The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

vaping at bars

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by cjaholic, Dec 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. cjaholic

cjaholic Full Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Michigan
    I vape mostly in my car, at home, and at work. Fri was my b day so we had dinner and a few drinks at a local bar with about 10 friends. 3 others and myself vape. I am pretty new to vaping and for some strange reason feel hesitant about vaping in public. After our drinks were served and the waiter noticed we were using pv's we were asked to move to a corner table so as not to bother anyone else. We gladly did to avoid any problems but I felt a little discouraged. Why do the people that chose to quit smoking have to hide in the corner while 20 or so people stand right in front of the door smoking with plumes of smoke trailing behind them as they walk back in? Our vapor was hardly noticable.

To sum this up I'm proud I've been cig free for a short time. After this experience I don't feel like an outcast vaping in public. Anyone been asked to move seating?

• Like Like x 1
  2. hyojah

hyojah Full Member

Dec 6, 2014
    Virginia, USA
    Most places in NYC would just give you the boot.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dougiestyle

Dougiestyle Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 5, 2011
    Knoxville, TN USA
    The server probably wanted to diffuse the possibility of some inebriated smoker seeing the vapor and thinking it was OK to light up. Personally, I vape discretely and usually no one knows. I'm not trying to make a spectacle of my vape. I just want to be comfortable like anybody else. I can count on one hand when I've been "caught" vaping. In the future, don't be asahmed to vape, but don't impose on anyone else's comfort and you should be fine. Vape on!

• Like Like x 5
  4. bullet08

bullet08 Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 10, 2014
    USA
    i was at a mexican restaurant couple of weeks back for few pints of beer. i asked the waiter if i can vape. he didn't understand. so i showed him what it was. he said "si". so i just vape there whole night.

• Like Like x 1
  5. HecticEnergy

HecticEnergy Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jan 24, 2014
    TX, USA
    I usually refrain from vaping in public buildings if I'm not in there long - grocery shopping, restaurants and such.
    More to your point: When out with friends (usually stay at restaurant longer) I just try to be discrete. Leave the fog machine at home and blow vapor into my lap, or check the wind when in the patio area so as not to blow vapor into other customers. I've never had a problem here in Texas.

If a no vaping sign is posted I respect it generally (bathrooms are always vape zones in my book). If asked to stop I would. If asked to move, I don't think I'd have a problem, unless it was to a smoke box.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  6. pinkie1205

pinkie1205 Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Dec 3, 2014
    Maryland
    When I'm at a bar, i always ask first. There is one bar (the American Legion) that doesn't allow vaping.

I also don't vape in public places like the grocery store or mall. I don't need nicotine THAT bad that I have to vape while running into a store or whatever.

I also don't vape around my kid. I'm not concerned about the second hand vape, I just don't want him to see me doing it, and I definitely don't want him wanting my piece.

• Like Like x 5
  7. LMS62

LMS62 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Oct 5, 2014
    Mesa, AZ
    So 4 of you were in a fairly busy/crowded bar (I'm assuming it was busy since it was a Friday night) vaping, and the server asked you to move to a corner table so you wouldn't bother other patrons? Sounds reasonable to me.

• Like Like x 7
  8. skoony

skoony Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Jul 31, 2013
    saint paul,mn,usa
    its still up to the owners here in Saint Paul.
    i haven't run into a bar yet where its not allowed.
    Minneapolis just rammed through their ban.
    they even had some bar owners on their side.
    the word on the street is some bars where losing
    serious business to the bars that allowed it.
    regards
    mike

9. Fuzzy Bruce

Fuzzy Bruce Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 21, 2014
    Fort Liquordale, Fl.
    My local watering hole allows smoking and I do vape there. For some reason, there can be dozens of people smoking but the minute I started to vape, the smoke detector was set off. The bartender, my favorite one, just reset the detector and told me to blow down and this would not happen again.

I can only guess the vapor is somehow thicker or lingers longer to set the detectors off. Not a cloud chaser, one ohm total from dual coils on a mech mod.

10. Javamon

Javamon Super Member Verified Member

Nov 29, 2014
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Unfortunately, when all the smoke clears - pun intended :laugh: - many states are going to ban vaping even in bars.
    Which is a shame. It's going to be the classic overcompensation. Since smoking got banned in bars in many states, the same is going to happen to vaping.
    Meanwhile, in a bar setting, with people not sitting on top of each other, there really would be no concern with it.

I'm not a smoker. I was glad when smoking was kicked out in my region. [please don't shoot]
    I'd love to be able to go to a bar and enjoy vaping along with a beverage and some live music. But I know, outside of stealthing, which I'm not going to, it's eventually going to be explicitly banned even in the bars in my region. :(

11. MrStik

MrStik Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 6, 2013
    SoCal
    To me it would just depend on the atmosphere and the policy of the place. In a bar, it would seem to go hand in hand as it is nice when I enjoy a nice beer, bourbon, or glass of wine with my Vape. But of course I am respectful of all the other patrons who do not want to smell whatever flavor I am vaping. Some people would like to enjoy their food and drinks away from fog machines like our mods, and their wishes should also be respected.

Even as a Vaper, I would not like it if I am trying to enjoy a nice steak at a restaurant with the smell of strawberries or buttered popcorn wafting over. But that is just me, and for that reason I would not vape indoors.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Swoozy

Swoozy Senior Member ECF Veteran

Nov 24, 2014
    Honestly I just step outside with the smokers dont want to cause any problems with anybody.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Bunnykiller

Bunnykiller ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Nov 17, 2013
    New Orleans La.
    In New Orleans.... if it is just a bar ( not a bar/grill), vaping isnt an issue, if food is served in the bar then asking to vape is normally answered with "its ok"... but there are a few that have taken on the stance that smoking/vaping isnt allowed.... ( owners preference I suppose)

14. xxJollyRogerxx

xxJollyRogerxx Super Member ECF Veteran

Jun 13, 2014
    Cayman Islands
    That's interesting. I sit under a smoke detector right in my office and I have never set it off. A few times I had some serious clouds going on when I am working on a problem. To the point, one time someone ran into my office to see if there was a fire :D Weird that you would set it off unless you were blowing it right into the detector.

15. Miata GT

Miata GT Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Nov 28, 2013
    Largo, FL
    Regarding smoke detectors; when a new vape shop opened recently the smoke detector had been placed at ceiling level behind the 'bar.' On opening night it became a target, setting it off so often the owner finally pulled the unit down for the night.

Vaping in bars? Yeah I've done it but I don't make it too obvious. I usually have one of my REOs which make a decent amount of vape.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Javamon

Javamon Super Member Verified Member

Nov 29, 2014
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Interesting that a smoke detector can be triggered with vape. Our detector here is pretty sensitive, and it goes off every time we use the oven or cook bacon. :)
    But, I have never triggered it with vapor.

• Like Like x 1
  17. WendyM

WendyM Senior Member ECF Veteran

A lot of bars and pubs here sell minis and disposables from the bar. As I said in another thread, I was once asked to go out with the smokers and I did with no fuss, but when I came back in the manager told me that the waitress was mistaken and I was fine. When I'm out and don't know the policy I ask. One bar owner asked me if I thought a no vaping policy would affect his business and I answered (honestly) that I didn't know but I could see it going either way, that he might attract vapers as customers if he allowed it, or he might lose regulars that didn't appreciate vaping-- so he told me it was fine for that night and he'd let me know if he changed the policy in the future.

Also, I totally agree that the bathrooms are vaping zones.

18. Panther1911

Panther1911 Full Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Suburbs of Chicago
    I usually ask the server/bartender if i want to vape inside the bar/restaurant. Sometime i will go outside with other vapers if it doesnt feel right to vape inside. sometimes i will go outside to vape if people in my group are going outside for a cigarette.

but then again i typically bring my istick/aerotank when going out, i leave the stuff that produces bigger clouds at home

19. ISGRidge

ISGRidge Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 22, 2014
    Ohio
    Only had a problem once in a strip bar. They thought it was an overly aggressive lap dance ;-)

• Like Like x 3
  20. caramel

caramel Vaping Master

Dec 23, 2014
    I'm not frequenting establishments that are not willing to accommodate me.

• Like Like x 6
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.