Vaping and health

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Orange

Jul 7, 2019
It’s been 1 month and 12 days of no cigs and vaping only so out of curiosity I just had my BP, heart rate and weight checked. Everything is solidly within normal range (when smoking it would be normal, but on the high end of normal). I have done nothing different other than no cigs. The weight loss was a surprise. Anyone else notice health differences so soon after switching to vaping?

Big Orange

Jul 7, 2019
Easily noticeable to me...within about 1 month of vaping...(after ending 50+ years of cigarette smoking)...I could effortlessly walk up the steep hills of Pittsburgh without any longer getting short of breath...:thumbs:

Will definitely have to get back out and exercise once it cools down. I suspect I won’t get as winded as I used to. Got to wait a couple of months though - August in Florida is brutal and I’m accustomed to the heat.

Big Orange

Jul 7, 2019
My blood pressure is down. I’ve gained some weight though because everything tastes so much better.

I thought I’d gain weight because of how tasty food is now. Surprised I actually lost weight TBH. I think it’s because I tend to like the sweet coil killing juices. They might actually be satisfying my sweet tooth.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Congrats on getting through your first month smoke-free, you are way over the hump now :thumb:

The first time I walked up a steep 1 mile long hill after 9 months smoke-free I was absolutely blown away. Previously I would be out of breath the entire way, and certainly unable to talk while walking. Breathing was difficult enough ;)

This time I barely got out of breath and that was only on the steep parts. I also had no problem talking while walking. It was like I had a different pair of lungs :thumb:

Big Orange

Jul 7, 2019
    Congrats on getting through your first month smoke-free, you are way over the hump now :thumb:

The first time I walked up a steep 1 mile long hill after 9 months smoke-free I was absolutely blown away. Previously I would be out of breath the entire way, and certainly unable to talk while walking. Breathing was difficult enough ;)

This time I barely got out of breath and that was only on the steep parts. I also had no problem talking while walking. It was like I had a different pair of lungs :thumb:

This is awesome! Love reading quit stories. There is so much to look forward to

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Off oral steroids after week one. Off abx after week two. Off inhalers/nebulizers after week 3.

Lungs clear on X-ray after 2 months. Small scar, not growing (my doc was happy about that.)

Hoarsness gone after 2 weeks. I could sing again I was SHOCKED at how much I missed it (it had been about 9 months.)

O2 sats up, BP down heartrate down oh, I guess after my second or third f/u visit.

3 years in finally got a real physical plus labwork. I had not been taking my cholesterol med and was pretty sure I'd get a lecture and a script. NOPE! Everything within normal range, most of it GOOD normal.

I am not sure I would be dead if I'd kept smoking, but I'm fairly certain I WOULD be um, carting an oxygen tank.

I think about that sometimes when I think about vaping costs to get to self sufficiency. COPD is not a CHEAP or pleasant way to go.

Anna

Big Orange

Jul 7, 2019
    Off oral steroids after week one. Off abx after week two. Off inhalers/nebulizers after week 3.

Lungs clear on X-ray after 2 months. Small scar, not growing (my doc was happy about that.)

Hoarsness gone after 2 weeks. I could sing again I was SHOCKED at how much I missed it (it had been about 9 months.)

O2 sats up, BP down heartrate down oh, I guess after my second or third f/u visit.

3 years in finally got a real physical plus labwork. I had not been taking my cholesterol med and was pretty sure I'd get a lecture and a script. NOPE! Everything within normal range, most of it GOOD normal.

I am not sure I would be dead if I'd kept smoking, but I'm fairly certain I WOULD be um, carting an oxygen tank.

I think about that sometimes when I think about vaping costs to get to self sufficiency. COPD is not a CHEAP or pleasant way to go.

Anna

WOW! That is incredible! This is the type of story that needs to be reported in the news occasionally IMO. All I ever see are horror stories - exploding vapes, kids with collapsed lungs, etc... My mom will not even try it because of the things she’s read.

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    My mom will not even try it because of the things she’s read.

I was literally dying when I came here. I mean, I had sort of intractable pneumonia for 18 months straight and they thought I had laryngeal cancer, I had to get scoped on that one. I felt REALLY bad for my PCP because they'd been treating me for "allergies" and I finally came in and said, "I have been this hoarse for X months, I think maybe something else is going on. My doc read my chart (I had a couple and had seen the other one for a while....) and his face went WHITE. He told his nurse," GET her a STAT referral to an ENT, she's right, it has been TOO long."

He was really convinced and I actually ended up comforting HIM I was like, "Well, if I do, I kind of earned it." I don't know what they said to the ENT place because I called to ID myself and the secretary was like, "Where are you?" and I was like, "Do you mean my address?" and she was like, "No, what are your CROSS streets." Then she told me to drive straight there.

I actually called my doc after I got told no, I was just needing to reduce my smoking "To zero."

My docs helped me a lot, I was with a really great practice. I mean, of course they told me to stop. But it was more they had been my docs for 10 years and they were just like, "OMG this lovely 41 year old is going to die of COPD I HATE cigarettes." It was written all over their faces.

Then my son (who quit smoking by vaping) quit vaping. He gifted me his vape gear and it made me feel grave guilt. I mean, I was like, my 18 year old can quit VAPING, and I won't even try to START vaping?

So I did and well it was DL gear and I got to ECF and the rest was history. This is why I love this place so much, frankly. Getting caught up in "new things" and new skills and all that, it kept my mind of smoking.

When you are a 3 ppd smoker and you quit, some things are mind blowing. You can smell. You can eat. I had NO IDEA what food tasted like or what *I* must have smelled like. I never get pneumonia. Life is SO GOOD.

My docs were about as happy as me they told me to "never quit vaping" because they KNOW me and also are not jerks about vaping. In fact, one of my doctors vaped, he was really helpful with the PG thing.

You tell your mom I will talk to her *anytime* if she says yes, PM me. LOL.

When I say ECF saved my life, I truly mean it and also my QUALITY of life, Oh my gosh.

Anna

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    Anyone else notice health differences so soon after switching to vaping?

My story isn't as dramatic as Anna's, but about a month after switching I failed to get pneumonia for the first spring in three or four years. I've continuously failed to acquire pneumonia (or any other chest infection) for six years now.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread