Status
Not open for further replies.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
That is an incorrect statement – conformal coating is not water proofing. As I stated earlier, it can aid against exposure to fluid but not specific to. Conformal coating is common among many electronics for it protects against moisture, humidity, corrosion or other elements that maybe conductive.
Which conformal coating are you referring to? For example, silicone conformal coating adds a very good resistance to moisture.

Conformal coating - Wikipedia

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2018
...I can assure you your computer has been conformal coated, pour a glass of water onto it and see what happens. Actually don't...I'm just making a point.

Unfortunately I've done that "test". It didn't go well. :oops:

By "test", I mean that I inadvertently knocked over a can of carbonated water onto my laptop-- Haha!

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Which conformal coating are you referring to? For example, silicone conformal coating adds a very good resistance to moisture.

Conformal coating - Wikipedia

Resistance to moisture is not water proofing. If you think your dna device is water proof then go drop it in a bucket of water and report back. There is nothing on Evolve’s website and or data sheets that make such claims. Even their warranty leaves a lot open for interpretation. I am not going to have a false sense of security without any official statement from a manufacture stating what their product is capable of. This is just logical thinking. Having a board or even an IC withstand a few drops of viscous e-liquid is not water proofing. My comments here are not to debate this, it is to inform everyone of a potential outcome should your device be exposed to fluid.

• Agree
Reactions: zoiDman

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Unfortunately I've done that "test". It didn't go well. :oops:

By "test", I mean that I inadvertently knocked over a can of carbonated water onto my laptop-- Haha!

You can take comfort in knowing that you are not alone. Many have made the same mistakes. I got caught in a torrential downpour with a Nokia phone. It did not survive and it was conformal coated. Unless a manufacture states water poofing within their specs, I would not trust said device to exposure. Pretty simple.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Resistance to moisture is not water proofing. If you think your DNA device is water proof then go drop it in a bucket of water and report back. There is nothing on Evolve’s website and or data sheets that make such claims. Even their warranty leaves a lot open for interpretation. I am not going to have a false sense of security without any official statement from a manufacture stating what their product is capable of. This is just logical thinking. Having a board or even an IC withstand a few drops of viscous e-liquid is not water proofing. My comments here are not to debate this, it is to inform everyone of a potential outcome should your device be exposed to fluid.
I learned when buying diving watches that go down hundreds of feet, water proofing doesn't exist and there is no such thing. It is a misnomer. Nothing is actually water proof. The best you can do is water resistant. :D

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
It did not survive and it was conformal coated. Unless a manufacture states water poofing within their specs, I would not trust said device to exposure. Pretty simple.
But was it silicone based conformal coated, it makes a difference you know. And no cellphone will ever claim to be water proof. They would be sued using that term because water proofing is impossible. Any cellphone which is fine around water is called water resistant. And if they are nice, they will tell you the rating.

Take my Discovery Land Rover cellphone. They can't use water proof legally since there is no such thing. But they do claim it is water submersible and has a rating of IP-67 certified. My Motorola Moto G3 is also water resistant. Having a rating of IPX7.

If I am going to be out and it might rain and I will be around water (i.e. boating, beach, etc.), I'll drop my non-rated cellphone in a ziplock bag. Again not water proof, but just water resistant. :D

Once I had my cordless phone out on the patio on a nice sunny day. Suddenly a huge black cloud appeared over my roof and it started pouring down in buckets. It had taken me a few trips in and out of the house trying to keep things dry. And the last thing out there was the cordless phone. I picked it up and no display and no signs of life. I got inside pulled the battery and completely disassembled it and dried it out. Yes, the board was coated. Put it back together again and it fired right up. Been still working fine for the past 15 years now. :D

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
I have no idea what the coating was made from. I didn’t bother taking it to a lab for further analysis – it was exposed to water and it died. That’s the end of that story. Was brought up in conversation with @smoked25years to state that he/she is not alone with having electronics fail due to water exposure.

If water proofing is an impossible task, which for the most part I will not dispute, then why is the conversation focused around Evlov’s claims? I think we’ve flogged this dead horse enough.

flavourchaser

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2018
So I have been comparing battery life with 2 of my DNA 75C squonk mods with the Pulse mod. I use temp control. I find the battery usage between them is similar may be the Pulse might edge a bit. Could be the theme I'm using on my DNA sucking up more battery life or could it be REPLAY??? I was expecting the DNA to be more efficient, sadly no :( Anyways that's my findings. I still love them all. YMMV

My DNA 75C next to my Pulse mods.
Skyfall RDA.jpg

Last edited:

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
I find the battery usage between them is similar may be the Pulse might edge a bit. Could be the theme I'm using on my DNA sucking up more battery life or could it be REPLAY??? I was expecting the DNA to be more efficient, sadly no :(
Where do you have the DNA set for the following:
  • Boost
  • Warmth
  • Wattage
All 3 could drag your battery down faster.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
Yeah flavourchaser, that preheat especially is draining your power faster. That warmth is a close second. When you view the graph and a few other places you can see watts. Take one of the longest puffs you usually do and see what this is reading. As you might have watts too high. But that depends on your average in the graph on the mod's screen.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
@flavourchaser – Personally I think there is something wrong with that Vicious Ant and that you should send it my way for an indefinite analysis. I will even help you out with shipping if needed. Just looking out for a fellow ECF member ;)

Seriously…that is a beautiful device you got there. :thumbs:

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
Is anybody else noticing a muted or different flavor with the pulse x? I'm using the clapton's that came with and was going to switch them out but figured I'd ask first.

How long have you been using it for? Did you give the RDA a good wash prior to use? I noticed a strong oil smell with mine but I always wash my RDA/Subohm tanks prior to use. Also wash my coils in alcohol as well for even they can have machine oil on them and find dry burning does not always get rid of it.

Mine did give a different flavour at first but has seemed to have settled in. I’ll wright this off as breaking in the cotton/coils.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread