Lung Cancer Screening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
I turned 60 a few months ago and my doctor has talked me into getting a low level CT scan for lung cancer screening, what with my history of smoking pretty much most of my life. Yesterday, I had the screening before the screening, where I sat down with the nurse practitioner at the oncologists office and answered the 6 questions that determine if I qualify for the lung screening. I did qualify.

During the conversation with the NP I told her I hadn't smoked in 3 years but I had been vaping. She told me that in their industry I am considered a former smoker and that vaping was not considered smoking. She also told me that it was considered a safer alternative to smoking. I was surprised to hear that from someone in the medical community. So, we are making progress.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I had exactly the same experience. I, too, was questioned and my medical record now reflects me as "former smoker". My insurance company defines tobacco use as "combustible" and less than four times per month. My rates are as a non-smoker.
I agree with you that is progress toward rational definitions.

I turned 60 a few months ago and my doctor has talked me into getting a low level CT scan for lung cancer screening, what with my history of smoking pretty much most of my life. Yesterday, I had the screening before the screening, where I sat down with the nurse practitioner at the oncologists office and answered the 6 questions that determine if I qualify for the lung screening. I did qualify.

During the conversation with the NP I told her I hadn't smoked in 3 years but I had been vaping. She told me that in their industry I am considered a former smoker and that vaping was not considered smoking. She also told me that it was considered a safer alternative to smoking. I was surprised to hear that from someone in the medical community. So, we are making progress.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
That's good to hear that the medical community in the USA is starting to accept vaping as a healthier alternative.

I am a retired RN and physician's assistant (mid-level practitioner). I worked in a hospital setting in the operating room as a first assistant for nearly 30 years. I smoked for most of those years, and in 2012 I gave smoking up for vaping.

The hospital had a campus-wide ban on cigarettes and e-cigarettes my last year working in 2013. There was a zero tolerance for using either for hospital employees. (I discretely stealth vaped while at work.) I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty certain those rules are still enforced to this day by my former employer.

I will say that my personal practitioner (also a nurse practitioner) accepts my vaping.

Last edited:

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL

Hoping the scan goes well for you. Thanks for the positive news about the medical community updating their stance on vaping.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Good news. Anyone with common sense and minimal knowledge of chemistry from the school understands that vaping can't be worse than smoking. At very least. Good luck on your scan!
It's the common sense that seems to get in the way...

Chuck64

ECF Veteran
Nov 17, 2015
NV. USA
I was in the hospital in March 2016 for a pulmonary embolism, turns out I have a genetic clotting disorder and I have to take XARELTO for the rest of my life, but the doctor was pro-vaping. I even got the feeling he vaped too. I've heard opinions both ways. Sometimes it's almost comical the amount of ignorance the general public and even professionals such as doctors have on the subject.

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA

My portal had no place for it. Then the portal changed to have a place for ecigs, and it flagged you as a smoker when you checked it. Now they took the ecig sections away that flagged you as a smoker, but I think second hand smoke will still flag it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread