Vaping at a gas station

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeavenNorHell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
VaporLounge, Washington, USA
Obviously, you can't smoke analogs at a gas station as that could cause.. well, you know. What about PVs though? I wouldn't think they could ignite the gas, but, I want to hear from you guys on this. If I were to be vaping at a gas station, could the workers there force me to stop? If I didn't, could they deny service, or have me arrested?

lvm111

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2013
Wylie, Texas
I don't claim to be an expert, in fact, I outright disclaim it. Having stated that, Here's what I think.

It's extremely unlikely for a lit cigarette to ignite gas fumes while filling your car. It's just a common sense precaution to prohibit smoking at gas stations. it would take a bizarre situation, not just smoking, to create a fire. You can throw a lit cigarette in a puddle of gasoline, and the only thing that will happen is the cigarette will be extinguished. The gasoline can't be ignited, only gasoline vapors can. But even then, the gasoline vapors must be in a fairly narrow ratio with air, and with an ignition source, to ignite. A lit cigarette is not an ignition source, a spark or flame is. You would have to spill gas all over the place, then use a lighter very close to the spill, to even come close to starting a fire. Or light a cig very close to the car where the gas hose is, and have absolutely no wind or air movement, to start a fire. People smoked all the time at gas stations when I was younger, and I never heard of a resulting fire.

As for vaping. While I'm sure no one would like observing that activity, IMO, it's unlikely to start a fire. Unless, you tried real hard like I just described. Even harder in fact. Because the coils get hot in an enclosed atomizer, it would probably be virtually impossible to even intentionally start a gas fire. You would have to create a spark between your battery and atomizer. And have the proper gasoline vapor/ air ratio.

best regards, larry mac

p.s. (this is factual, anyone can easily google it) The lower and upper limits of gasoline vapor to air must be between 1.4 and 7.6 %. That means 1.4% gasoline vapor and 98.6% air, up to 7.6% gasoline vapor and 92.4% air. Any less, or more and it can't be ignited at ambient temperatures.

p.s.s. I've personally smoked, and now vaped, many many times at gas stations.

Last edited:

JacobDaniel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 13, 2011
Jackson, Michigan
jacobselectronics.net
what lvm111 said was dead on point, I have tested this with a cigarette. But your every day Joe don't know fact vs. myth.
Also, I don't think one would be arrested (less the situation escalated), but they can deny service to anyone for almost any reason.
From your second post, at the most I think they would tell you on their intercom system.

But people seem to get more stupid every day, and you cannot justify proving a point to people like that.

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
Obviously, you can't smoke analogs at a gas station as that could cause.. well, you know. What about PVs though? I wouldn't think they could ignite the gas, but, I want to hear from you guys on this. If I were to be vaping at a gas station, could the workers there force me to stop? If I didn't, could they deny service, or have me arrested?

ANYwhere that is private property, you can be forced to stop, denied service, or arrested for not complying.

So not sure how this applies to anything special due to being a gas station?

TXSundevil

Oct 9, 2013
Dallas, TX, USA
At most, it's what 10-15 minutes out of my life? I can live til I'm clear of the gas station and not even tempt fate, or freak any one out. For me this is my approach to all things vaping, and alot of other things as well. This reminds me of answering cell phones at the dinner table, or at the movies, sure you can do it...but WHY? I mean really. I am all for those unalienable human rights, but with courtesy, restraint, and common sense.

kenbu

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2013
Oregon
Another unfortunate Oregonian here who has to wait for someone to pump my gas for me and I have puffed away in my car while filling up and never had anyone blink even with the attendent standing right next to my car.

I can't see how an e cig would be anymore dangerous than a cell phone or all the electronics of the car itself. I promise however that I will avoid performing a dry burn while filling up. ;-)

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Why not? I know it's not hazardous. And if no one see's me, well, what's the harm?

best regards, larry mac

I don't use a e-Cigarette at a Gas Station for a Multitude of reasons.

I know that sooner or later Someone is going to see me and think that I am Smoking. And I can't fault someone for Freaking Out if they saw someone Smoking at a Gas Station. Call it Common Courtesy.

Another is out of respect to the Owners of the Gas Station. I have owned Businesses and know how just how Hard it is to make Profits. When my actions can cause someone else to Lose Business I think I should have a Good Reason. And Not just because I can.

The Biggest Reason though is I don't see using an e-Cigarette in a Gas Station as helping e-Cigarette users in general. Pissing People Off is a Great Way to get the ball rolling for More and More e-Cigarette Restrictions. Restrictions that Usually go Way Farther than just Prohibiting the use of e-Cigarettes at Gas Stations. It just gives more fuel to the ANTZ. And makes defeating Pending Legislation Harder.

At most, it's what 10-15 minutes out of my life? I can live til I'm clear of the gas station and not even tempt fate, or freak any one out. ....

This is the part I Don't Get?

I didn't Smoking at Gas Stations. Why do I now have to Vape at One?

Last edited:

lvm111

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 20, 2013
Wylie, Texas
Hey, I get it. I've had the same viewpoint about people vaping in the grocery store checkout line. I regard that as being just too much "in your face", and provocative.

However, I don't see the two as being the same thing. I've long smoked at gas stations. You start filling, step away from the pumps, and smoke a cigarette. As long as I'm not standing by the pumps, I don't see anything wrong with it. Now that I don't smoke cigarettes, I'm supposed to change my behavior?

First off, it's not "tempting fate", as far as safety is concerned, IMO. If you're skittish about it, I perfectly understand. Nothing wrong with that. I have a little better understanding of the science involved than your average citizen, having worked in laboratories for over 40 years. 22 in oil & gas labs, plus environmental, and food research labs. Also over 20 years as safety officer.

Secondly, how would me stealth vaping at a gas station cause the business to lose money? That doesn't compute.

Thirdly, If I'm stealth vaping, how am I going to piss anyone off? The whole point of "stealth" vaping is doing it stealthily. That means not openly, not in your face. Not doing it in a way that is going to piss anybody off.

best regards, larry mac

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

However, I don't see the two as being the same thing. I've long smoked at gas stations. You start filling, step away from the pumps, and smoke a cigarette. As long as I'm not standing by the pumps, I don't see anything wrong with it. Now that I don't smoke cigarettes, I'm supposed to change my behavior?

If you Don't see anything Wrong with Smoking at a Gas Station, then I can see why you Wouldn't Feel that there is Anything wrong with Vaping at a Gas Station Either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread