Vaping at a gas station

Status
Not open for further replies.

TXSundevil

Oct 9, 2013
Dallas, TX, USA
Larry, I get where your comming from, and myself don't have an issue with what your saying, basicly not like your standing right next to your car right at the nozzle puffin away. Even though, as you've mentioned science wise, you could. My folks did that for years too, my grandpa would pull up....nozzle in...start the pump...and step off to the near by curb and have a smoke. Like I said courtesy, restraint and common sense....your routine hits on all of the above.

HeavenNorHell

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
VaporLounge, Washington, USA
Damn, a lot happened in this thread while I was sleeping. Can't y'all wait up for OP?

My favorite post by far:
I don't claim to be an expert, in fact, I outright disclaim it. Having stated that, Here's what I think.

It's extremely unlikely for a lit cigarette to ignite gas fumes while filling your car. It's just a common sense precaution to prohibit smoking at gas stations. it would take a bizarre situation, not just smoking, to create a fire. You can throw a lit cigarette in a puddle of gasoline, and the only thing that will happen is the cigarette will be extinguished. The gasoline can't be ignited, only gasoline vapors can. But even then, the gasoline vapors must be in a fairly narrow ratio with air, and with an ignition source, to ignite. A lit cigarette is not an ignition source, a spark or flame is. You would have to spill gas all over the place, then use a lighter very close to the spill, to even come close to starting a fire. Or light a cig very close to the car where the gas hose is, and have absolutely no wind or air movement, to start a fire. People smoked all the time at gas stations when I was younger, and I never heard of a resulting fire.

As for vaping. While I'm sure no one would like observing that activity, IMO, it's unlikely to start a fire. Unless, you tried real hard like I just described. Even harder in fact. Because the coils get hot in an enclosed atomizer, it would probably be virtually impossible to even intentionally start a gas fire. You would have to create a spark between your battery and atomizer. And have the proper gasoline vapor/ air ratio.

best regards, larry mac

p.s. (this is factual, anyone can easily google it) The lower and upper limits of gasoline vapor to air must be between 1.4 and 7.6 %. That means 1.4% gasoline vapor and 98.6% air, up to 7.6% gasoline vapor and 92.4% air. Any less, or more and it can't be ignited at ambient temperatures.

p.s.s. I've personally smoked, and now vaped, many many times at gas stations.

This was the point I was getting at. It's kind of an unknown fact that analogs lighting gas fumes is rare, but possible. That led me to the conclusion an atty would be even more rare, if even possible. Yes they could deny me service, but the real question I should have asked is "Would they?". I wouldn't mess with smoking at a gas station personally, but vaping seems like a very low risk.

I vape in my car while getting gas. Nobody has ever said a word. Here in Oregon you can't pump your own gas and it's no more dangerous than taking a cell phone out and using it during the fill up. I do get looks from other people from time to time that don't realize what I'm doing.

I wish that was the case here.

generic mutant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
UK
As soon as people start using home modified phones with high-drain batteries, outputting ten or more amps, with mechanical switches, that'll be a valid comparison.

Mods, like it or not, do spark at the switches. The fact that *yours* doesn't (assuming you know that) makes no difference at all - do you expect them to be able to tell the difference?

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
The 6 minutes it takes to fill up a tank is just too long to go without a vape.

must be a 12 gallon tank.... figure 3.00 a gallon 10 cents a second 30 seconds a gallon 12 gallons = 360 seconds = 6 minutes
and if you prepay!! add on another 40 seconds
My work van has a 32 gallon tank thats about 16 minutes to fill...

and it takes 3.5 times longer to fill your tank than it did back in the 70's... gas was dispensed at 10 cents per second then too but at 75 cents a gallon 7-8 seconds per gallon... 12 gallon tank fill time about 2 minutes.

Last edited:

Bunnykiller

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2013
New Orleans La.
As soon as people start using home modified phones with high-drain batteries, outputting ten or more amps, with mechanical switches, that'll be a valid comparison.

Mods, like it or not, do spark at the switches. The fact that *yours* doesn't (assuming you know that) makes no difference at all - do you expect them to be able to tell the difference?

but what are the odds of fuel vapors entering a mod?

Bramble

ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2014
Utah
Obviously, you can't smoke analogs at a gas station as that could cause.. well, you know. What about PVs though? I wouldn't think they could ignite the gas, but, I want to hear from you guys on this. If I were to be vaping at a gas station, could the workers there force me to stop? If I didn't, could they deny service, or have me arrested?

Why would they have to "force you to stop" or have you arrested? Yeah if they don't like it they will let you know. If you are belligerent about it or cause a problem about it they might call the police but in general the police have something better to do than respond to complaints that someone hit off a vape while pumping their gas. They aren't truant officers.

Not to sound rude (I promise I'm not)... but how old are you?

patkin

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 6, 2012
Arizona USA
My smoking went from one to two PAD in retirement. When I reach the point of my PV becoming a pacifier I can't be without for a few minutes like a 5-year-old still sucking on one then I've developed another problem. Seriously, I might be there already and have been thinking about it. I used to be able to sit in the hospital waiting room (done often due to Hubby's medical condition) for over an hour without a problem as a smoker but have been finding myself getting anxious without my PV to suck on. Thinking of going to a Kojac/Telly Savalas sucker... just need to find one without sugar to break myself. I sure don't want to reach of the point of the few minutes it takes to pump gas becoming a problem.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... I sure don't want to reach of the point of the few minutes it takes to pump gas becoming a problem.

I hear you patkin.

Sometimes I read things in threads like this and just Shake my Head. It seems like some people can't get from the Cab to the Curb without Taking a Hit off an e-Cigarette.

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
Obviously, you can't smoke analogs at a gas station as that could cause.. well, you know. What about PVs though? I wouldn't think they could ignite the gas, but, I want to hear from you guys on this. If I were to be vaping at a gas station, could the workers there force me to stop? If I didn't, could they deny service, or have me arrested?

On private property the owner makes the rules. I don't think it is a good idea even though the chance of a warm enclosed coil setting off fumes is fairly remote. Also remote chance a battery meltdown at that exact moment could cause disaster. You should turn off cell phones too. Again a remote chance but is it worth the risk?

MsAgro

ECF Veteran
Feb 3, 2014
The land of ruby slippers, USA
I do occasionally vape at our local gas station. They know me and I know them... And they were the ones that sold my hubz and I our first sets of Blu's. Heck the staff stands right outside their own front door close to the pumps, smokes their analogs, and chat us up.

If I were at a different gas station? Meh, probably not... Mostly because I get there, do my business, and get out without lingering.

Sundodger

ECF Veteran
Sep 22, 2013
All 57 States
Comparing a PV to a cellphone is like comparing apples and oranges. Both are electronic, but the cellphone receives and transmits. Even though people believe the Myth Busters episode that showed no danger, that Myth Buster has been proven wrong.

Also comparing throwing a lit cig into a bucket of gas and standing next to a car while fueling is not right. While fueling the vapors that are built up in the tank vent and then you are pumping more gas into it causing the gas vapors to mix with air making more likely to ignite while venting. Best case is if the wind blows the cherry off near the tank/nozzle. We played in the service with such scenarios and it wasn't pretty most of the time.

Vaping while fueling, other than making others go down the street to get gas probably isn't bad. But the private property owner trumps all, if they don't like it, don't do it.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I don't Vape at a Gas Station so much because I think it is Going to Cause a Fire.

I think the Possibility of that Happing is VERY Remote.

I don't Vape because I Know it is Going to Freak People Out who don't know that I'm using an e-Cigarette and not a Lit Cigarette. And I see No Reason to Freak People Out if I Don't Have to.

Call it Common Courtesy or Respect for People.

That and I just Don't have it So Bad that I Can't go 5 Minutes Without Taking a Hit of a PV. So Why do It?

I think the reason he is doing this is the exact same reason he posted the thread explaining why he does it - attention. Look dude, yes, you can do it with next to no chance of causing a fire, but for the sake of 15 minutes I just don't know why the hell you would do this. It gives us other responsible vapors a bad name. There is a difference between rights and responsibilities. Yes, you "can" do it, but you run the risk of freaking people out. E-Cig's are still new, the whole reason you posted this is because you know there is something "strange" about it. It's similar to people who go out on "Open Carry Pick Ups" where US citizens open carry there guns in numbers simply because they can, what they don't see is what is really happening, a bunch of concerned people worried about a group of individuals walking around with guns out in the open. Multiple calls to 911, taking up the Police's time for what? Nothing other than to boost the ego of the people responsible (or should I say, irresponsible).

Do what makes you happy, vape inside a Church if you want, go and vape in a museum or the local playground. You have the right to! Why not exercise it? It's this sort of mentality that drives me insane. I know I should mind my own business but when it's posted on an open forum for the input of it's members I'm going to speak my mind {MODERATED} Gas Stations are exactly that, places where there is highly flammable material being transferred into motor vehicles. There is a reason for the "No Smoking" signs plastered literally everywhere and here in Australia there are even signs requesting people to switch their phones off. Why? Because the risks outweigh the benefits. Using a mobile phone outweighs the benefits when filling up with gas.

The fact that we vape instead of smoke is generally because we are aware of the risks associated with tobacco smoking. We should do our thing because we are responsible people, not because we can get away with it anywhere.

I don't know about the US, I spend a great deal of time there because of my job but I live in Australia. There must be a cultural difference here, I would never dream of vaping in or around a gas station. For the 15 minutes I'm prepared to put other people first, not because I know there is .000009% chance of something happening, but because I'm being courteous and respectful to the people around me who probably don't realise that the vapor coming out of my mouth isn't smoke.

You can do what you want, like I said. But you asked for the forum's opinion and here's one.

Last edited by a moderator:

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
... Look dude, yes, you can do it with next to no chance of causing a fire, but for the sake of 15 minutes I just don't know why the hell you would do this. It gives us other responsible vapors a bad name. There is a difference between rights and responsibilities. ...

Very well Put alstar5.

CalamityJess

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I think the reason he is doing this is the exact same reason he posted the thread explaining why he does it - attention. Look dude, yes, you can do it with next to no chance of causing a fire, but for the sake of 15 minutes I just don't know why the hell you would do this. It gives us other responsible vapors a bad name. There is a difference between rights and responsibilities. Yes, you "can" do it, but you run the risk of freaking people out. E-Cig's are still new, the whole reason you posted this is because you know there is something "strange" about it. It's similar to people who go out on "Open Carry Pick Ups" where US citizens open carry there guns in numbers simply because they can, what they don't see is what is really happening, a bunch of concerned people worried about a group of individuals walking around with guns out in the open. Multiple calls to 911, taking up the Police's time for what? Nothing other than to boost the ego of the people responsible (or should I say, irresponsible).

Do what makes you happy, vape inside a Church if you want, go and vape in a museum or the local playground. You have the right to! Why not exercise it? It's this sort of mentality that drives me insane. I know I should mind my own business but when it's posted on an open forum for the input of it's members I'm going to speak my mind - {MODERATED}. Gas Stations are exactly that, places where there is highly flammable material being transferred into motor vehicles. There is a reason for the "No Smoking" signs plastered literally everywhere and here in Australia there are even signs requesting people to switch their phones off. Why? Because the risks outweigh the benefits. Using a mobile phone outweighs the benefits when filling up with gas.

The fact that we vape instead of smoke is generally because we are aware of the risks associated with tobacco smoking. We should do our thing because we are responsible people, not because we can get away with it anywhere.

I don't know about the US, I spend a great deal of time there because of my job but I live in Australia. There must be a cultural difference here, I would never dream of vaping in or around a gas station. For the 15 minutes I'm prepared to put other people first, not because I know there is .000009% chance of something happening, but because I'm being courteous and respectful to the people around me who probably don't realise that the vapor coming out of my mouth isn't smoke.

You can do what you want, like I said. But you asked for the forum's opinion and here's one.

I'm with you on this, and not just at gas stations. Mostly because when I'm out and about, I just don't want to deal with peoples' drama. If I'm out to get something done, or just having a nice day I don't want to have to sit there and argue the point of smoking vs vaping, I just want to do what I set out to do and go home (I have some nasty social anxiety). Besides the ones that freak the heck out are the ones that don't want to learn anyhow.

I don't need the hit when I'm in a store or restaurant or gas station because my body has been trained for years (24 years a smoker) to wait until I'm back outside and/or in my car. I couldn't stealth vape if you paid me I'm just that uncoordinated. Even around my in laws who are all non smokers, I would go outside...just because it lets me escape the social situation for a few precious moments (or gives me an excuse to walk away from something that's about to trip my trigger). Same with military functions that I can't avoid. I'm going to a free concert on base here in a few weeks (Lt Dan Band!!!) the entire field is non smoking except at the fence line. I might try a little vape there but I doubt it, because I'm there to have fun with my spouse who will be briefly home from temporary duties and I don't want to deal with these people who can't or won't know the difference, or the security

That being said, I like to think I'm still doing my part when it comes to helping people understand. I've taught my kids the difference (one even has chosen to vape instead of smoke and will readily list off the benefits when asked), My mom (who now tells other people when she brags about me quitting), my friends, I've started blogging about it, talking about it on tumblr and facebook.

And you know what? Go ahead and use the "because I can" theory. But don't sit and try to shove that on those that don't roll that way. We're all social creatures, and we all handle that aspect differently. We all have reasons, our own risk vs reward scenarios to deal with, and none of us are going to handle it the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread