Vaping and CT Scan Results

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been in a smokers program where I get a lung CT scan every year.

For the last 13 CT scans nothing abnormal was detected. That’s one per year for 13 years.

Between my last scan and this years CT Scan I began vaping for approximately 10 months. (I don’t smoke cigarettes any longer and haven’t for many, many years.)

This years scan detected Atelectasis for the first time ever. The radiologist suggested another scan in 6 months instead of a year to monitor progress.

Atelectasis - Symptoms and causes

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
No but I am concerned because Vaping is the only logical variable in all the years I've been getting CT Scans.
I'm thinking cause and effect....so Vaping is suspious and concerns me as perhaps the cause.
Millions of people have been vaping for over a decade without that problem,, you vape for 10 months. I think something else has impacted you,, ie physical or environmental. But if you believe vaping caused your problem,, then you should quit vaping.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
No but I am concerned because Vaping is the only logical variable in all the years I've been getting CT Scans.
I'm thinking cause and effect....so Vaping is suspious and concerns me as perhaps the cause.
Guess it's possible that vaping could aggravate a preexisting condition or perhaps a rare side effect. Personally I'd quit vaping at least until the next ct scan and see if it clears up. You already know that you can stay away from smoking.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Why did you start vaping?
We have a few here that quit smoking years before picking up vaping. For some the urge to smoke rears it's ugly head from time to time or they just plain miss the habit. Some start for the health benefits of nic, some to curb an appetite for sweets. More than one valid reason to start vaping imo.

Reactions: puffon

Blitzdonlife

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2012
Central Texas

For the last 13 CT scans nothing abnormal was detected. That’s one per year for 13 years.

Between my last scan and this years CT Scan I began vaping for approximately 10 months. (I don’t smoke cigarettes any longer and haven’t for many, many years.)

This years scan detected Atelectasis for the first time ever. The radiologist suggested another scan in 6 months instead of a year to monitor progress.

Keep up with that, I agree with @bombastinator, that sounds serious.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    To discontinue the use of tobacco but keep the nicotine...healthier
    If my Dr. told me I had a complete or partial collapse of the entire lung or area (lobe) of the lung, I'd stop vaping and not wait 6 months for the next scan.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2017
    West Frankfort, IL
    No, I Vape a nicotine e-liquid from a reputable source with lab certificates (no diacetyl). No fancy/exotic flavorings.
    Your post clearly states you quit cigs years ago and have only been vaping 10 months. Math isn't adding up here.

Tabac man

ECF Veteran
    May 24, 2019
    London
    Maybe he started vaping to stop himself going back on the stinkies.

th

beckah54

Dog Lover!
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 27, 2009
    Ohio

Had you noticed any shortness of breath or other symptoms before your recent scan? Does your doctor advice a course of treatment for you?

Wishing you the best and hope this condition was not caused by vaping. I have not had a chest x-ray for a lot of years but I am going to tell my PCP that I want one. I have been vaping for over 10 years, smoked tobacco for 43 years before that, so I’m sure the state of my lungs is not the best.

• Optimistic
    Reactions: Blitzdonlife

Vapntime

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 22, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    I also have this, just recently confirmed by CT, 7 years of vaping, unflavoured for 5 years. Lungs were healthy before I started to vape. I had not smoked for 10 years before vaping and had no issues.

Shortness of breath was main consistent symptom (see next post)

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread