Vaping 2 years/still can't quit cigs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Littlebeanmachine

Oct 6, 2018
I've been vaping 2 years and still can't quit cigarettes :(. I've tried different flavors, different PG/VG, tried MTL and got frustrated, played around with nic strengths...I'm currently vaping on a Wasp Nano RDTA. I've gone through a vape pen, to crap tanks and beginner RDAs, to the Pharaoh and now my Wasp. I prefer the Wasp best so far. I enjoy a 3.6 tiger coil at 30 to 40 watts. I'm getting vape mail tomorrow and my juice will be 6mg. I can add more nic if need be. But what nic strength should I bump it up to? I'm still willing to play around with different strengths. I currently vape 4.5mg and smoke 5 to 10 cigarettes a day. Is there anything else I could/should do to help quit?

flavourchaser

ECF Veteran
Jun 25, 2018
yeah probably not enough nic. I vape 10mg nic on all my devices. If I cut down on the nic I dont feel satisfied atm. Also probably try the YFTK Haku Venna from fasttech, or buy the original in any case I find it to put out more flavour than the wasp nano. You can only try and see what works for you. Good luck and welcome to the hobby.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
Agree probably not enough nicotine level. Have you given Whole Tobacco Alkaloid juice a try. There are other things in cigarettes that make it hard to quit.

WTA ejuices are usually more expensive but have worked for some people to quit. You could get some unflavored and mix some in with normal juice you use to see if it helps.

Aroma sells a 24 mg or 36 mg WTA unflavored that can be mixed into regular ejuice.

Whole Tobacco Alkaloid WTA Eliquid Ejuice

Cobra Kai

May 24, 2017
Hell, Norway
Hi! What's your current pg/vg ratio? I'd bump up your nic level progressively higher to a point where you feel like your starting to get "too much" per vape session, that will help give you a base line. Lower it a little from there, & then start focusing on how to gradually substitute a cig or 2 out of the 9 or 10 you smoke during the day with the vape. Break up your daily cig triggers into sub-categories, & tackle them one by one.

It took me 2 years of dual use to finally get off smokes, what really helped me during the journey was constantly trying different tanks & styles until I found something that "clicked" (I didn't even realize I had found it for a month until it dawned on me that I kept reaching for the same tank to compare everything else to). So keep experimenting!

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
I've been vaping 2 years and still can't quit cigarettes :(. I've tried different flavors, different PG/VG, tried MTL and got frustrated, played around with nic strengths...I'm currently vaping on a Wasp Nano RDTA. I've gone through a vape pen, to crap tanks and beginner RDAs, to the Pharaoh and now my Wasp. I prefer the Wasp best so far. I enjoy a 3.6 tiger coil at 30 to 40 watts. I'm getting vape mail tomorrow and my juice will be 6mg. I can add more nic if need be. But what nic strength should I bump it up to? I'm still willing to play around with different strengths. I currently vape 4.5mg and smoke 5 to 10 cigarettes a day. Is there anything else I could/should do to help quit?
Number 1. Stop buying cigarettes. Until you find the strength to do that, and go through your personal battles with willpower, it won't happen. Go two weeks without cigarettes and you may never look back. You've done A hard part already (for some) and went through a few devices, found some stuff you like to vape. That gives you all the nicotine you want and replaces hand to mouth or fiddling habits. Now you have to take control of your life.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Since the act of smoking and the physical dependence is so multifaceted, its hard to pin point exactly which part is responsible for holding back the entire switch over to ecigs. Sometimes, it has nothing to do with sheer will-power but has everything to do with a chemical dependence beyond nicotine. These are the Whole Tobacco Alkaloids(WTA) that @Beamslider mentions in his posts. These stem from BT putting a whole host of different chemicals(that when combustion takes places they turn into different drugs) and people actually use cigarettes to self medicate(even if they don't realize it). These alkaloids have actually been extracted and placed into a solution that can be used in e-cigarettes. Aroma ejuice is one of several companies that make this product and is the first to do so after working with some chemist members here at ECF. The WTA is a little expensive but it works. There is a couple of other companies that offer WTA and I am sure other members will come along and list them for you. These other companies are not as expensive as Aroma, and as I understand, may not have the same quality as Aroma. But whatever works is the motto.

This may be just what you need to get you over the hump of switching over completely to e-cigs. Only you know what is holding you back. If it is the craving of not being satisfied with just the nicotine and your body is still screaming no matter how much you vape? Or is it the emotional aspect of letting go of something that you have come to consider as a friend? You decide and go from there.

Good luck and keep us informed as to your progress. All of the members here are always thrilled with a success story so I hope you will share your progress and they are always willing to help with any questions/concerns you may have also.

:)

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
You need to believe. One day, about 4 months in, I just did it.
I would also recommend higher nicotine. The day I quit I was vaping 12mg but used 24mg first thing in the morning and at times of stress. That was with old hardware. I recommend you get some 9/12mg.

Nikhforos

ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2018
Next time you're returning home with 5 cigs remaining in your pocket, don't stop to buy another pack.
Make sure you have some high nic juice home and when those 5 cigs are done, give it all you've got. Trust me, you can accomplish far greater things as a human being than that. Do as my picture says, let's go!

rosesense

14 years and counting
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 1, 2010
    TN
    You have gotten good advice. I will add my personal experience for what it is worth. I had a dependence that went beyond the nic/physical. I would have a panic attack if I ran out of cigs. The first week of vaping, I bought one pack and of course, I slowly smoked them. I had to tie myself down practically to not buy a pack for 'just in case'. I finally realized the worst thing that could happen is I would have to run to the corner store if I got that desperate so I didn't buy the back up pack. It was hard, I kept vaping and that was it, I never smoked again. That was almost 9 years ago.

It is different for everyone so keep trying things until you find what works, you can do it.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

Hi Littlebeanmachine. Welcome to the ECF.

I smoked for a Long Time. And for Me, I Couldn't quit smoking by just using an e-Cigarette with a Day 2 Day e-Liquid in it.

Sure, I cut down Dramatically. And I was OK for Most of the day. But when those Screaming Cravings would hit, and it seemed like the Entire World was Crashing Down around me, and the Only thing that would make it Stop was to Light a Cigarette, my normal e-Cigarette just Didn't cut it.

So what I did was to Fill Up a Second e-Cigarette with some Very High Nicotine. And I carried it around as my BGICOE (Break Glass in Case of an Emergency) e-Cigarette.

Then when the Blue Cravings struck me, or when the Seductive Allure of a Cigarette with my Mourning Coffee was just too much, I would pull out my BGICOE e-Cigarette and beat back the Urges with some High Nicotine.

You have to Want to Quit. Really Want to Quit. But if you get to a Point where You Really Want to Quit and you still Can't, then you need to Try Something Different.

It also Helps to Change your Daily Routines that we all fall into.

Get Up 15 Minutes Earlier than Normal and Stretch like you were going on a Run.
    Park with you Car Backed In at Work.
    Have Blue Cheese instead on Oil n' Vinegar or your Salad
    Take Different Route Home.
    Take a Walk around the Block after Dinner as the Sun is going Down.
    Stuff like this.

Quitting Cigarettes can be Very Hard. But you Can Make. Just Take it One Day at a Time. And just stay Focused on Not Smoking a Cigarette Today.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I'm glad you are trying Aroma, I don't think I could have quit without some WTA. It was still hard, so don't over expect you will still need to detach yourself from physical and psychological triggers, and you may STILL need to up your nicotine some.

I quit with my husband smoking, so that extra sucked. I do have to say, I used every skill, coping skill, and available method to quit, and I pretty much had to make it a full time endeavor.

Just go gently with yourself, vape right before (vape until you are almost nic sick) each cigarette (you may find yourself putting them out halfway through) vape DURING a cigarette, like half way through, and pay attention to the differences and what you are feeling/thinking and vape afterwards to reinforce vaping. Delay the 'hardest" cigarette of the day, even if it's by 10 minutes. Mine was the first cigarette of the day but I knew if I smoked it I would smoke all day long.

By all means try WTA it most certainly helped me, but I was a 3 ppd smoker when I quit, I had to use a lot of tools including "expectation management" in order to stop, to cope with my urges and etc.

It can 100% be done, but use every skill and tool available to you to make it happen.
    Good luck, you CAN do this.
    Anna

United States

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 17, 2018
    RVA
    Triggers. Figure out your triggers and try to change habits such as a trigger being morning coffee. Example there is switch to tea. My sister told me she had discovered her triggers and changed them one day. Her secret was to change them a few days before she decided to actually stop smoking. That way those new habits weren't equated with smoking, but done soon enough to become a new habit. She switched to green tea in the morning.

Her other worst trigger was comuting to work. She chose to keep losenges nearby to rid her taste buds of that "now is when I smoke" flavor. Lastly was her urge to smoke after meals. She did (and still does) nicotine losenges after meals 11 years later.

I asked her "why not vape?" Her response was "it's too much to smoking, like switching from bourbon to vodka to stop drinking." That was what worked for her.

I've changed habits but still smoke a few a day. So my goal is to not only reduce cigarettes, but nicotine along with it. So at first I smoked and vaped to my hearts content. Now I have reduced both with more vaping in traffic and with coffee but less overall in general.

I learned that for me, even high nicotine levels didn't stop me from smoking. It just made me dizzy while smoking. lol

Best regards in your efforts. We're all rooting for ya. Just take it easy on yourself and be glad you're down to a few a day. It wasn't easy for 99% of former smokers. And often times those last few a day are the toughest.

Last edited:

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 30, 2015
    ON. Canada
    I know there's a a lot of hate for it going right now but just grab a Juul and like 12 pods, use that to initially get you off the smokes then once your off continue with your wasp, if you vape like a pod a day you won't even be able to smoke because of so much nicotine already in your system.. they are 60mg and hit more like a smoke.

Could be a psychosomatic thing though.... Just vape even when you aren't craving a smoke to maintain your nicotine levels.

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    I currently vape 4.5mg and smoke 5 to 10 cigarettes a day. Is there anything else I could/should do to help quit?
    Instead of smoking your regular/favorite cigarettes, buy a brand that you wouldn't normally buy or smoke. If you're a non-menthol smoker, buy a menthol variety. If a menthol smoker, buy a non-menthol brand.

Don't smoke an entire cigarette when you do smoke. Smoke 1/3 or 1/2 of it, put it out and save the rest for the next bad craving. Those partially smoked cigs will taste on the nasty side, but that will help you quit.

Always vape more instead of automatically smoking a cigarette to relieve a craving.

Don't "reward" yourself with having a cigarette.

You probably do need to increase your e-liquid's nic concentration. Whatever it takes to relieve a craving.

Avoid situations that tend to be associated with smoking. Going to bars where alcohol is consumed. Hanging with other smokers. Don't put yourself in situations that you will be tempted to smoke.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    @https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/members/littlebeanmachine.337665/

All good stories here. What works for one might not do it for another. I've told this story in many threads, but here it goes again.

I stopped smoking after a year of vaping, but my first week vaping found me down from 2 PAD to about 6 cigs a day. That kind of sneaked up on me. I kept on smoking one after a meal and with coffee in the mornings.

That lasted almost a year. On my one year vaping anniversary I decided to order a Provari V2. That would be my gift to myself for dropping the last few. It came in and I finished the rest of a pack. I never smoked another one.

I was impressed that I could quit. I just stopped and never bought another pack. It's nine years and I haven't touched one since and haven't had a desire for one. Vaping fixed my smoking addiction.

Everyone's story is different, but maybe this thread will give you some ideas.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread