Vape sensitivity puzzle...PG? Something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
The popular opinion seems to be that the strength is the culprit. I going to try to make time to mix tonight.
Congratulations on your 3 months of being smoke free. We are all pulling for your wife. Please keep us updated. We really do care.

I also agree that it is probably the nic strength causing the problem.

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA
Congratulations on your 3 months of being smoke free. We are all pulling for your wife. Please keep us updated. We really do care.

I also agree that it is probably the nic strength causing the problem.
Thanks very much:)
Appreciate all the help and support! I'll update in a week or so hopefully with good news.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
The popular opinion seems to be that the strength is the culprit. I going to try to make time to mix tonight.

Yay! :thumbs:

If you want to be sure if it IS the nic being too high that's the problem...please take the earlier suggestion that @zoiDman gave you, that you liked. Leave the PG/VG ratio the same as the first batch (you said it was 70VG), and change ONLY the nic mg. If you change both the nic + PG/VG ratio and she doesn't get queasy...you still won't know which thing for sure was causing the problem. It's the old "don't change several variables at the same time" idea from Science class experiments when we were all younger. :)

Good luck! We're all hoping for a great result, for both of you!

Last edited:

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA
Yay! :thumbs:

If you want to be sure if it IS the nic being too high that's the problem...please take the earlier suggestion that @zoiDman gave you, that you liked. Leave the PG/VG ratio the same as the first batch (you said it was 70VG), and change ONLY the nic mg. If you change both the nic + PG/VG ratio and she doesn't get queasy...you still won't know which thing for sure was causing the problem. It's the old "don't change several variables at the same time" idea from Science class experiments when we were all younger. :)

Good luck! We're all hoping for a great result, for both of you!

I started on a cigalike at 1.8%. It didn't produce much vapor so I had time to acclimate to that level. The equipment she is using is far more efficient than what I started on. This is a good hypothesis. I'm putting PG allergy on the back burner for sure.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I ran Clearos with 18mg/ml for a Long Time. No Problems. But if I put 18mg/ml in my RTA's or rda's today, I would Gag.

I'm sure you will Find an e-liquid Combinations that your Wife likes. And it may be a Both the Nicotine Level and the PG/VG Level. But as JC Mention, it's is Hard to Tell what is what if you more than 1 thing at a Time.

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA
I ran Clearos with 18mg/ml for a Long Time. No Problems. But if I put 18mg/ml in my RTA's or RDA's today, I would Gag.

I'm sure you will Find an e-Liquid Combinations that your Wife likes. And it may be a Both the Nicotine Level and the PG/VG Level. But as JC Mention, it's is Hard to Tell what is what if you more than 1 thing at a Time.

Reactions: Opinionated

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Just out of curiosity, what mg are you using now and what what was the timeframe on stepping it down? Did you just go by feel?

Mixed up 9mg 70VG, now to wait till she tries it again.

I quit using 28mg/ml with an Occasional 36mg/ml on a Cart/Atty and Cartos. Then moved down to 24mg/ml or so.

When the E2/CE2's Clearos hit the scene, I used them for a Long Time at 18mg/ml Heavily Flavored/Sweetened.

Moved to Rebuildables and had to Drop Down to 12mg/ml or so Regular Flavored.

Today, using mainly a Squonking RDA and STM Style RTA's, I use around 7 ~ 9mg/ml Unflavored with Flavored Wicks or HOF.

The Hardware was what drove the Stepping Down in mg/ml. Heavily Flavored/Sweetened e-Liquids (to me) just don't taste as good Day in and Day out on an RDA. And I would get Flavor Burnout a lot. That, and I always seemed Thirsty.

I use some 0mg at Night. Especially if I'm really Wound Up for work. But I don't really go much below 7mg/ml during the day. Kinda get Edgy if I do. I vape about 7ml a Day.

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA
Success!.... sort of, haha. So she said she tried it a little and had no nausea. At this time, nicotine level seems to be the only issue. She said she might like to have it even a little lower which I find baffling considering she smokes about 15 full flavor a day. Also said there is a weird sweet taste, which I have to assume is the VG.
I ordered some TFA RY4 double, and a couple other flavors, maybe I can help the "weird" taste too after a bit of self experimentation:)

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Success!.... sort of, haha. So she said she tried it a little and had no nausea. At this time, nicotine level seems to be the only issue. She said she might like to have it even a little lower which I find baffling considering she smokes about 15 full flavor a day. Also said there is a weird sweet taste, which I have to assume is the VG.
I ordered some TFA RY4 double, and a couple other flavors, maybe I can help the "weird" taste too after a bit of self experimentation:)

Right On Enso!

:thumb:

And Don't worry about Rhyme or Reason. If She thinks Lower might be Better, then Lower it is.

e-Cigarettes deliver Nicotine differently than Smoking. And It's hard to make a Perfect comparison between mg/ml and Cigarettes Smoked.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

BTW - One side note on Weird Taste.

When an e-Liquid is 1st Made, the Flavor it has can change (sometimes Significantly) as time goes by. We use the Slang term of it "Steeping".

Think of it as like what happens to Wine as it ages. Or how Spaghetti Sauce tastes been the Next Day after you make it.

If you have a Bottle of Something that is OK, but a Not the Greatest, don't throw it away. Just put it in a Cool Dark Place (away from Children and Pets) for a Week or so. Then Revisit it. It might surprise you how the Taste has Changed.

And I have Read (I don't use Tobacco Flavors) that some Benefit from sitting for a Month. Or sometimes Longer.

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA
BTW - One side note on Weird Taste.

When an e-Liquid is 1st Made, the Flavor it has can change (sometimes Significantly) as time goes by. We use the Slang term of it "Steeping".

Think of it as like what happens to Wine as it ages. Or how Spaghetti Sauce tastes been the Next Day after you make it.

If you have a Bottle of Something that is OK, but a Not the Greatest, don't throw it away. Just put it in a Cool Dark Place (away from Children and Pets) for a Week or so. Then Revisit it. It might surprise you how the Taste has Changed.

And I have Read (I don't use Tobacco Flavors) that some Benefit from sitting for a Month. Or sometimes Longer.
I've heard of steeping, and certainly noticed changes in off the shelf liquid.
Does that apply to unflavored liquid? I haven't really noticed any change over time, but I go through 30mL in about two weeks+\- and make more as needed.
I don't know if she'll ever even want to try flavor, but if I can mix something that suites me I'll certainly present the option.
I'm pretty excited about having some flavor in the mix.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I've heard of steeping, and certainly noticed changes in off the shelf liquid.
Does that apply to unflavored liquid? I haven't really noticed any change over time, but I go through 30mL in about two weeks+\- and make more as needed.
I don't know if she'll ever even want to try flavor, but if I can mix something that suites me I'll certainly present the option.
I'm pretty excited about having some flavor in the mix.

There's really No Change in Unflavored e-Liquids/Nicotine Base because of "Steeping". It is Only when there are Flavorings/Sweeteners present.

---

Being able to Mix your own e-Liquid (DIY) opens up an Entirely New World. It also is MUCH Cheaper than buying Retail e-Liquids.

It can Also be a Hedge against State/Federal Taxes and Regulations.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
Hi all,
Maybe you can help me figure this out:

I have been vaping for three months, no cigs, no major problems.
My wife still smokes, but has shown some interest in vaping at least part time. So I set her up with a Pico topped with a Nautilus X, filled with unflavored base at a 1.8% nic level, 70VG. Locked the pico at 14 watts.

She has tried it a couple of times, and each time experiences nausea. I vaped the on that rig with the same juice and settings for a week before I passed it along. No problems for me.

My first guess was PG sensitivity. Nausea is listed as a symptom in some places, but it seems like it more commonly affects the respiratory tract.

My second guess is nic level. She actually smokes more than I used to so I thought 1.8 would be fine... though she smokes filtered and I was smoking rollies.

My two long shots are composition of VG, and reaction to kanthal coil. I haven't even researched those possibilities cos they seem fairly unlikely.

I suppose a good test would be to have her try VG with no nic? (My nicotine is suspended in 50/50, really don't want VG nic unless it's beneficial to her)

Thanks in advance!

Everyone absorbs nicotine at different rates.. two people who smoke the exact same thing in the exact same amount, can absorb different amounts of nicotine into their bodies.

I am allergic to PG, and her symptoms do not match a pg allergy.. also, I get nauseated when I get too much nicotine.. so I am going to say, regardless of what she was smoking before, she is getting too much nicotine in her system using what she is using vaping right now..

What I would do is simply give her a lower nicotine level.. if you are giving her 18 right now, then cut it down to either 12 or 6 - but with the set up she is using paired with her nausea, I would honestly cut it all the way to 6..

She should be fine, with a lower level of nicotine.. but if that doesn't work, then I would try other things..

Reactions: zoiDman

Enso

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2017
Vermont, USA
Everyone absorbs nicotine at different rates.. two people who smoke the exact same thing in the exact same amount, can absorb different amounts of nicotine into their bodies.

I am allergic to PG, and her symptoms do not match a pg allergy.. also, I get nauseated when I get too much nicotine.. so I am going to say, regardless of what she was smoking before, she is getting too much nicotine in her system using what she is using vaping right now..

What I would do is simply give her a lower nicotine level.. if you are giving her 12 right now, then cut it down to 6, if your giving her 6 now, then cut it down to three..

She should be fine, with a lower level of nicotine.. but if that doesn't work, then I would try other things..

Reactions: Opinionated

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
totally. Started at 18, dropped to 9 with much better result. I think next time I mix I'll make her a 5 and that will probably be the sweet spot.

Good, I was just reading the rest of the thread, and saw that you said lower was a help.. yeah, I have a sister in law who smoked two packs a day, who needed 6 mg, whereas I needed 18 when I smoked the same amount.. everyone is just different.. your wife must not have absorbed as much nicotine when she smoked, for whatever reason..

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
totally. Started at 18, dropped to 9 with much better result. I think next time I mix I'll make her a 5 and that will probably be the sweet spot.

5 ? Nobody does 5.

5 isn't even an e-Liquid number. Make it 6mg/ml for the Win!

LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread