not the best. It does help protect the board from light moisture and dust, which is better than what most manufacturs do. I still treat is as i would anything else, but having that coating is just an extra barrier, and I'm not going to complain about that.

Reactions: Lufty

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
But conformal coating is widely practiced with many electronics. Even the Pulse 80 is conformal coated and will assume every other board out of China is as well. Shipping containers are not sealed air tight, and those silica packs can only do so much. Exposure to sea water (mist/moisture) would damage these boards pretty quickly if they were not coated. I had a CD player shipped by it’s manufacture from the UK via boat, it was not properly coated and by the time it got to me a lot of its connections were corroded.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
But conformal coating is widely practiced with many electronics. Even the Pulse 80 is conformal coated and will assume every other board out of China is as well. Shipping containers are not sealed air tight, and those silica packs can only do so much. Exposure to sea water (mist/moisture) would damage these boards pretty quickly if they were not coated. I had a CD player shipped by it’s manufacture from the UK via boat, it was not properly coated and by the time it got to me a lot of its connections were corroded.

I know for a fact some of these boards do not have any coating whatsoever. I have had to resolder on a few, and when I tried to scrape off the coating, it was non existent. Some other boards I mess with in other hobbies taught me that if the coating isn't removed before soldering, the solder doesn't stick very well. I know it is very thin, and sometimes not on the contacts, but I know what to look for. I know one was a smok alien, another was some ijoy mod, and I think a pico as well maybe, i didnt take note of which did and didnt so I can't remember which ones exactly. But pretty much all but one or two was not coated. Have not removed the board on the pulse, so I can't speak for it.

Also, not all coatings are equal, I find some Chinese manufacturs use a very cheap version that really don't help very much at all. Some of my American made chips (for rc and airsoft), that were conformal coated and not waterproofed, have been submerged fully in water and never skipped a beat, they still look as good as new. I've had some Chinese made ones, that were coated, that shorted and/or corroded with very minor moisture. Some coatings are only good to protect from moisture in the air, and some can withstand some pretty heavy soaking for short amounts of time.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
We are veering off topic and focusing on specifics here. Conformal coating is not water proofing. It could aid against certain exposure to fluid but not specific to. I would not trust any device, mod or other, to water exposure simply because the manufacture states the board was Conformal coated - and I would highly suggest others to do the same. If your mod claims to be water resistant, they by all means, cover it with juice if you trust that claim enough. But there is nothing on the Evolve site nor the manufacture of the mod that houses the DNA board that I own that gives me that level of trust. I am not trying to be negative toward DNA boards or Evolv, they are by far the most preferred board that I own. I am looking at this from a logical point of view and without objective data that states an IP rating or something similar, I will not allow myself a false sense of security against water resistance simply because the board was assembled in the USA or claims of conformal coating. The same care of mitigating neglect goes into my DNA based mod as it does with every other mod that I own.

In closing have a look at the below 2 boards, one being the DNA75C and the other being the Pulse 80. Both are conformal coated - the Pulse you can see a run in the coating as noted with the red circle. The DNA you can see where the coating is lifting, separating itself from the board where the red arrow is pointing to. Neither of these boards indicate water resistance, especially if the coating is separating from the board. And again, I am not being negative toward DNA, just pointing out what I see.

My apologizes for the long post :oops:

Pulse 80
Pulse 80.jpg

DNA75C
DNA 75C.jpg

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
I would not trust any device, mod or other, to water exposure simply because the manufacture states the board was Conformal coated - and I would highly suggest others to do the same. If your mod claims to be water resistant, they by all means, cover it with juice if you trust that claim enough. But there is nothing on the Evolve site nor the manufacture of the mod that houses the DNA board that I own that gives me that level of trust. I am not trying to be negative toward DNA boards or Evolv, they are by far the most preferred board that I own. I am looking at this from a logical point of view and without objective data that states an IP rating or something similar, I will not allow myself a false sense of security against water resistance simply because the board was assembled in the USA or claims of conformal coating. The same care of mitigating neglect goes into my DNA based mod as it does with every other mod that I own.
I never heard of conformal coating myself. But I have see one of the many videos of inside of Evolv's plant. And they had shown the machine which sprays the board in all areas after assembly except the buttons, USB port, screen socket, and the external solder connections. An employee called it waterproofing. It was probably Busardo's last video at Evolv. I'll look for it so long.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
That is an incorrect statement – conformal coating is not water proofing. As I stated earlier, it can aid against exposure to fluid but not specific to. Conformal coating is common among many electronics for it protects against moisture, humidity, corrosion or other elements that maybe conductive. I can assure you your computer has been conformal coated, pour a glass of water onto it and see what happens. Actually don't...I'm just making a point.

Conformal coating - Wikipedia

Reactions: smoked25years
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread