Vaping and thrush

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robin Lewis

Aug 1, 2018
i have been vaping for 8 years,
After quiting smoking.
I have had thrush aprox. 14 times and never had it ever in my life before vaping. The Rx from the Dr. takes it away but it is a problem.
I haven’t quit vaping since it is very helpful for my severe anxiety.
Also extremely healthier, I was one step from C.O.P.D. From smoking. Vaping and no breathing problems.
I clean my vape constantly, every tank
Fill like 2-3 times a day. I wonder if anyone has any ideas?
I vape one flavor and it only comes 50/50.

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I have had thrush aprox. 14 times and never had it ever in my life before vaping.I wonder if anyone has any ideas?
Thrush (Oral Candidiasis) can be the result of having a dry mouth and upsetting the normal flora (bacteria) in the mouth.

Vaping can result in dry mouth in some individuals. The Pg and Vg in e-liquid (both being hydrophillic) can draw moisture from the mucous membranes. Experienced vapers often recommend that new vapers increase their oral liquid intake to prevent this from occuring.

You could also suck on some hard candy or chew gum to encourage your saliva production while vaping.

Of course there are other medical factors which can cause thrush, some of them serious, which should be investigated by your medical practitioner.

Last edited:

Less_is_More

Aug 2, 2018
Baditude has some excellent suggestions. You do need to hydrate more often, especially vaping that much fluid in one day.

Once you get it under control with medication, I suggest taking a full spectrum probiotic. It won't get rid of active thrush, but will help prevent a new yeast infection from developing.

Also, try switching up on the e-juice you're using. Try a different mix and a different manufacturer. You could be sensitive to a certain flavor additive or the VG/PG combo.

I also have been vaping for 8 years and never had this experience, but I also have a "juicy mouth," or so my dentist tells me. Maybe try rinsing your mouth with Biotene, which is a non-alcohol mouthwash often recommended for cancer patients to help mouth sores from treatment. It helps moisten the mouth.

Good luck! I know that changing from smoking to vaping is saving me, but I quit too late and do have COPD. Doc thinks it won't progress, since I stopped smoking. We'll see.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think I have heard that PG has MORE of a drying effect than VG, so you might want to look at your ratios (and certainly maybe try more than ONE vendor) if I suspected my vaping, I would have probably tried some different vendors a long time ago.

I have extremely dry mouth due to having dentures. I drink a lot and often will have a ricola in my mouth to encourage saliva production. Sugar free (since it's thrush) lozenges might be even better. There is biotene, although I have to say their products have the most longevity (it seems to me) when used overnight.

If it's the vapor itself that seems to be the issue, you could try a higher resistance, higher nicotine setup and see if that helps, too.

Best of luck,

Anna

• Informative
Reactions: Chibisaurus

Just Me

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2010
All good suggestions.

You might also try taking 1000mg L-Lysine once or twice a day on an empty stomach for a week or so. It's an amino acid that breaks the DNA cycle of certain types of herpes/canker sores.

All best to you, and good luck.

This post was edited to correct "take it with food". Supposed to be on an empty stomach.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: stols001
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread