The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Vaping at a gas station

Discussion in 'Law and the E-Cigarette' started by HeavenNorHell, Dec 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. HeavenNorHell

HeavenNorHell Senior Member ECF Veteran Verified Member

Obviously, you can't smoke analogs at a gas station as that could cause.. well, you know. What about PVs though? I wouldn't think they could ignite the gas, but, I want to hear from you guys on this. If I were to be vaping at a gas station, could the workers there force me to stop? If I didn't, could they deny service, or have me arrested?

2. HeavenNorHell

Forgot to mention, even though it says on my location, I'm in Washington state, and I'm unaware of any ecigarette bans here. I walk through the grocery store and will take a few puffs, never been bothered, I just don't do so when I'm close to others, for respect reasons.

3. WillyZee

WillyZee Vaping Master ECF Veteran Verified Member

Sep 23, 2013
    Toronto
    seriously now ... why would you want to vape at a gas station?

4. HeavenNorHell

I'm not talking about stepping out of my car and vaping it up while pumping gas, obviously. That would just be stupid. I'm talking about pulling up, and still vaping, window down, and someone happens to see and gets paranoid.

5. lvm111

lvm111 Super Member ECF Veteran Verified Member

Aug 20, 2013
    Wylie, Texas
    I don't claim to be an expert, in fact, I outright disclaim it. Having stated that, Here's what I think.

It's extremely unlikely for a lit cigarette to ignite gas fumes while filling your car. It's just a common sense precaution to prohibit smoking at gas stations. it would take a bizarre situation, not just smoking, to create a fire. You can throw a lit cigarette in a puddle of gasoline, and the only thing that will happen is the cigarette will be extinguished. The gasoline can't be ignited, only gasoline vapors can. But even then, the gasoline vapors must be in a fairly narrow ratio with air, and with an ignition source, to ignite. A lit cigarette is not an ignition source, a spark or flame is. You would have to spill gas all over the place, then use a lighter very close to the spill, to even come close to starting a fire. Or light a cig very close to the car where the gas hose is, and have absolutely no wind or air movement, to start a fire. People smoked all the time at gas stations when I was younger, and I never heard of a resulting fire.

As for vaping. While I'm sure no one would like observing that activity, IMO, it's unlikely to start a fire. Unless, you tried real hard like I just described. Even harder in fact. Because the coils get hot in an enclosed atomizer, it would probably be virtually impossible to even intentionally start a gas fire. You would have to create a spark between your battery and atomizer. And have the proper gasoline vapor/ air ratio.

best regards, larry mac

p.s. (this is factual, anyone can easily google it) The lower and upper limits of gasoline vapor to air must be between 1.4 and 7.6 %. That means 1.4% gasoline vapor and 98.6% air, up to 7.6% gasoline vapor and 92.4% air. Any less, or more and it can't be ignited at ambient temperatures.

p.s.s. I've personally smoked, and now vaped, many many times at gas stations.

6. WindyCityJoe

WindyCityJoe Ultra Member ECF Veteran Verified Member

Oct 6, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    I do it, no different than using any other battery operated device in my car.

7. Mrs C

Mrs C Ultra Member ECF Veteran Verified Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Indiana
    At most they might hit the loudspeaker and ask you to stop smoking if they don't know it's vape, and you are close to the pumps.

8. JacobDaniel

JacobDaniel Senior Member ECF Veteran Verified Member

Apr 13, 2011
    Jackson, Michigan
    what lvm111 said was dead on point, I have tested this with a cigarette. But your every day Joe don't know fact vs. myth.
    Also, I don't think one would be arrested (less the situation escalated), but they can deny service to anyone for almost any reason.
    From your second post, at the most I think they would tell you on their intercom system.

But people seem to get more stupid every day, and you cannot justify proving a point to people like that.

9. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All* ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Maybe it's me, but I don't vape when I'm at a Gas Station.

I know all it would do is Freak People Out. And why do I want to go out of my way to Freak People Out?

10. lvm111

Aug 20, 2013
    Wylie, Texas
    Well, to clarify, I walk away from the pumps while my car is filling, and stealthily vape. But people did smoke all the time at gas stations. It would look crazy now, seeing someone with a lit cig dangling from their lips while they pumped gas. lol.

best regards, larry mac

11. Racehorse

Racehorse ECF Guru ECF Veteran Verified Member

Jul 12, 2012
    USA midwest
    ANYwhere that is private property, you can be forced to stop, denied service, or arrested for not complying.

So not sure how this applies to anything special due to being a gas station?

12. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    Are you saying that You stealth vape at Gas Stations?

Why?

13. nicetucu

nicetucu Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 19, 2013
    Salem, Oregon
    I vape in my car while getting gas. Nobody has ever said a word. Here in Oregon you can't pump your own gas and it's no more dangerous than taking a cell phone out and using it during the fill up. I do get looks from other people from time to time that don't realize what I'm doing.

14. lvm111

Aug 20, 2013
    Wylie, Texas
    Why not? I know it's not hazardous. And if no one see's me, well, what's the harm?

best regards, larry mac

15. TXSundevil

TXSundevil Full Member

Oct 9, 2013
    Dallas, TX, USA
    At most, it's what 10-15 minutes out of my life? I can live til I'm clear of the gas station and not even tempt fate, or freak any one out. For me this is my approach to all things vaping, and alot of other things as well. This reminds me of answering cell phones at the dinner table, or at the movies, sure you can do it...but WHY? I mean really. I am all for those unalienable human rights, but with courtesy, restraint, and common sense.

• Like Like x 2
  16. kenbu

kenbu Senior Member ECF Veteran

Oct 30, 2013
    Oregon
    Another unfortunate Oregonian here who has to wait for someone to pump my gas for me and I have puffed away in my car while filling up and never had anyone blink even with the attendent standing right next to my car.

I can't see how an e cig would be anymore dangerous than a cell phone or all the electronics of the car itself. I promise however that I will avoid performing a dry burn while filling up. ;-)

17. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    I don't use a e-Cigarette at a Gas Station for a Multitude of reasons.

I know that sooner or later Someone is going to see me and think that I am Smoking. And I can't fault someone for Freaking Out if they saw someone Smoking at a Gas Station. Call it Common Courtesy.

Another is out of respect to the Owners of the Gas Station. I have owned Businesses and know how just how Hard it is to make Profits. When my actions can cause someone else to Lose Business I think I should have a Good Reason. And Not just because I can.

The Biggest Reason though is I don't see using an e-Cigarette in a Gas Station as helping e-Cigarette users in general. Pissing People Off is a Great Way to get the ball rolling for More and More e-Cigarette Restrictions. Restrictions that Usually go Way Farther than just Prohibiting the use of e-Cigarettes at Gas Stations. It just gives more fuel to the ANTZ. And makes defeating Pending Legislation Harder.

This is the part I Don't Get?

I didn't Smoking at Gas Stations. Why do I now have to Vape at One?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Jay-dub

Jay-dub Moved On

Oct 10, 2013
    Kansas City, MO
    Personally, whatever the device, people should be able to set them down once in while to complete a task. Though, I'll take a puff or two right there at the pump if I forgot to puff on the way. If I feel like vaping I'm not going to be coy or act paranoid or anything. That's when people think you're up to something.

19. lvm111

Aug 20, 2013
    Wylie, Texas
    Hey, I get it. I've had the same viewpoint about people vaping in the grocery store checkout line. I regard that as being just too much "in your face", and provocative.

However, I don't see the two as being the same thing. I've long smoked at gas stations. You start filling, step away from the pumps, and smoke a cigarette. As long as I'm not standing by the pumps, I don't see anything wrong with it. Now that I don't smoke cigarettes, I'm supposed to change my behavior?

First off, it's not "tempting fate", as far as safety is concerned, IMO. If you're skittish about it, I perfectly understand. Nothing wrong with that. I have a little better understanding of the science involved than your average citizen, having worked in laboratories for over 40 years. 22 in oil & gas labs, plus environmental, and food research labs. Also over 20 years as safety officer.

Secondly, how would me stealth vaping at a gas station cause the business to lose money? That doesn't compute.

Thirdly, If I'm stealth vaping, how am I going to piss anyone off? The whole point of "stealth" vaping is doing it stealthily. That means not openly, not in your face. Not doing it in a way that is going to piss anybody off.

best regards, larry mac

20. zoiDman

Supporting member
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    If you Don't see anything Wrong with Smoking at a Gas Station, then I can see why you Wouldn't Feel that there is Anything wrong with Vaping at a Gas Station Either.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.