Vandy Vape Pulse 80 watt now 90 watt X

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jet Knight

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2013
Gotham
Wow Jet Knight. I have 7 squonkers and only one leaks and that is my Vandy vape. My Geek vape and the lost vape ones never leak a drop. No way am I adding o-rings on the other 6. That might make them wear funny and then they might start leaking without the o-ring. I'm not chancing it and no extra o-rings on my gear.

If you people keep buying them, they will never fix them. Why should they? I only bought one and that is it for me until they start fixing them. They had known about this problem for along time and chosen to do nothing about it. What other things have they known about and not fixed?

I have a bit more Squonkers, about 20 last I counted, and only had those leaking problems on my Aurora and Pulse 80. I only use the O-rings on atty's that I use on those 2 Mods. Haven't had any leaking problems with the Pulse 90 (maybe they fixed that problem) nor my other Sqounkers. I do notice that the Wasp and Nudge do not cause a leak on those 2 mods so no need for an O-ring when using them on the Pulse 80 and Aurora.

Reactions: BillW50

SonnyCooL

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2018
Had similar problems with leaking using the Pulse and the Aurora. Thought leaking was occurring inside the Mods themselves but after following Zaryk's idea with the O rings on the Atty's, all is good. Have placed those O-rings on most of my atty's since then.
where n how u place it ?
i saw different clip, showing me different way.
Thanks

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
where n how u place it ?
i saw different clip, showing me different way.
Thanks
If you are asking about how to place the oring, here is a pic.
20180921_190554.jpg

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
No way am I adding o-rings on the other 6. That might make them wear funny and then they might start leaking without the o-ring. I'm not chancing it and no extra o-rings on my gear.

I have no clue how it could make it wear funny, or cause it to leak when an o ring is not used. It isn't like it is something that will wear out metal, and it does not put any abmormal pressure anywhere. I am quite confused about your concerns....

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    I've found some attys will leak, some won't using the same mod.
    The industry is very "loose" in the specs for 510s on attys and mods. No real standards.
    Also atty squonk pins vary in the hole size. A smaller hole will create more pressure, which may force juice past the threads if squonked too hard.

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    I have no clue how it could make it wear funny, or cause it to leak when an o ring is not used. It isn't like it is something that will wear out metal, and it does not put any abmormal pressure anywhere. I am quite confused about your concerns....
    Look at it this way. If 6 mods doesn't leak whatsoever, why would you modify them by adding an o-ring? For what? And why does the Vandy Vape has those juice channels on top of the 510 for? All they do is to pool up the juice and then dump it all over the mod and you when they get full. Why not use as flat top 510 like everyone else does it? VV 510 is just encouraging the 510 to leak with that design. I wish I could met those engineers, because I would give them a piece of my mind about what I think about their design.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    The small channels on the 510 plate of the Pulse 80/X mod do not connect into the 510 thread cavity. Doubt they promote leaking anymore than a 510 plate that was void of said channels.

I was the one who brought up over squonking with the Pulse X. Perhaps my definition of over squonking differs from others, but given the proximity and size of the airports, leaking out of them from over squonking is possible. I say this with experience – and the RDA was on a flat surface. That is not to say it is just as easy to over squonk the Pulse X as some bottom air flow RDA’s. It’s a matter of knowing the limits of your squonk.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    Look at it this way. If 6 mods doesn't leak whatsoever, why would you modify them by adding an o-ring? For what? And why does the Vandy Vape has those juice channels on top of the 510 for? All they do is to pool up the juice and then dump it all over the mod and you when they get full. Why not use as flat top 510 like everyone else does it? VV 510 is just encouraging the 510 to leak with that design. I wish I could met those engineers, because I would give them a piece of my mind about what I think about their design.

I have not used the pulse 80w for quite some time. That is my wife's now. But I do still use an MCM underground squonk, vicious ant stabwood spade, anchor nano, and purge ultem squonk regularly and put an o ring on my atties for them, no issues and I don't get any seeping no matter what atty I put on them.

Sometimes, depending on what atty is used like puffon said above, leaking can occur simply because of tolerance issues. Not all equipment is on the same side of the tolerance scale. No matter if it is super high end or cheap as they come, seeping or even leaking can happen.

Now, I'm not telling you to put o-rings on your stuff. If you don't want too, dont do it. But posting BS like it could make it so a mod will leak with anything that doesn't have an oring, like it could damage something, or posting it would make something wear funny is simply your unresearched speculation with no valid basis in reality. A 1mm thick piece of rubber is not going to damage a metal 510 plate, it's threads, or any other part it is contacting. If it could do that much damage, then I would hate to know what the plastic mod protector disks would do.

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    Sometimes, depending on what atty is used like puffon said above, leaking can occur simply because of tolerance issues. Not all equipment is on the same side of the tolerance scale. No matter if it is super high end or cheap as they come, seeping or even leaking can happen.
    Is that so? Then why is that Vandy Vape is my only squonker with tolerance issues? Is it because Vandy Vape uses sloppy tolerances?

Now, I'm not telling you to put o-rings on your stuff. If you don't want too, dont do it. But posting BS like it could make it so a mod will leak with anything that doesn't have an oring, like it could damage something, or posting it would make something wear funny is simply your unresearched speculation with no valid basis in reality. A 1mm thick piece of rubber is not going to damage a metal 510 plate, it's threads, or any other part it is contacting. If it could do that much damage, then I would hate to know what the plastic mod protector disks would do.
    Really? Ain't an 1mm thick o-ring going to raise the atty up off of the 510 plate? That means less pressure on the spring loaded 510 pin. This causes instability and looser connections. And if the atty is balancing like a top on the 510 alone, that isn't very mechanically stable either. To get it more stable, the bottom of the atty must have a snug fit with the 510 plate of the mod. Now all of the stress is no longer on the 510 alone, but now on the complete bottom of the atty for added support.

As for plastic mod protectors, they can cause marring, as KP warns about:

Note: Kidney Puncher cannot guarantee this product will completely prevent marring. Please use caution when tightening down atomizers or tanks. We recommend holding the sides of the Mod Guard while carefully screwing in your atomizer.

No Warrany. No Returns.

• Disagree
    Reactions: Asbestos4004

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    Is that so? Then why is that Vandy Vape is my only squonker with tolerance issues? Is it because Vandy Vape uses sloppy tolerances?

Really? Ain't an 1mm thick o-ring going to raise the atty up off of the 510 plate? That means less pressure on the spring loaded 510 pin. This causes instability and looser connections. And if the atty is balancing like a top on the 510 alone, that isn't very mechanically stable either. To get it more stable, the bottom of the atty must have a snug fit with the 510 plate of the mod. Now all of the stress is no longer on the 510 alone, but now on the complete bottom of the atty for added support.

As for plastic mod protectors, they can cause marring, as KP warns about:

Note: Kidney Puncher cannot guarantee this product will completely prevent marring. Please use caution when tightening down atomizers or tanks. We recommend holding the sides of the Mod Guard while carefully screwing in your atomizer.

No Warrany. No Returns.

First, I have atties that do not leak on my pulse, and some that do. I also have some atties that leak on my purge, and some that dont. Same with my USModz stinger. There are thousands upon thousands of atties avaliable, you are only able to speak of a very miniscule percentage of them.

All of my atties with an o ring sit flush, of course I would not expect you to know that, since you are only speculating on what it would do.

And by your train of thought, wouldn't using an atomizer that has a shorter 510 pin cause this same issue? Not all 510 pins are the same length, and I see way more than 1mm difference in some that I have. I'm pretty sure this is why they use spring loaded 510s on most mods, so that it can have some play in how long the pin can be and still function just fine. And this complaint is just as invalid on manually adjustable 510s.

Reactions: Asbestos4004

BillW50

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 23, 2014
    US
    The shortest atty 510 I ever measured was 4.6mm. That is what Joyetech/Wismec uses. And since they started using 510 first before anybody else, they are the closest thing to a standard that we have. Anything shorter will likely have connection issues with the 510.

And 1mm difference between 510 length is huge! I think everything I have falls between 4.6 to 4.9mm. For my Wismec Reuleaux mods, anything longer than 4.6 could break the mods 510 socket and drive the 510 right through the connection. So I use KP Mod Guards for them which is 0.5mm thick if the 510 length is longer. I never had to use two together for a 1mm thickness yet.

So what RDAs do you have that don't leak on the Pulse? Maybe I might have them. As I have a bunch of squonk RDAs that I haven't even opened still in their packages yet. One of them is a Pulse 24. Does that one leak do you know?

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    The shortest atty 510 I ever measured was 4.6mm. That is what Joyetech/Wismec uses. And since they started using 510 first before anybody else, they are the closest thing to a standard that we have. Anything shorter will likely have connection issues with the 510.

And 1mm difference between 510 length is huge! I think everything I have falls between 4.6 to 4.9mm. For my Wismec Reuleaux mods, anything longer than 4.6 could break the mods 510 socket and drive the 510 right through the connection. So I use KP Mod Guards for them which is 0.5mm thick if the 510 length is longer. I never had to use two together for a 1mm thickness yet.

So what RDAs do you have that don't leak on the Pulse? Maybe I might have them. As I have a bunch of squonk RDAs that I haven't even opened still in their packages yet. One of them is a Pulse 24. Does that one leak do you know?
    Entheon worked fine on my pulse, I don't use the pulse RDAs anymore so I can't speak about them. I think my nudge 22 was fine too. I know there was a dual coil as well, maybe my bonza or underground 24.

Here is a pic of two 510 pins from my collection. Left measures 4.49mm and right measures 5.39mm. Both work fine on my mods. (And I just put that Oring on the deck on the right, it has not been installed on a mod yet since the Oring install)

20181015_151509.jpg

Lufty

Sep 13, 2018
    Columbus, Ohio
    My Recurve tends to leak a lot more then most of my other attys, just because of where the airflow holes are and how it squonks but once your used to how much to squonk it its okay. Other then that I get leaks from between the topcap and base and down the side (if that makes sense). Apart from the leaking the flavor and airflow is great, especially for a atty that has no airflow control ring that you can adjust. I usually find myself cutting airflow down, not to MTL status because I DL. But I find the airflow on the recurve to be just right.

HOLY SHAT. I just realized you guys were speaking of the mod not the atomizer. DOH. Sorry!

Im not a big fan of the pulse 80w. My first ones chipped died inside of a week because juice leaked into the fire button and killed it. My fault. But it still is a bummer they didnt put any kind of o-ring or seal around at least the fire button to protect it.

Last edited:

Zaryk

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2018
    Ohio
    My Recurve tends to leak a lot more then most of my other attys, just because of where the airflow holes are and how it squonks but once your used to how much to squonk it its okay. Other then that I get leaks from between the topcap and base and down the side (if that makes sense). Apart from the leaking the flavor and airflow is great, especially for a atty that has no airflow control ring that you can adjust. I usually find myself cutting airflow down, not to MTL status because I DL. But I find the airflow on the recurve to be just right.

HOLY SHAT. I just realized you guys were speaking of the mod not the atomizer. DOH. Sorry!

Im not a big fan of the pulse 80w. My first ones chipped died inside of a week because juice leaked into the fire button and killed it. My fault. But it still is a bummer they didnt put any kind of o-ring or seal around at least the fire button to protect it.

I don't know of any mods that do put an o ring around the fire button, probably because it would have to be tight enough to cause the fire button to stick if they want it to make a good seal. But they absolutely should have waterproofed the chip.

We are talking about the leaking/seeping from between the mods 510 and the bottom of the rda. It's usually not much, but accumulates over time and gets annoying. Normally it is juice that seeps past the squonk pin and works it way up the 510 threads.

• Useful
    Reactions: Lufty

Lufty

Sep 13, 2018
    Columbus, Ohio
    I don't know of any mods that do put an o ring around the fire button, probably because it would have to be tight enough to cause the fire button to stick if they want it to make a good seal. But they absolutely should have waterproofed the chip.

We are talking about the leaking/seeping from between the mods 510 and the bottom of the rda. It's usually not much, but accumulates over time and gets annoying. Normally it is juice that seeps past the squonk pin and works it way up the 510 threads.

I havent held the mech Pulse BF but the button on it looks like it has a ring around that seals the area between the button and the frame of the mod which I thought was a nice touch. They really shouldve sprayed the chip though, it probably wouldve saved them money in the long run with warranty replacements. Or at the very least bonus points for being awesome. I had a very small amount of juice I missed leak into my button and boom the mod was dead. Thankfully they were great about replacing the mod (unlike VaporDNA whom any talk of it was like pulling teeth).

I do like the look and feel of the Pulse 80w black button over the big silver one. But even a small ridge around the outside of where the button is on the frame to divert the juice flow when it leaks wouldve been a nice touch.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    The Pulse BF has a mechanical button. By design it requires an outside flange to allow it to be fixed to the body of the mod. A bolt is threaded from the back to keep it in place. It is not a sealed design, fluid can still enter the switch.

The problem with water proofing circuit boards is the waterproofing acts like an insulator keeping heat from escaping. It can be done but requires extra care in choosing the components.

pulse-bf-box-mod-box-01.jpg

Lufty

Sep 13, 2018
    Columbus, Ohio
    The Pulse BF has a mechanical button. By design it requires an outside flange to allow it to be fixed to the body of the mod. A bolt is threaded from the back to keep it in place. It is not a sealed design, fluid can still enter the switch.

The problem with water proofing circuit boards is the waterproofing acts like an insulator keeping heat from escaping. It can be done but requires extra care in choosing the components.

View attachment 773689

Thats a really cool image for the Pulse BF button [: and Im sure it wouldve made the Pulse 80w more expensive to waterproof the chip. I guess just a small ridge to try and divert the juice flow around the button wouldve been a more affordable preventitive measure. You get what you pay for more or less with it though, it was built to be affordable so I get it, I cant really expect a lot out of it. Probably the last time I try and save money going for the affordable priced mods. I always worry Im going to tear the 510 out when removing a topcap from my atty.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread